33%
CMI
38%
DX7
29%

Total votes: 52

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pick your favorite of the new synths and feel free to discuss them however you like.

I’m going with the CMI only if it has the Series 3 library. As far as the DX7 goes I am satisfied with My FM7 at the moment.

Never cared for DX7 world. The Easel is cool but west coast is not that interesting to me. Being able to do additive over my own samples is cool. CMI kind of sits between full on Falcon/Halion and sample based libraries like from UVI.

CMI in modern modes is cool as heck.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I've used a DX 21 in the 80s and still own a SY99 but use the SY99 only rarely. After so many years I can say, that I don't like FM synthesis :hihi: The DX7 V is not bad, easy user interface ... But not my synth.

The Easel... hmm... I don't know a lot about the west coast style, but it's more an experimental style? So the Buchla fits of course this style but my interest for this style is very limited.

CMI... I've found a lot of usable presets and it makes fun to use the spectral/time synth. It's my favorite synth.

4damind wrote:I've used a DX 21 in the 80s and still own a SY99 but use the SY99 only rarely. After so many years I can say, that I don't like FM synthesis :hihi: The DX7 V is not bad, easy user interface ... But not my synth.
I had a DX-21 also (and liked it at the time), but it can't compare with all the options and nice displays in the DX7 V. I haven't had enough time yet to really try out all parts of this new plugin, but so far it seems great to me.

I vote for DX7 V also due to the bunch of advanced features included compared to the real thing and also the nice user interface including graphical envelopes.

I alraedy created a few patches that would be impossible without the advanced features which includes having the filters and feedback available for each of the operators.
As mentioned in the other thread you also got an additional "global" filter (or more than one) available via the FX section.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

In theory, I like the DX7; in practice every time I play with Arturia's presets or FM8, I realize I am really just not into it anymore.

I thought CMI might interest me, but it really doesn't. I didn't even install the demo.

Easel is going to be one of my favorite softsynths of the year. Partially in its own right, partially for discussions about it leading me to Aalto. :hihi:

West Coast synthesis is still fresh and exciting to me, and this is a flavor of it that my hardware modular -- at least the way I've been patching it, according to my preconceptions and the way my module choices and layout have led me -- doesn't provide. In time, I could likely get into similar territory, and in fact playing with the Buchla plugin has inspired me to work a little differently with my modular. I still think the plugin will be worth keeping though.

"West Coast" has different implications. Some of it is the sort of hippie purist, anti-Western scale, experimental attitude where generative music and impressionistic soundscapes rule. Some is the synthesis method, starting with simpler waveforms and complicating them with FM (dirtier than Chowning/Yamaha and not traditionally with a dynamic "index") and wavefolding, controlling dynamics with lowpass gates rather than VCAs, and different styles of modulation than the Moog ADSR and LFO.

The Easel is close to where I sit with that -- 100% into that synthesis method, and maybe 20% into the experimental philosophy.

Ingonator wrote:I vote for DX7 V also due to the bunch of advanced features included compared to the real thing and also the nice user interface including graphical envelopes.

I alraedy created a few patches that would be impossible without the advanced features which includes having the filters and feedback available for each of the operators.
As mentioned in the other thread you also got an additional "global" filter (or more than one) available via the FX section.
Personally interested most in the Easel but from what I've heard of the DX7 it sounds fantastic...and not because of the emulation but because of the stuff they've added. Thats what I've always liked about these Arturia plugins, there is always something extra that the originals never had (like the extra modulation possibilities on the Jup-8V).

jasonekratz wrote:
Ingonator wrote:I vote for DX7 V also due to the bunch of advanced features included compared to the real thing and also the nice user interface including graphical envelopes.

Personally interested most in the Easel but from what I've heard of the DX7 it sounds fantastic...and not because of the emulation but because of the stuff they've added. Thats what I've always liked about these Arturia plugins, there is always something extra that the originals never had (like the extra modulation possibilities on the Jup-8V).
With DX7 V the additional features are actually quite big, not just a small additon.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

FWIW after alraedy being able to use the included "Time Synth" from scratch i just found how to use my own samples in CMI V. I posted about this in the other V-Collection 6 thread.

To sum it up it's drag&drop of samples from the host browser (Live 9 here) and samples must be at maximum of 30 seconds length at 44.1 kHz (maybe longer with a lower sample rate but i havn't checked that).
Playback quality in CMI V is up to 16-bit/44.1kHz and down to 1-bit/2.1 kHz.
Ingo Weidner

I like all of them, but the CMI V is my favourite, for the moment, with the DX7 V as a close second.
Fernando (FMR)

Actually i like all of the new plugins where i did not check out Easel V really much yet. I am not too much into such kind of modular synths but let's see...

DX7 V and then CMI V are my favorites so far but Piano V2 is also a very nice update with a big improvement in sound quality.
I had posted an audio demo with a layer of Piano V2 and a pad in Repro-5 (a factory preset) here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p6950461

Concerning Clavinet V today i posted a demo where i layered Clavinet V and a Clavinet patch i just created with U-He Repro-5.
A link for the Repro-5 patch and a downlaod for the same Clavinet patch for Arturia Porphet V3 were posted here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6954907
The post with the Prophet V3 patch is found a few posts after the one with the demo.
Ingo Weidner

wagtunes wrote:...feel free to discuss them however you like.
Won't get fooled again.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”