just M1 and Wavestation vst - or should you get the complete Korg collection?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
midi_transmission
KVRist
191 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 am

By the way, what do you guys think about the MDE-X effects. Usefull and unique or nothing special?

midi_transmission
KVRist
191 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Re: just M1 and Wavestation vst - or should you get the complete Korg collection?

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Just bought the M1 and Wavestation. Ohhh those pads. Love the sound so much. Why does most preset just so much better than any NI preset stuff? :)

I'm hope that I don't regret it later not to have bought the whole collection. :D No, I think it was the right decision, the M1 and Wavestation have exactly that unique rompler sound I was looking for and that is hard to recreate with other VSTi. I don't wanted another analogue sounding synth that I already have with Diva and Repro. I have to remember that...

egbert101
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Re: just M1 and Wavestation vst - or should you get the complete Korg collection?

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:49 pm

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12030 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

layzer wrote: M1 and WS even share some of the same samples.
they can both layer up to 8 patches in a performance/combination
consisting of 4osc for WS and 2osc for M1
but the M1's effects setup has individual inserts per patch layer, WS does not,
making the M1 quite powerful in its sound sculpting
abilities.
Well, I don't care much about effects, frankly. I am more interested in the instruments samples. Does the WS also come with the full spectrum, including pianos, strings, brass, drum sets etc.?

fmr
KVRAF
7604 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:19 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
layzer wrote: M1 and WS even share some of the same samples.
they can both layer up to 8 patches in a performance/combination
consisting of 4osc for WS and 2osc for M1
but the M1's effects setup has individual inserts per patch layer, WS does not,
making the M1 quite powerful in its sound sculpting
abilities.
Well, I don't care much about effects, frankly. I am more interested in the instruments samples. Does the WS also come with the full spectrum, including pianos, strings, brass, drum sets etc.?
The Wavestation is not a "workstation" like the M1. It is mainly a synthesizer (a digital synthesizer). That said, yes, you have some drum kits, pianos, brass, strings, etc. But those are clearly the minority of sounds.

The vast majority are long evolving pads (its strongest point, IMO), synth sounds, etc.
Fernando (FMR)

ramseysounds
KVRist
147 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from London

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Fat line bass preset in Polysix is my goto bass sound. Instant gratification.
Each to their own.
Music rules - there are none

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Would Polysix have anything over The Legend or Repro?

EnGee
KVRAF
4780 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from New Zealand

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 pm

generaldiomedes wrote:Would Polysix have anything over The Legend or Repro?
I don't think so! But it has a nice character.

With only one oscillator, I find it amazing what I can get with it in spite of its simplicity.

Using Legacy Cell is opening a new door for great sounds. So, this is also a reason to have the Polysix ;)
Donate or bid in the "Call to Arms: Charity - 2nd Hand" and/or Visit the main auction here (Till 31st of October 2018).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12030 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:21 am

ramseysounds wrote:Fat line bass preset in Polysix is my goto bass sound. Instant gratification.
Each to their own.
I don't know it, but it seems a simple bass one can easily make on other synths as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvwvNkspuw

K-Bee
KVRAF
2101 posts since 9 Mar, 2009 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:30 am

I got the whole collection bundled with a Korg Taktile a few years ago but I'll have to admit that the M1 and Wavestation are the only ones are use. Both don't sound like anything else and are vital parts of the late 80s early 90s digital synth sound that I love. The analog emulations in the collection sound fine, don't get me wrong. It's just that the analog emulation market is over saturated with new synths (both free and commercial) are being released on an almost daily basis.

ramseysounds
KVRist
147 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from London

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 am

ramseysounds wrote:Fat line bass preset in Polysix is my goto bass sound. Instant gratification.
Each to their own.
I don't know it, but it seems a simple bass one can easily make on other synths as well:
Undoubtedly. I was just using it as an example.
Music rules - there are none

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am

I just bought the Wavestation. I listened to a bunch of M1 patch run-throughs and I think the Wavestation is more versatile, less dated, and fills a niche in my arsenal (long evolving pads). I will probably pick it up the M1 at some point, but in the mean time there are potentially better rompler options such as Xpand!2.

djshire
KVRian
621 posts since 11 Jun, 2011 from Detroit

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:06 pm

I own the M1 and WS (and Mono/Poly).

M1 Strengths
-Great variety of sounds.
-If you're going for a certain sound (like early 90s house), then this is great.

M1 Weaknesses
-You've heard this all before.
-Some of the sounds are dated.

WS Strenghths
-Sounds wonderful.
-Far easier editing than the real thing.
-You can get a lot out of each preset, because you can morph between them with the joystick.

WS Weaknesses
-The sounds can be a bit hard to get right in your mix (they take up a lot of space).
-Getting the joystick to do what you want in automation can be fiddly (at least in Logic 9).
-It may not work in your kind of music (whatever that may be).

layzer
KVRAF
5535 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Each to their own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvwvNkspuw
or you can use Charlatan, 100 times less cpu use than diva, better low end and free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XngQx9Y0G_w
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

V0RT3X
KVRAF
6978 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 pm

:tu:
Developers please focus only on 64bit development. Let 32-bit finally die and become a thing of the past.

Return to “Instruments”