Versilian Studios Chamber Orchestra 2 vs Kontakt Factory?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello to everyone!
I'm looking for best for buck all-in-one orchestra library.
I produce mostly hip hop music, and my go-to orchestra now is Miroslav Philharmonik.
I've got all libraries I need for Kontakt Player, so I don't actually need the full version of kontakt.
So the question is, should I get Kontakt Full for its stock orchestra library or go with VSCO 2?
Is there any users of VSCO 2?

Hi there!

Developer of VSCO 2 here. Obviously I have some bias, but I would note that VSCO 2 is much more comprehensive in every way than the stock Kontakt orchestral library- number of instruments, articulations (including many never sampled before to my knowledge), multiple mic positions for most instruments, more comprehensive recordings, obscure instruments, modwheel crossfading and phaselocking on all sustaining instruments, preset "ensembles" for getting a quick and easy sound for your track. The range of sounds is so wide, I've sometimes forgotten it's an orchestral library.

I've also spoken to a number of users and interested customers at conventions and via e-mails about how well the library works for hip hop and rap, thanks to the availability of a dry mix and large amount of percussion and effects, as well as the more intimate chamber-sized strings sections fitting perfectly into a "studio" sound right off the bat. I don't have any demos on hand that I can show you for that particular direction, but the complete library playthrough playlist should give you a good idea of what to expect with any particular instruments or sounds-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws20z7K ... Vue4jax8ey

Samulis wrote:The range of sounds is so wide, I've sometimes forgotten it's an orchestral library.
I agree. There are many "hidden" gems in the library that could probably stand on their own as single libraries in their own right. Using these in non-traditional orchestral tracks can really spice them up and give them added personality.
I would definitely also think serioiusly about getting full Kontakt at some point. A whole new world has opened up for me with the many libraries created just for it.
If money is an issue, personally I would get Kontakt full first and then either the community or standard edition of VSCO 2. If there's an upgrade path from Standard to Pro, you could do that later.

Samulis wrote:Hi there!

Developer of VSCO 2 here. Obviously I have some bias, but I would note that VSCO 2 is much more comprehensive in every way than the stock Kontakt orchestral library- number of instruments, articulations (including many never sampled before to my knowledge), multiple mic positions for most instruments, more comprehensive recordings, obscure instruments, modwheel crossfading and phaselocking on all sustaining instruments, preset "ensembles" for getting a quick and easy sound for your track. The range of sounds is so wide, I've sometimes forgotten it's an orchestral library.

I've also spoken to a number of users and interested customers at conventions and via e-mails about how well the library works for hip hop and rap, thanks to the availability of a dry mix and large amount of percussion and effects, as well as the more intimate chamber-sized strings sections fitting perfectly into a "studio" sound right off the bat. I don't have any demos on hand that I can show you for that particular direction, but the complete library playthrough playlist should give you a good idea of what to expect with any particular instruments or sounds-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws20z7K ... Vue4jax8ey
Thanks for your answer.
It's always nice to be in touch with developers themselves.
By the way, I've got 2 questions:
1) Does Pro version support Add Library function in free Kontakt Player?
2) Is there PDF file with the instrument list or PDF-manual for VSCO2? I just want to be sure that it has all instruments I need.

Musical Gym wrote:
Samulis wrote:The range of sounds is so wide, I've sometimes forgotten it's an orchestral library.
I agree. There are many "hidden" gems in the library that could probably stand on their own as single libraries in their own right. Using these in non-traditional orchestral tracks can really spice them up and give them added personality.
I would definitely also think serioiusly about getting full Kontakt at some point. A whole new world has opened up for me with the many libraries created just for it.
If money is an issue, personally I would get Kontakt full first and then either the community or standard edition of VSCO 2. If there's an upgrade path from Standard to Pro, you could do that later.
Thank you for your reply.
The problem is that I don't really need Full Kontakt, because for me it would be overload, as long as I don't need all of its scripting abilities, sample editing etc.
All I need is load library and go (and sometimes just tweak parameters with instruments knobs).
And all of my favourite libraries are available for Kontakt Player Free.
That's why I don't see any reasons to buy full version, except for its stock library.

You're welcome; I understand.

Crayzie wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
It's always nice to be in touch with developers themselves.
By the way, I've got 2 questions:
1) Does Pro version support Add Library function in free Kontakt Player?
2) Is there PDF file with the instrument list or PDF-manual for VSCO2? I just want to be sure that it has all instruments I need.
Yes, the Pro version is a proper "Powered by Kontakt Player" Library. It will work in Kontakt Player 5.6.8+ and will appear in your libraries tab once registered via Native Access. :)

Here's the PDF of the manual; the full instrument and articulation list starts on page 35. There's also lots of information, tips, and advice on using the library in there!
http://vis.versilstudios.net/assets/vsc ... al-lib.pdf

On top of that, the 'playthrough' playlist from my previous post will show you how all those instruments sound in practice as well.

Samulis wrote:Obviously I have some bias, but I would note that VSCO 2 is much more comprehensive in every way than the stock Kontakt orchestral library
Would you say the same is true when compared to what comes with Komplete Ultimate, namely Session Strings Pro and the Symphony Essentials series?

Some context: I'm just starting out and I have only Komplete 11 Ultimate*. I'm interested in Chamber Orchestra 2, but I'm not sure if it offers anything over what I already have. I'm not any good at orchestrating (yet!), so I'm looking for something to practice with before I invest any serious money.

* It's actually still on its way. Really new to all of this...

Juhazea wrote:
Samulis wrote:Obviously I have some bias, but I would note that VSCO 2 is much more comprehensive in every way than the stock Kontakt orchestral library
Would you say the same is true when compared to what comes with Komplete Ultimate, namely Session Strings Pro and the Symphony Essentials series?

Some context: I'm just starting out and I have only Komplete 11 Ultimate*. I'm interested in Chamber Orchestra 2, but I'm not sure if it offers anything over what I already have. I'm not any good at orchestrating (yet!), so I'm looking for something to practice with before I invest any serious money.

* It's actually still on its way. Really new to all of this...
VSCO 2 Pro and Symphonic Essentials, for example, are very comparable in size (16 GB vs 18 GB) and general features. Both use legato emulations (only the Symphony Series {not Essentials} has true legato), but VSCO 2 Pro has multiple mic positions for most instruments, which Essentials does not.

At the end of the day, they are very different creatures that serve very different tasks and suggest contrasting ideas of what good music is (something comparing the demos makes quite clear I feel). VSCO 2 Pro has a much wider palette of sounds overall, with all sorts of folk flutes, a full set of sSATB recorders, harpsichords, solo strings, and lots of unusual articulations you won't find even in high-end libraries. On the other hand, Symphonic Essentials dedicates more of its space to higher sample density (which VSCO 2 Pro sacrificed slightly in order to achieve the former).

In short, developers make choices about how to use their time and hard drive space most effectively; in a sense, the two libraries are like two sides of the same coin.

With that in mind, I would suggest VSCO 2 Pro is an ideal compliment to Symphony Essentials or any "backbone" library above that by providing instruments with a sound and character those libraries don't offer. Personally, I use it in this way regularly. I prefer the percussion, auxiliary instruments, and ensemble patches of VSCO 2 Pro, but often use high end libraries (e.g. EW Hollywood Series, Spitfire, etc.) or live performers in tandem to fill in when I need bigger strings or an exposed solo instrument in a critical piece.

That's not to say it does well on its own- I think the demo pieces overall speak well to what the library does without any synergy/help. But in light of your question, I would say that they most definitely pair quite nicely and fill in gaps for each other very effectively.

to my ears Hip-Hop doesn't even try to have realistic Round-Robin strings and brass sounds

its more like those Daft-Punk Machine gun effect

all u need is some Vynil Samples and anything that can playback them
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:to my ears Hip-Hop doesn't even try to have realistic Round-Robin strings and brass sounds

its more like those Daft-Punk Machine gun effect

all u need is some Vynil Samples and anything that can playback them

Yeah, I agree.
Of course hip-hop doesn't require high-end orchestral libraries like VSL, East West etc.
But for the most part I make non-sampled beats with rarely sampled stuff as addictional elements

Return to “Instruments”