808 emus other than Nepehton?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Just FYI, on the CM 'disk' (at least for cm244) is also the 606/sample version of Audio Realism's drum machine, so you can test drive it and see if the workflow works for you.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I like the d16 ones, but I can't stand the GUIs. I also like the ones where you can mix and match hits from different kits. So that leaves ADM and Wave Alchemy revolution.

egbert101 wrote:Not sure what is wrong with Nepheton. Maybe the ancient GUI or you're bored with the sound. Only thing I know that is as good sounding is Audiorealism Drum Machine.
Nepheton was long abandoned and all new d16 VSTs are C/R
egbert101 wrote:
studiowaveform wrote: D16 are great, and are my first port of call when I reach for a x0x :party:
That's good to hear. I've been thinking about getting Nepheton myself, but I think it's awfully overpriced right now. Since AudioRealism Drum Machine has the 606 and 909 included, it seems to represent better value. I don't think samples will ever cut it for me.
Audiorealism recently perfected the 303 so I would bet on ADM eventually getting there.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Ok, I won't call StiX douchey, but I will say that the CM version is a bit disappointing for one specific reason: the patterns need to be triggered in the previous bar to change in time properly, and there is no drag and drop of midi to your host, something I think all drum machines newer than Microtonic should support frankly. So because of that I loaded Microtonic and am loving it, it isn't an 808 but it is one of the most usable drum machines to this day. I just wish I could get rid of the 2002 era Mac OS appearance.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

StiX : Yes patterns changes will occur on the 1rst beat of the next bar. This has been mentioned already and might be bettered in future versions. And you can export midi in your daw between two locators, wich is much more flexible than a drag'n'drop of a single pattern, if you intend to export more than a pattern that is, but the other method can be preferred/favored for some users.

Regarding synthesis and sounds in StiX : It's multi synthesis ( Pristine analog, FM, Samples, CroSsSynthesis etc) and it has myriads of parameters.(and you can mix all that within each single drum sound) Wich people might enjoy and take advantages of (it's limitless) or find confusing (there's too much, but thats what the 'easy mode' is for, and imho the simple easy mode in StiX (actually a mix of macro and regular commands) can actually make more for you than the most complex modes in many other drum machines).

Anyway,I've only scratched the surface of what StiX can do. Regarding sequencer, patterns and live control, it's easily one of the most powerfull and thoughtfull engines, if not the most complex, if one takes apart some units like the Elektron one in the hardware world ( but this one has also it's limitations with workflow, or let's simply say some particular workflows)

StiX and the 808 : Stix already has a brilliant 808 sample set courtesy of Wave Alchemy. So it's on par with drum machines using samples, minus the round robin part for an unit like Revolution. Now, this beeing said you can do so much more with these 808 samples, or any sample, in StiX, using the synthesis engine(s), that I won't elaborate on this ( Though it should be noted, before someone else does it, that the strict sample synthesis side might be enhanced with basic things like reverse or custom trigger start point in the future)

Now, I'm currently in the process of trying to recreate the different 808 kit elements using synthesis only in StiX. And that's a totally different thing. Some elements work better than others. But I'm also getting some good results. And it might, depending also on Xils will, lead to some nice additions in the analog synthesis engines of StiX, in the future as well ( that's precisely what these kind of studies are intended for). Anyway, I'll post sound examples of all that hopefully in the not so far future, so people will be able to make their own opinion about it.

Besides all that, StiX can produce an awsome variety of drum/percussions/fx sounds. It can be enhanced, regarding sounds/workflow/Effects/content/whatever, and I hope/think it will be the case in the future. But StiX will also certainly be developped content wise by using what it already has. This I can promise ;)

Finally StiX is unique and has no equivalent. As it, it's perfectly normal that not everyone will like it. That's why you have many other drum machines in the market. So that, hopefully, everyone can find the one(s) that work for a project. I already stated that, but I designed StiX because no other drum machine was really satisfying me. To each his own etc etc ...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

One more thing about Stix for me is the price. I understand it does a lot, but perhaps you can make an LE version more powerful than the CM version but not as detailed as the full version. You have done this with a couple other products. I won't be buying it for $199, but an LE version that has, say, limited individual outs
and only easy controls would be interesting to me, provided you fix the pattern start issue I mentioned.

egbert101 wrote: That's good to hear. I've been thinking about getting Nepheton myself, but I think it's awfully overpriced right now. Since AudioRealism Drum Machine has the 606 and 909 included, it seems to represent better value. I don't think samples will ever cut it for me.
Audiorealism drum machine does not have a full 909 emulation. It doesn't have all the controls needed to get some of the sounds.
I find some of the sample packs sound better, but workflow when using them is quite different

studiowaveform wrote:Just wondered if there were any other 808 emus floating around other than Nepheton?
http://dgo.xsrv.jp/vr08/ :scared:

Wave Alchemy Revolution is sample-based. If you're going that route you should take a look at SonicCouture Electro Acoustic. It's got the most lively 808 with many creative possibilities.

braj wrote:One more thing about Stix for me is the price. I understand it does a lot, but perhaps you can make an LE version more powerful than the CM version but not as detailed as the full version. You have done this with a couple other products. I won't be buying it for $199, but an LE version that has, say, limited individual outs
and only easy controls would be interesting to me, provided you fix the pattern start issue I mentioned.
Yes! And like the other "LE's" (counting the lovely miniSyn'X as one too) with serial number protection instead of E-Licenser/iLok please :D :borg:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

yellowmix wrote:Wave Alchemy Revolution is sample-based. If you're going that route you should take a look at SonicCouture Electro Acoustic. It's got the most lively 808 with many creative possibilities.
Agreed. I've got both and unfortunately I picked up Electro-Acoustic 2nd, otherwise I would have been happy with just Soniccouture's instrument.

Yeager wrote:
studiowaveform wrote:Just wondered if there were any other 808 emus floating around other than Nepheton?
http://dgo.xsrv.jp/vr08/ :scared:
Sample based iirc ... cant remember if it sounds good. I'm happy using the 808 drum racks in Live Suite most of the time.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

braj wrote:Ok, I won't call StiX douchey, but I will say that the CM version is a bit disappointing for one specific reason: the patterns need to be triggered in the previous bar to change in time properly, and there is no drag and drop of midi to your host, something I think all drum machines newer than Microtonic should support frankly. So because of that I loaded Microtonic and am loving it, it isn't an 808 but it is one of the most usable drum machines to this day. I just wish I could get rid of the 2002 era Mac OS appearance.
I don't think that look is going anywhere (microtonic)... the recent update just provided an updated HD version of the old look. I actually love it, but I can see why others wouldn't. Still, its become a classic in its own way since it has a unique sound of its own.

Another one (sorry, sample based).

https://beatmaker.xyz/rvk-808/

Return to “Instruments”