More RAM or Better CPU?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right now, my PC has:

i5 3570 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
LGA 1155 Motherboard

Should I invest in more RAM or upgrade my CPU to something like an i7?

I should note that I'm using up all 8GB of RAM according to the Windows Resource Monitor.
I plan on reformatting my DAW to see if that would help.

My budget is around $250 (how much 32GB of DDR3 RAM is right now)

Why not add matching 8GB's of RAM more for starters, I can bet you can score it second hand for peanuts these days.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Yeah, double your RAM. Cheap as chips.

Are you using big samples/libraries?

See what your bottleneck is ... Which seems like it is the Ram so upgrade that first then watch for the next bottleneck that comes and adjust accordingly
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Zexila wrote:Why not add matching 8GB's of RAM more for starters, I can bet you can score it second hand for peanuts these days.
I was under the impression that there's a likelihood of the new RAM not gelling with the old RAM.
That it working isn't 100% probable.

I heard you need to buy RAM in batches.

get an SSD if you still haven't.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Apratim wrote:See what your bottleneck is ... Which seems like it is the Ram so upgrade that first then watch for the next bottleneck that comes and adjust accordingly
I wish I could figure out what that was by doing some testing with what I have now.

I'd like to be able to come to a conclusion come Monday for Cyber Monday so I can save some money.

rook takes knight wrote:
Zexila wrote:Why not add matching 8GB's of RAM more for starters, I can bet you can score it second hand for peanuts these days.
I was under the impression that there's a likelihood of the new RAM not gelling with the old RAM.

That's why I said matching and second hand. :tu: Do you have any slots left?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
rook takes knight wrote:

That's why I said matching and second hand. :tu: Do you have any slots left?

I have 2 more available slots.

So you're saying if it works, it works, but if it doesn't then, not that big of a deal.

rook takes knight wrote:
Apratim wrote:See what your bottleneck is ... Which seems like it is the Ram so upgrade that first then watch for the next bottleneck that comes and adjust accordingly
I wish I could figure out what that was by doing some testing with what I have now.

I'd like to be able to come to a conclusion come Monday for Cyber Monday so I can save some money.
while playing audio from daw watch what is nearly full
you cpu meter or the ram usage first
if both peak above 90%
then upgrade both cpu and ram
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Generally speaking, CPU & Ram both are essential components in PC, the best results when they are both clocking at high speed & fully compatible..
For music production 16GB of ram is okay...

rook takes knight wrote:So you're saying if it works, it works, but if it doesn't then, not that big of a deal.
You said that you are maxing your RAM out, so yeah, I'm saying add more RAM for starters, it's cheapest investment you can do right now.

No amount of faster CPU would reduce your RAM usage - it is probably related directly to the sample banks that you use.

On other hand, you are getting around 20% performance boost with something like i7 3770k, even less with i7 2700k, if you can score one of them dirt cheap, why not, if not, it's not worth it in my opinion, that i5 you got is pretty good.

rook takes knight wrote:Right now, my PC has:

i5 3570 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
LGA 1155 Motherboard

Should I invest in more RAM or upgrade my CPU to something like an i7?

I should note that I'm using up all 8GB of RAM according to the Windows Resource Monitor.
I plan on reformatting my DAW to see if that would help.

My budget is around $250 (how much 32GB of DDR3 RAM is right now)
What are you trying to achieve?

Also, WHEN exactly is your computer using up the 8 GB or Ram? Mine literally never does, neither while gaming, nor while making music.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”