Is it time for a post-modern interpretation of nineties music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote:
Vortifex wrote:You need to be genre specific, because the 90s was when dance music blew up and fragmented into many different genres and sub-genres. In the rave scene alone you had Detroit techno, Belgian techno, jungle, dark jungle, hardcore, happy hardcore, hard techno, gabber, acid, and more. Then you also had progressive house, disco house, Italian house, garage, UK garage, Euro trance, big beat, etc etc.
Maybe for people with OCD. :hihi:
Just saying, it's not possible to talk about a 90s sound or offer advice on recreating it without being specific about genre.
Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Sorry, I wasn't around in the 90s.

90's Dark Side Drum & Bass (when it was actually good).

EMU Sampler
Mackie Desk for the overdrive.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:
Robmobius wrote:90's Dark Side Drum & Bass (when it was actually good).

EMU Sampler
Mackie Desk for the overdrive.
Just out of interest, what would have provided the bass?
Usually some kind of analog synth, basically whatever they could get their hands on and mangle. It was all about the EMU's filters and the overdrive. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

My basic style is pretty much stuck in the 90's.. :P

So much awesome, filthy electronic stuff from that era.

The Prodigy, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Switchblade Symphony, Nine Inch Nails, Fluke, KMFDM, Ministry, Rammstein, Soul Coughing, The Crystal Method, etc..

A lot of the Electronic stuff back then was definitely more unique and heavier. Modern EDM is very formulaic and sterile in comparison IMO.

Would love to hear a modern, interpreted comeback of some of those older styles.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nah, let's go back: 808 state.

no really, let's just keep moving forward...

Shit, are you people high? 90's music was crap!

egbert101 wrote:
progtronic wrote:My basic style is pretty much stuck in the 90's.. :P

So much awesome, filthy electronic stuff from that era.

The Prodigy, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Switchblade Symphony, Nine Inch Nails, Fluke, KMFDM, Ministry, Rammstein, Soul Coughing, The Crystal Method, etc..

A lot of the Electronic stuff back then was definitely more unique and heavier. Modern EDM is very formulaic and sterile in comparison IMO.

Would love to hear a modern, interpreted comeback of some of those older styles.
Exactly! :tu: A few others I could name: Future Sound Of London, Autechre, Biosphere, Leftfield, Everything But The Girl, Moby, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Morcheba, Burial, Boards Of Canada, Plaid, Goldie, Plastikman, etc.

And agreed, EDM doesn't inspire me anywhere near the stuff produced during this era.
Agree with you both. I'm into Psy/Goa Music, Ambient and [some] Drum n Bass for this very reason. The mainstream EDM world has gone to poop that's for sure. :P

egbert101 wrote:Yeah, so it's been nearly twenty years, and time for that nostalgia to start kicking in. Nineties electronic music wasn't all that bad. So I've been more interested in trying to capture something of the nineties recently, so what instruments should I use, and what new techniques today can make them shine?
Curious, I've just recently got tired of the Nineties. I still listen to Ambient stuff but the beats seem so...tired or maybe its just me getting tired.

Arcvidean.

Why not just use hardware? Those top digital synths from the 90's are pretty affordable in 2018. Simply check the list of the gear your favorite acts used back then.

I'd start with a SY-99 and JD-990 for that late 90's sound.

progtronic wrote:A lot of the Electronic stuff back then was definitely more unique and heavier. Modern EDM is very formulaic and sterile in comparison IMO.
I actually find modern EDM pop sounds pretty much like a carbon copy of the 90s Eurocheese stuff, just with newer synths and more risers. Which of course aren't the artists you were listing. If you listen to some early mid-90s cheese, it's formulaic in the extreme.

Return to “Instruments”