add cue marker to timeline on the fly?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can I do this? I thought I could do it as a keyboard shortcut but Insert Cue Marker doesn't come up in the shortcut list!

thanks for tips on how best to do this.

No, you can't.
Really ridiculous that the Action "Create Cue Marker" isn't implemented.

Offtopic: I thought i would give Bitwig 2 a chance (Reaper is my main DAW) but i do miss way too much Actions that i consider evident for a DAW.

I won't extend my Bitwig subscription.
Rob van Hees

yeh, kinda surprising. In my mind, very rudimentary workflow omission. I'd be curious why they left that command out of the shortcut assignment list.

killmaster wrote:yeh, kinda surprising. In my mind, very rudimentary workflow omission. I'd be curious why they left that command out of the shortcut assignment list.
Im hoping they start adding these common practice workflow options at a faster pace man.

Total agreement here.

I don't need any kind of new fancy stuff in BW.
Just the core basic functionality / Actions that make workflow in BW Arrange way more optimized and sped up.

BW really have to look over their shoulder at DAW's like Logic Pro X and Studio One which have an immense arsenal of Actions
which speedup workflow.

Then again, BW is in many ways a sort of replica of Ableton Live, another DAW that suffers from the same minimal arsenal of Actions/functionality in Arrange.
Rob van Hees

I dont get this complain - It would be easier to add it on fly, but why such moarning, since it seem to me that you cant skip between them -what bad joke: manual says: To trigger playback from a Cue Marker: double-click its play icon. I dont wanna bash Bitwig, but compare to Ableton, where you key map next, previous Locator - this is massive downside in workflow. Anyway idea of exporting to audio for further processing any midi track with LFO says no to ableton. I can survive without skip between locator though..

George Sigsally wrote:I dont get this complain - It would be easier to add it on fly, but why such moarning, since it seem to me that you cant skip between them -what bad joke: manual says: To trigger playback from a Cue Marker: double-click its play icon. I dont wanna bash Bitwig, but compare to Ableton, where you key map next, previous Locator - this is massive downside in workflow. Anyway idea of exporting to audio for further processing any midi track with LFO says no to ableton. I can survive without skip between locator though..
Well, to certain extant you can do that - you can map keyboard keys or midi notes to specific markers, eg. marker #1, #2, etc. No next / previous unfortunately. And I agree, this is a huge omission on their part and I can't understand why this option isn't given yet in actions available for mapping :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yeh I was working with markers today and it was a PITA...really basic functionality missing.

Coming from Cubase what I miss is a shortcut to the left locator of the current selection which instantly goes there. Cubase uses the numpad to great effect for useful functions such as play, record, left/right locator and another 7 markers, unfortunately Bitwig does not recognise the numpad at all as an entity which is a shame. I've set some of it up with the same shortcuts but using the numbers is impossible as Bitwig thinks it is the main keyboard numbers which are already used for important stuff.

However I can live with all of that except an assignable 'go to right locator' shortcut, I consider it important for my workflow, but it should also go immediately, not on the next bar. I think Cubase has excellent marker management but I suppose that is because it's embedded within me after years of use.

Bitwig is a really cool daw but the workflow is a bit of a letdown in many ways IMO.
My dream would be a 2.4 that is all about little workflow boosters instead of new devices or modulators.

stamp wrote: My dream would be a 2.4 that is all about little workflow boosters instead of new devices or modulators.
this !

+1.

stamp wrote:My dream would be a 2.4 that is all about little workflow boosters instead of new devices or modulators.

Lets make that 2.3.x and we have a deal. :tu: BTW, I really want to be able to keep the right hand browser folders collapsed by default, actually Bitwig should take a snap shot, sort of speak, of how you leave everything and be able to save that as a default template. We'll save 2.4 for the wonderful sampler enhancements that are sure to come with time stretch, loop fades, and round robin. Drum Machine will get a new built in IO section, and we'll get something comparable to Ableton's "External Instrument" device, or rather it's ability to send MIDI to any multi-out VST and receive audio back from it as if it were a hardware device. Of course advanced tools in the piano roll (poll fav), something like groove pool, Bitwig's new visual scripting for hardware controllers and u-he's new built in low cpu masterpiece because why not? it's all a dream.

Play little :harp: person, play.
-JH

Don't want to disturb the homely group-moaning :hug: but at least the side browser can be collapsed all the time (I have it so) and you can save the state of the GUI and use it as default - that's what I do. Just set up a template (File -> Save as Template) and then select that in Preferences/Settings -> Template -> Use a template for new Projects ... and select your Template.

Otherwise: Keep sending those things to support, Dom keeps a list with feature wishes and how often they come up...

At least we have now finally a locator that actually locates in 2.3, so one half of the wish for better locator handling is already there (and for me the most important part). I didn't even realise this before Matjö showed it at the Berlin User Meeting...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:Don't want to disturb the homely group-moaning

:lol: I was sort of just playing on the complaints and got carried away, lack of sleep.

About the browser, I'm talking about the little arrows in the browser, they're always dropped down/open by default. I haven't found a way to keep them closed. I added a lot of folders (folder inside folders . . .) to get to my categorized sounds/sample library from there and those little drop down arrows will not stay closed so I end up with a long list of open folders of folders instead of being able to just choose one and open it to quickly get into the folder I need. I hope you follow that. :lol: I did say I'm tired.

Anyways, I know where to send the request. Thanks.
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”