Shoud I Upgrade To High Sierra?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering if anyone has run into compatibility problems with High Sierra. Is it too soon to update? Thoughts?

Thanks.

I dont use mac but i work for it and many people have problems!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

It's always a good idea to wait some time, no matter what OS you're using. Anyway, think about it, what's the rush? It's just another generic update with couple of new things that won't change the way you use your computer anyway. New features you probably won't even use, so doesn't it worth the risk to screw up your music setup for 7 features you won't use? That's the question I always ask myself when I see new OS updates.

To me, it very very rarely worth the risk. So I never update right away, I wait the other fishes to bite and have troubles. Once they're sorted out, I sync and update :P
Last edited by Neon Breath on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I had no choice, so I am running it on my music Mac. I haven't run into anything show stopping yet. Initially there was a problem with MFL authorization, but that's been patched. If I run into anything, I'll update it here.

I keep my music mac always at least 1 masOS version behind, if not more. Why? Risk mitigation leading to less advil consumption. Apple is really great at breaking things (and charging us more for it).

IRBY wrote:I was wondering if anyone has run into compatibility problems with High Sierra. Is it too soon to update? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Do a search for probs plugins/hosts you own have with HS. Wait until the devs have made a patch, then update. Apple create the probs, devs patch them up. :hihi:

plexuss wrote:I keep my music mac always at least 1 masOS version behind, if not more. Why? Risk mitigation leading to less advil consumption. Apple is really great at breaking things (and charging us more for it).
Wise guy :tu: I do exactly the same.
Fernando (FMR)

Logic rescans DMG plug-ins but other than that it’s been fine here

plexuss wrote:I keep my music mac always at least 1 masOS version behind, if not more. Why? Risk mitigation leading to less advil consumption. Apple is really great at breaking things (and charging us more for it).
Yes, this is absolutely the right way to do with Apple. However, I waited about a week to long and Apple, for the first time ever, decided to remove Sierra from the Apple Store, even for those who had downloaded it once. Unfortunately, I had deleted the download thinking that I could get it again later.

So, that left me stuck having to install High Sierra. It's not my only music machine, so it's not the end of the world if everything doesn't work as expected. I've been pretty surprised at how well it works, but, I have traditionally Mac friendly hardware (MOTU).

You should first check what the developers/creators are saying of the software/hardware or any other equipment you are using.

Im still with 2 versions behind because if i will update to Sierra and later version my Traktor Audio 2 card wich i use for gigs wount work anymore.

i made the mistake with regards to upgrading to High Sierra due to being horny with wanting a new OS and I should have. I use this computer for all my music DAW Composing ETC. It was purring like a cat before this. Now its a bit glitchy with certain things. Just does'nt feel right if that makes sense. I never learn my bloody lesson. No more man. I am going to stick to what the previous poster had said. 'STAY ONE OS SYSTEM BEHIND'. :tu: :clap: :phones:

Not saying this is completely up-to-date, but some useful info. ..

http://www.synth-expert.com/news-blog/2 ... d-hardware

ghettosynth wrote:
Yes, this is absolutely the right way to do with Apple. However, I waited about a week to long and Apple, for the first time ever, decided to remove Sierra from the Apple Store, even for those who had downloaded it once. Unfortunately, I had deleted the download thinking that I could get it again later.

So, that left me stuck having to install High Sierra. It's not my only music machine, so it's not the end of the world if everything doesn't work as expected. I've been pretty surprised at how well it works, but, I have traditionally Mac friendly hardware (MOTU).
Oh well you should have pinged us here. I could have put sierra up on my dropbox for you.

Pprimo wrote:i made the mistake with regards to upgrading to High Sierra due to being horny with wanting a new OS and I should have. I use this computer for all my music DAW Composing ETC. It was purring like a cat before this. Now its a bit glitchy with certain things. Just does'nt feel right if that makes sense. I never learn my bloody lesson. No more man. I am going to stick to what the previous poster had said. 'STAY ONE OS SYSTEM BEHIND'. :tu: :clap: :phones:
After the Yosemite fiasco I no longer consider a new version of macOS to be a good thing. Even though it's new. Maybe this will help: If you get an unexpected bill in the mail, the bill is "new" but is it something you are excited about? That's my feeling about macOS these days.

Fwiw I've upgraded to High sierra and Ableton live 9 standard and Bitwig V1.0 work fine.

Metasynth 5 works until I edit a synth voice.

Korg Gadget LE works

Apple Logic X works obv

Here are a list of plugins I own and have installed that seem to work so far. I still havn't installed all my software onto my new computer yet.

- X-fer Serum
- Crusher-X 5 Mac!
- DCAM Synthsquad V1
- Strobe 2
- Cypher 2
- Geist V1
- Tremor
- Single Mault SE
- Alloy 2
- Ozone 5
- Nectar Elements
- Trash2
- Vinyl
- Spectrumworx (works occasionally, but also crashes randomly too)
- Komplete 10 Stuff works
- Reaktor 6 Works
- Ohmforce Ohmicide
- Permut8 (The other sonic charge stuff works too as I've been using the trials)
- TOGU Stuff works
- All the U-he stuff works
- Waldorf PPG Wave 3.v works occasionally but crashes randomly still.
- Waldorf Edition 2 works fine with no problems.
:borg:

Return to “Effects”