Instrumental version of new song (electronic pop)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Though I've been part of KVR for many years, I just uploaded my first tune to Soundcloud and to the Music Café! :tu: I'm very excited really. :)

It's not really the finalized song, as the actual singing remains. In other words, this is just an instrumental version. That said, I think it sounds nice enough to upload.

I could really benefit from some sound advice, like mixing levels and so forth. I use some rather crappy headphones (in fact my cat bit off the sound cable of my other headphones yesterday :lol: ) but hope the levels are somewhat okey. I'd especially like some advice on the mixing apart from bass/treble adjustment (which I presume is a bit off).

The piano is SampleTank Free, everything else is MuLab. The effects on the instruments are from my own MUX, MuT8 (based on existing effects in MuLab). I actually created this track to try out my MUX.

Enjoy (and please be nice :oops: )!

https://soundcloud.com/user-221496479/m ... strumental
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Mix isn't bad. For me, the piano is a little too loud, and Id like some modulation of some sort on the bass synth, which sounds a bit "stiff" and repetitive. Would be interested to hear it with vocals when its finished.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Mix isn't bad. For me, the piano is a little too loud, and Id like some modulation of some sort on the bass synth, which sounds a bit "stiff" and repetitive. Would be interested to hear it with vocals when its finished.
Thanks! Actually there are three bass synths on top of each other (one sub, one FM-ish and one pluck), but I'll continue working on them. :) I'll turn down the piano a bit. At the moment it's repeated more than it will be in the end (so it won't be as repetitive).

Thanks again!

Petter
Go MuLab!

(repeated post)
Last edited by SparkySpark on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go MuLab!

(repeated post)
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Mix isn't bad. For me, the piano is a little too loud, and Id like some modulation of some sort on the bass synth, which sounds a bit "stiff" and repetitive. Would be interested to hear it with vocals when its finished.
Thanks! Actually there are three bass synths on top of each other (one sub, one FM-ish and one pluck), but I'll continue working on them. :) I'll turn down the piano a bit. At the moment it's repeated more than it will be in the end (so it won't be as repetitive).

Thanks again!

Petter
Should mention ... I was listening in my phone, so couldn't hear the sub. Will listen on my monitors later.

Ah - on the phone! :)

Well, my sub isn't perhaps very low, but perhaps it's a bit more body than what you get from the phone anyway. :)

Thanks!
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:Ah - on the phone! :)

Well, my sub isn't perhaps very low, but perhaps it's a bit more body than what you get from the phone anyway. :)

Thanks!
Just had a listen on my monitors. The balance between the instruments is pretty good. The sub is well placed. I'd like the mix to be "wider" or more stereoized maybe, and some movement/modulation on the plucked bass would be nice. It needs a vocal ... or some kind of melody or "ear candy".

Hi again , many thanks!

Yes the vocals will be a nice counterpoint but I will need to work more on the lyrics before I can record it.

Then the arrangement will differ as well to form more of a normal song.

By the way, a reason why the trance chords sound so fat is that I couldn't decide on the chord progression so there are actually two progressions running at once! There's a first time for everything! :lol:

I will take your advice on the bassline and stereo spread. (The backup vocals will probably help too.)

Thanks again for taking the time!
Go MuLab!

enjoyed this :tu:
id cut back a bit on the bass reverb. ;)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:enjoyed this :tu:
id cut back a bit on the bass reverb. ;)
Thanks!

I came to same conclusion a day ago and changed it. :wink:

Really like your setup by the way - almost everything is a HW or SW old synth that I used back in the days. I also own EXT2, which is really a predecessor to MuLab, in my opinion. I recall in EXT1, when the first thing one needed to do was drag in a sequencer :!: module to the modular area!

In the EnergyXT forum on KVR, there is now a great song published, plus a superb video explaining how it was done using EXT2 and VSTs.
Go MuLab!

Return to “Music Cafe”