Help: Connect Bitwig 2.0 - XJADEO via Jack MTC on Linux (virtual midi?)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks ASJPlugins for your feedback!

Yeah, that behaviour of the Bitwig timeline is rather annoying, it also does not reset things when you jump to the beginning of a project until you start playback. It's also bad with for instance controllers using motorfaders, since you can't jump to a certain time and see your faders update. Not actually sure why it does it that way, may be a question for support.
I'll write a mail right away.

Thanks and cheers!

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Good news everyone! If you look at the 2.3 changelog you can see this: "FIXED Various issues with MIDI Timecode."

Guess what that means? Yep, you can now use xjadeo synced with Bitwig.

Did you try it on Windows too?
I was under the impression that XJADEO didn't receive anything there and was just plain broken?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Excds wrote:Good news everyone! If you look at the 2.3 changelog you can see this: "FIXED Various issues with MIDI Timecode."

Well, sort of. I tested it this afternoon, playback was choppy, very discontinuous. I may be missing something, but I've used xjadeo a lot in the past (not with BWS, of course). Anyway, I'll keep testing and report back later.

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote:
Excds wrote:Good news everyone! If you look at the 2.3 changelog you can see this: "FIXED Various issues with MIDI Timecode."

Well, sort of. I tested it this afternoon, playback was choppy, very discontinuous. I may be missing something, but I've used xjadeo a lot in the past (not with BWS, of course). Anyway, I'll keep testing and report back later.
Add your findings to the beta testing group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bitwig-beta

ThomasHelzle wrote:Did you try it on Windows too?
I was under the impression that XJADEO didn't receive anything there and was just plain broken?
Nope. I'm not a Windows user (Linux ftw)...

As long as you get midi from Bitwig to xjadeo, it should work.

Excds wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Did you try it on Windows too?
Nope. I'm not a Windows user (Linux ftw)...

As long as you get midi from Bitwig to xjadeo, it should work.
Not necessarily - the last time I tried it, XJADEO did not react to anything I fed it Midi wise.

For now I'll stay with VidPlay I think, less hassle to set up. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:For now I'll stay with VidPlay I think, less hassle to set up. ;-)
Join us at c-base on Monday, I'm going to show how to set it up (well, at least in Linux). ;-)

Excds wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:For now I'll stay with VidPlay I think, less hassle to set up. ;-)
Join us at c-base on Monday, I'm going to show how to set it up (well, at least in Linux). ;-)
For those of us who can't possibly make it to c-base on Monday (or any other day), perhaps you could post the instructions here ?

But after further tests I'm sure the problem here is with xjadeo, not BWS. I've written to Robin, hope to hear back from him soon.

Best,

dp

Greetings,

I reverted from xjadeo 0.8.7 (home-built) to version 0.8.4 from the Planet CCRMA repos. It works now ! So indeed, the problem was with my version of xjadeo, not BWS.

Cool stuff.

Best,

dp

Not having any luck with xjadeo 0.8.7 + BW 2.3. Video follows playhead but that's all. Will try reverting to an older version.

Bah, it works now.... the problem was that I was sending MTC in more than one midi channel of the virtual midi device. Now, I send MTC only on channel 1 and indeed Bitwig works well with xjadeo. Yup! Instructions:
  • Bitwig 2.3 + xjadeo 0.8.7
  • Create a virtual midi device

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe snd-virmidi midi_devs=1
  • Enable "ALSA midi" in your favorite jack config tool.
  • In Bitwig => Settings => Synchronization => Out => Virtual MIDI Channel 1 => Send MTC
  • In JACK patchbay, connect virtual midi out to xjadeo midi in [Alsa seq works better for me]
  • ?
  • Profit!
Be careful not to pollute the MIDI channels going to xjadeo, that confused it big time.
Last edited by ejgallego on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, has anyone tried?:
VSTi video player - http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/videoplayer.html
VidPlayVST - https://www.vidplayvst.com/index.htm

I've tried VidPlayVST in Linux. It is clunky [and wants to install as root] but works. Do you have any specific question?

I think I'll prefer `xjadeo` due to it being more mature, however it is more of a pain to set up.

Well, I've only gotten XJADEO to work. The 'play position' issue is a real pain though.
How about VidPlayVST, did it sync play position for you?

It would be nice if BWS had a video player built-in. Imagine for instance, setting up a bunch of clips; then playing through the video (while recording) and trigger clips to sketch out a 'storyboard.' Then--presuming 'play position sync' is a feature--you could scrub through, adjust and detail.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Return to “Bitwig”