You Will Never Know | 80s-ish-retro-pop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every man and his dog is doing 80s inspired stuff these days. I wouldn't want to seem behind the times, so here's my take on the subject matter from a few months ago.

The song went through various iterations on the IL forums, so thanks to everyone there who provided great feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/you-will- ... king-title

Feedback here is welcome too of course.

It sounds like an early Cure outtake with a drunk Robert Smith on vocals. :) The vox are very different from the other track you posted here. What does Steevm really sound like?

Unlike a lot of other 80s inspired tracks, this does sound authentically 80s. I wish the backing track had a few more surprises.

Great job overall. :tu:

Frantz wrote:It sounds like an early Cure outtake with a drunk Robert Smith on vocals. :)
Yeah, I'm a big Cure fan. Bass is a rip-off of Love Cats, and the end is a little bit Forest-y. Vocals are definitely inspired by Robert Smith. I don't really drink though...
Frantz wrote:The vox are very different from the other track you posted here. What does Steevm really sound like?
Not really sure how to answer that; partly because I'm not sure if that's in reference to my voice, my singing, or my musical preferences. I'm also not sure if I'm the best judge.

If you ask the IL forum (where they've heard a lot of tracks), the answer in terms of overall sound tends to be "Dire Straits" which is presumably down to the Fender sound of the guitars. Other answers in terms of style/vox have included Bob Dylan and David Bowie (the latter presumably from people either fishing for listens or who are tone deaf :lol: ). There are even those who say I sound like Robert Smith on a pint of whiskey.

Edit: Oh, and a lot of people say Falco, and I do have his accent when singing in German.

So, erm, how do I interpret that question?
Frantz wrote: Unlike a lot of other 80s inspired tracks, this does sound authentically 80s. I wish the backing track had a few more surprises.
I was initially very sceptical of instrumentation of the chorus, because it's too obvious and contrived. But I was assured that "sometimes obvious is good" by someone whose judgement I trust. It is pop after all...

Thanks for the feedback!

sjm wrote: But I was assured that "sometimes obvious is good" by someone whose judgement I trust. It is pop after all...

Be careful which internet idiots you listen to... :hihi:

That sounds really good now, so it seems the new speakers are paying dividends. Well balanced and clear with a nice bit of sizzle, and you can hear all the little touches going on with the vocals and guitar.

donkey tugger wrote:
sjm wrote: But I was assured that "sometimes obvious is good" by someone whose judgement I trust. It is pop after all...
Be careful which internet idiots you listen to... :hihi:

That sounds really good now, so it seems the new speakers are paying dividends. Well balanced and clear with a nice bit of sizzle, and you can hear all the little touches going on with the vocals and guitar.
I don't think I've touched it since getting the new speakers. Though there was an old version on SC for a while due to me being an idiot. I updated the track because I though I'd found a newer version, but apparently it was a render of an older version with things missing. I didn't realise for quite a while*, but I think the current version is the right one.

*I'm not really in the habit of listening to my own tracks on SC

it kind of sounds like The Cars to me, it was a good catchy poppy tune
right down 80's memory lane. good job :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

sjm wrote: So, erm, how do I interpret that question?
It was a rhetorical question because the vox did not sound sincere to me. Singing as a Robert Smith-type character is fun but it also sounds like a put on. I think the song would resonate more if it sounds like you mean what you are saying.

Very authentic and brought the 80s era back!

Frantz wrote:
sjm wrote: So, erm, how do I interpret that question?
It was a rhetorical question because the vox did not sound sincere to me. Singing as a Robert Smith-type character is fun but it also sounds like a put on. I think the song would resonate more if it sounds like you mean what you are saying.
Hmm, that's interesting. Because this was actually the first song where I felt comfortable singing. It was this song that made me realise that I'd been singing 1-2 octaves too high all my life and that it was much easier for me to sing low. The vocals between chorus and verse are actually the original ad-libs that I recorded before I had any lyrics. I'd been mucking around for a while seeing what worked, and I just kind of let go and let my voice do its own thing and suddenly it sounded right. So I hit record and rolled with it.

So for me, it was the exact opposite - that's what happened when I let go and stopped trying to sing unnaturally.

The fact that it sounded a bit like Robert Smith (albeit deeper) was an unexpected bonus :)

layzer wrote:it kind of sounds like The Cars to me, it was a good catchy poppy tune
right down 80's memory lane. good job :tu:
Thanks! You're not the first to mention The Cars either. Tbh, they're a band that I'm not that familiar with. A few tunes that I recognise, but that's about it.
Living Room wrote:Very authentic and brought the 80s era back!
Glad you thought so.

I'll let you guys into a little secret. The secret to authentic 80s sound isn't what you'd think it is. It's not the gated reverb snare, the synths and the hairdos, but the fade out.

donkeytugger originally complained about the fade out (it's the refuge of the uninspired for sure), but we did a (non-scientific) study of 80s songs, and you know what? The vast majority had a fade out, and if you concentrate solely on the big pop classics, they all did...

Take on Me, Money For Nothing, Always on My Mind (PSB version), Moonlight Shadow, Livin' on a Prayer, Walk Like an Egyptian, Word Up!, You Can Call Me Al, Video Killed the Radio Star, Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Like a Virigin...
donkeytugger wrote: As a totally scientific test I've just listened to the endings of 10 or so singles from the 80s including Bowie, Echo & The Bunnymen, Lloyd Cole, Def Leppard, AC/DC, U2, Prince, and over half of them have fade-outs. Which did surprise me to be honest.

And most surprising was Killing Joke - Eighties. None more eighties by definition though I suppose.
So there you have it!

Good job. Nice song and groove. thumbs up!

lovely work, to begin with it kicked off like a ska version of no more heroes :o
but once it settled, it became its own thing. albeit an obviously heavily cure inspired track, but lets be honest, a pretty good bunch to be inspired by :)

look forward to hearing more in this vein :)

Very professional approach to 80 s style music. Although it is mostly the vocal that transports that 80s feel. Cure n' stuff like that were already mentioned. Above that very good songwriting and structure. Good song.
Greetings
HM

markkuja wrote:Good job. Nice song and groove. thumbs up!
Kiitos!
vurt wrote:lovely work, to begin with it kicked off like a ska version of no more heroes :o
but once it settled, it became its own thing. albeit an obviously heavily Cure inspired track, but lets be honest, a pretty good bunch to be inspired by :)

look forward to hearing more in this vein :)
Glad you liked it. At some point I'l dig out this other Cure-like track that's been festering for years. No lyrics means it's going nowhere fast.

Right now I seem to be on a commercial 80s guitar pop trip, a lot more upbeat than the Cure. Not sure that's really your thing...
htcnext2 wrote:Very professional approach to 80 s style music. Although it is mostly the vocal that transports that 80s feel.
Danke!

You sure it's not the fadeout?

Return to “Music Cafe”