Cynthia Micro - small, lively subtractive synth - feedback/testers wanted!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I've been working on a small synth VST called Cynthia Micro. It's designed to be expressive and fun with a minimal set of controls. Features:
  • 2 oscillators with 5 waveforms and split knobs
  • FM controls to modulate oscillator 1 or 2
  • Unusual sounding low pass filter
  • Envelope modulation for FM, filter, and volume
  • Vibrato for oscillator 2 or oscillator 1+2
  • 8 voice polyphony and legato mode
Cynthia Micro is still pretty early in development (I'd put it somewhere between alpha and beta), so I'd love if anyone could spare some time to test it! Of course I want to make sure it's bug-free first and foremost, but I also appreciate input on the design.

Cynthia Micro is free and open source.

Download: Itch (currently only VST64, but I will get around to Mac and 32-bit builds)
Source: GitHub

Just pushed an update that expands the FM capabilities - now you can turn FM coarse to the left to modulate oscillator 1, or turn it to the right to modulate oscillator 2.

I think this feels pretty good, but let me know if it's confusing from a user experience standpoint.

I' ll give it a test run.
Right of the bat I can say I dislike an envelope shared by filter and amplitude. I want to be able to manipulate them independently.

Do you consider this an exercise for a more complete synth to come later on? Else I would not really understand why anyone would still invest time and effort into such a basic synth these days when there are so many more advanced ones out there, many to them free.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Do you consider this an exercise for a more complete synth to come later on? Else I would not really understand why anyone would still invest time and effort into such a basic synth these days when there are so many more advanced ones out there, many to them free.
Kind of! This is my first audio plugin, so I wanted to start with something small, and I would like to expand this out into something more versatile later. That being said, I do think there's some benefit to using something minimal - it can push you creatively in ways a powerful synth might not.

Return to “Instruments”