Bitwig File Format Documentation?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
I'm developing a procedural music system for a game, and it would be very handy if I could create material on Bitwig and then import the parts directly in the game engine from the bitwig files. Is there any documentation available that would help with this?

Thanks,

bump

This kind of thing may have been done in the past with Sound Tracker formats, but not with a modern DAW.

If it wasn't a procedural system you were developing I'd suggest rendering vertically interactive stems for mixing in a game engine such as WWise, Fmod or Fabric via Unity.

Can you use smaller renders and work that way?

I think you'll get much more luck with the above than expecting Bitwig to describe or share a proprietary format with you, which I'd guess is 100% not happening. :/

arrakeen wrote: which I'd guess is 100% not happening. :/
I am betting it's more like 120%.

File formats these days if they aren't public protocol don't even have "formats".

Most large programs use a recursive binary writer, as in, as out and unless you could chunk out the riff chunks, if that's how they did it then you have serialized classes and data objects which unless you have that same serializer is virtually impossible to get anything real out of the bytes.
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Yeah, rendering/bouncing parts and then using them in the game engine is what I've been doing so far. But the workflow would be a lot nicer if I could access my parts as data and maybe automating the bounces from the game engine side. And it would also be easier to generate in-game data that matches the musical content.

I'm not really interested in their propietary format, but more in the way to access parts of a project as data that I can use to generate other data. Renoise provides the description of the file formats as well as a very complete scripting API (see here), but I was hoping that there would be some way to achieve the same in Bitwig.

spacepluk wrote:Yeah, rendering/bouncing parts and then using them in the game engine is what I've been doing so far. But the workflow would be a lot nicer if I could access my parts as data and maybe automating the bounces from the game engine side. And it would also be easier to generate in-game data that matches the musical content.

I'm not really interested in their propietary format, but more in the way to access parts of a project as data that I can use to generate other data. Renoise provides the description of the file formats as well as a very complete scripting API (see here), but I was hoping that there would be some way to achieve the same in Bitwig.
Have you emailed Bitwig support and asked them?

Probably Live is better for such applications because its file format is plain gzipped xml. It would be great if Bitwig used xml too - for example for easy recovery of damaged projects.

Return to “Bitwig”