Windows 10 - Fall Creators update (1709) - experiences

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't use Windows 10 but have it installed on a second SSD drive for testing.
I wasn't able to update when the last large update came out, the Updater complained that it wasn't able to change the partition size of one of the couple of partition it seems it thinks it needs. I couldn't figure it out, all the solutions on the web did not work, so in the end I re-installed Windows 10, since I had almost no software installed anyway (just a usable browser and an explorer replacement that doesn't suck as much as the windows explorer does these days).
But now with the fall creators update the same thing happens. Not sure if I care enough to re-install again.
Thankfully it's not my working OS (Windows 8.1 still works perfect for me).
Microsoft really lost it with Windows 10.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

original flipper wrote:Hi

Just curious - I am still on WinXP!!!

How much disc space (roughly) does Win10 (including this latest 1709 update) take up?

Many thanks
"Windows" folder takes around 15 Gbytes, but since installation of 1709 yesterday evening I have "Windows.old" folder equally around 15 Gbytes, probably destined to disappear on next weeks (last time Ccleaner erased it).

I've had a lot of problems with WiFi since installing the Fall update. 1703 build worked fine. There is an issue with some Realtek and Broadcom chips for wifi adapters that support 5Ghz 802.11ac.

Specifically affects ASUS PCE-AC68:
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id ... uage=en-us

I've also had problems with a cheap Realtek adapter as well. Slower 2.4GHz connections seem OK on that though.

Don't forget to have a look and update your board drivers though.On the Asus site there are newer drivers for WiFi ,Bluetooth and for Chipset (ME) for newer boards.I guess Microsoft can't and won't be so fast to include them directly in the major update.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Cubase 8 didn't recognise the drivers for my UR12 after the update.
Fortunately Steinberg has just released a new (beta) driver that seems to work OK, but that was an issue I wasn't expecting.

I've had absolutely no issues with the update, honestly.

xphen0m wrote:I've had absolutely no issues with the update, honestly.
Same here. Almost...
Some negligible settings were reset - the width of the tree-view in Windows Explorer, some default app settings reverted (specifically image and video app settings). Otherwise, no problems at all. All the privacy settings remained intact, ie turned off. Loaded up my current project in Cubase, pressed play, it all worked.
3½ year-old pc, i7 4790k, 16 gbs RAM, RME AIO audio card, the cheapest wi-fi adapter I could find (about £7, IIRC), 2 SSDs, 2 HDDs, DVD, Blu-Ray drives. iLok, e-Liscenser, USB stick for Waves and Plugin Alliance. USB mouse and keyboard. No external synyhs, keys etc.
Funnily enough, I had to manually download the last version (1703) and did a clean install. Not so with 1709. Roll-out seems to be quicker.

Posted via my pc

ThomasHelzle wrote:I don't use Windows 10 but have it installed on a second SSD drive for testing.
I wasn't able to update when the last large update came out, the Updater complained that it wasn't able to change the partition size of one of the couple of partition it seems it thinks it needs. I couldn't figure it out, all the solutions on the web did not work, so in the end I re-installed Windows 10, since I had almost no software installed anyway (just a usable browser and an explorer replacement that doesn't suck as much as the windows explorer does these days).
But now with the fall creators update the same thing happens. Not sure if I care enough to re-install again.

Cheers,

Tom

Did you use a 3rd party partition util to create partitions? That could do it.

UltraJv wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:I don't use Windows 10 but have it installed on a second SSD drive for testing.

Cheers,

Tom

Did you use a 3rd party partition util to create partitions? That could have caused it.

UltraJv wrote:Did you use a 3rd party partition util to create partitions? That could have caused it.
No, that's what I don't understand. It was a completely clean install on an empty 256 GB SSD both times.
The first time I installed it, it was close to the release of W10 and the disk had something like 5 partitions on it afterwards - no idea why so many.
Now there are only two, one 500MB system partition and the rest as normal W10 drive. At least this time it may be easier to solve since there aren't so many partitions, but I have no idea why the installer is unable to fix such stuff itself - can't be that uncommon in the end.
The Win 10 partition has 210 GB free, so it's not a question of space as such. Probably I would need to shrink it, move it to the end of the drive so that the system partition (which I assume is the issue) can be extended and it should work.
May try that on a rainy day ... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

random rise and fall of audio, crackling when hitting strings harder on guitar. Uninstalled reinstalled rebooted same. Uninstalled 1709 same. Says waiting to complete install. Went to Sounds and soundcard and turned off control by apps and seems better. More testing.

Does Microsoft hate musicians?

The fix was to unhook firewire audio card remove from Device manager, uninstall drivers, reboot, install 1709 and two other updates and then reinstall hardware/drivers

The update is horrific.

Two computers of my friends were jacked up. Video, audio...even Skype not working. I reverted back to an earlier restore point, just to have it reinstall the next day, and this time eliminating the previous restore points. So two computers- broken.

Before that I had purposely installed it on my modern high end system (i7 7700, 64gb RAM, Nvidia 1080s, etc.) and it jacked it completely up. Audio had cracking. Weird mouse delays. Slower disk response and load times. So I reverted back and made sure it would never auto install.

This is clearly a case by case thing...but no success over here.

Do you use an antivirus suite? Make sure you deactivate, or even uninstall that before doing the Fall Creator update. It's well known that some antivirus suites cause issues with the big Win 10 updates.

Nope. My system is not online so I keep it antivirus free. That is why I stated I purposely installed it on my system...I had to put it online to try it.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”