Best all-round synth with character?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like what a previous poster said about Falcon. Fantastic synth with an endless amount of ground it covers... It just takes a little work to make it happen if designing sounds.

If by character synths you mean synths with balls, then Bazille and Repro1/5 cannot even come close to putting on a thong. :hyper:

I am yet to dive deep into the other u-he synths (Diva, Zebra 2, Ace) but Zebra 2 might be a nice mix of testicular girth and covering a lot of ground.

You could say zebra if you go dark zebra... but only because of the filters. Personally, I would be looking at Reaktor with the monark block filters with what you are Asking for. I’m assuming the reaktor GUI is big enough though. I don’t own it and I have no idea how big the reaktor GUI is but I’m assuming twice the size of absynth.

You can't just use one synth for everything. This is why people on here have a ton of different synthesizers, because it just doesnt exist.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:You can't just use one synth for everything. This is why people on here have a ton of different synthesizers, because it just doesnt exist.
I think you can come close with Reaktor. It has all the major synthesis types.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:You can't just use one synth for everything. This is why people on here have a ton of different synthesizers, because it just doesnt exist.
Yeah, but it is still Reaktor... which is clunky to use... has abysmal preset handling and is a CPU hog. Give me real synths any day!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Well, yes, and no. The fact that the OP is asking the question in the way that he's asking it is almost a forgone conclusion that Reaktor is not going to be the thing that he's looking for.

For anyone whom Reaktor is a legitimate solution to that question, you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

Reaktor is not a single synth. It's really a host for a different type of plugin that is, for the most part, user editable. In order to learn all of the different synthesis types, you really need to use multiple ensembles and/or create your own.

I agree with vort3x here, there really isn't one synth that will skin this cat. Any synth that tries is usually going to be a compromise in one form or another.

I love Reaktor, but it's not going to be a shortcut to anything. Moreover, I'm not even convinced that "learning all the types" is solid pedagogical methodology. It seems to be the thing that people assert, but when push comes to shove, the delineations between different methods isn't as clear cut as you might think and the devil is in the details.

I also think that character is a bit elusive and isn't always there in the do-it-all synths.

For a good exposure on a budget, albeit, without too much character IMHO, Synthmaster is a good choice.

For a LOT of character and great exposure to basic concepts in subtractive, FM, and PM, you want Bazille.

ACE is the unlucky guy among his brothers and sisters!

If you like ACE, then go for it. It has a different character from Bazille. The only thing I wish it had, is a step sequencer like in Arturia Arp2600V.

But, IMO, before getting any synth, get the Repro couple and see what exactly you are missing then? Maybe Bazille or FM8 after that!

Diva is a very versatile and flexible analogue synth. You get a bunch of different famous characters. It might exactly what you want!

I have all I suggested including ACE. I won't sacrifice anyone of them, as they all wow me every time I play with them :) So, it's a matter of list order more than a choice maybe :hihi:

Synth1. seriously, that thing can sound like just about anything......for free.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Like a few people have posted on this thread, to me, the description "all-round synth" conflicts with the term "character".

Beep Street's - Dagger is one VSTi that instantly comes to mind as a synth with character.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

Character = PPG wave

Whether it qualifies as an 'allrounder' is a matter of opinion, however the spectrum is reasonably broad and the character in fact so unique that sounds made with it are often immediately recognizable as coming from a wave.

(The 8-voice 2.2 emulation i have (Waldorf LE2) is one of my absolute favorites. It doesnt have all the fancy stuff that 2.3* has, still i would never part with it. Really love this machine.)

*EDIT: I should have said 3.V

ENV1 wrote:Character = PPG wave

Whether it qualifies as an 'allrounder' is a matter of opinion, however the spectrum is reasonably broad and the character in fact so unique that sounds made with it are often immediately recognizable as coming from a wave.

(The 8-voice 2.2 emulation i have (Waldorf LE2) is one of my absolute favorites. It doesnt have all the fancy stuff that 2.3* has, still i would never part with it. Really love this machine.)

*EDIT: I should have said 3.V

Well said. Still one of my all time favorites as well. I think Ill ask her out for later in the week and see where we end up. Thats 2v for me. I like the limited features.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I would say Omnisphere...

Speaking abouts synths with character my favorite is Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V but some of my favorite "allround" softsynths that include a lot of features are those:

- KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2.8
- Tone2 Icarus
- VPS Avenger
- Waldorf Largo
- UVI Falcon

FWIW i had used Synthmaster since version 1 and i do not talk about Synthmaster One (most people here will not even remember that version of Synthmaster).

A great combination is importing wavetables created in Icarus into VPS Avenger or Falcon.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: FWIW i had used Synthmaster since version 1 and i do not talk about Synthmaster One (most people here will not even remember that version of Synthmaster).
I happen to like Synthmaster One. It has its own character actually. It is a pretty decent economy all around synth really.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
Ingonator wrote: FWIW i had used Synthmaster since version 1 and i do not talk about Synthmaster One (most people here will not even remember that version of Synthmaster).
I happen to like Synthmaster One. It has its own character actually. It is a pretty decent economy all around synth really.
Well what i mentioned is Synthmaster version 1 (the version before v2), not Synthmaster One...
Anyway Synthmaster One is very nice too. :)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”