VCVRack 0.5.0 high CPU

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been trying out vcvrack since the first few versions, and constantly find the CPU utilization when I add an audio interface extremely high. I am running v0.5.0 of vcvrack on a Windows10 SP4 with i7, 8gb RAM, 25gb SSD and when I run the app with any audio interface whatsoever, my 4 cores go from idle (2% utilization, ~1.4ghz speed) to a very steady 50%+ utilization, and a constant maxed out 3.20ghz speed. Even an empty rack with an audio interface sees this performance hit.

I have been seeing this since the beginning, and have heard others mention this, but is there a way to use this app without cooking my computer? I so badly would like to enjoy working with vcvrack, but at present, the performance is worse than a AAA game set on maximum, when I only have a single module enabled.

try to tweek you video card.
25% on my i7,normal setting,
12% after nvidia gforce works with the program.in the nvidia control panel,open vcvrack
-with the audio interface on-

kokotte wrote:try to tweek you video card.
25% on my i7,normal setting,
12% after nvidia gforce works with the program.in the nvidia control panel,open vcvrack
-with the audio interface on-
Unfortunately, I do not have an nvidia card, and I am not even sure where to tweak the video card with this laptop.

Andrew Belt here.

I have put virtually no effort into the performance of Rack while it is in Beta. Compatibility, stability, and performance will come later with Rack reaches its Stable release. I cannot compete with large DAW companies just yet on those three fronts, so only time will allow this to happen. I believe it is more valuable for users to be able to use Rack as-is, rather than not use it at all because it's not "perfect". I get this question more than daily now, so I realize how important it is, but it will be a couple months before I can dedicate a week to these issues.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

vortico wrote:Andrew Belt here.

I have put virtually no effort into the performance of Rack while it is in Beta. Compatibility, stability, and performance will come later with Rack reaches its Stable release. I cannot compete with large DAW companies just yet on those three fronts, so only time will allow this to happen. I believe it is more valuable for users to be able to use Rack as-is, rather than not use it at all because it's not "perfect". I get this question more than daily now, so I realize how important it is, but I develop software with my own priorities, and performance is not #1 right now. If only people had patience and were grateful to have it at all...

Hey there Andrew,

I guess I didn't realize the state of the performance aspect of vcvrack, so didn't know what was getting development focus. Do not get me wrong, I bring this up because I want to work with the app, and am grateful for the work that has gone into vcvrack, as this truly is a great project you are working on.

If I could offer two cents from the peanut gallery, maybe address this topic up front on the product site, so beta testers and users know that performance isn't being worked on, so to stop mentioning it. I know I hadn't heard this before.

I'm using it with Windows 11 and i8 with 256GB of RAM, it is quite appalling, too. What are they thinking?! Why am I not able to use this *free* synth in 2020, gosh it's like 2009 all over again. :(
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Fotizimo, I took your advice and added it to the FAQ. https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Return to “Modular Synthesis”