Empress Effects - Zoia (bonkers stomp box)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFT5Ta ... e=youtu.be

f**k man... it reminds me a bit of the TC Fireworx but with a more tactile interface. Still looks like it could be a bit fiddly with only 1 encoder and such a tiny oled.

I would have a ton of fun with this thing.

hmmm very interesting! :o

could be lots of fun, their previous pedals are pretty damn good too, although this certainly goes in to new territory. an fx pedal/sequencer/synth, closest previous thing i can think of would be the kaoss pads i guess? obviously, very different in execution, but as a package i mean.

the more vids i see of this from namm, the more i want to play!

i think i can justify it to the gf with "look at the pretty colours" :hihi:

I've been going round and round about getting something new to spice up my guitar rig. I wanted to pull the trigger within the next few weeks, but was still waffling over a Red Panda Tensor or the HX Stomp, when this came up on my radar.

This is "The One" (95% sure). I'm hoping to order it within the next 2 weeks. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it is once I've had a chance to get into it.

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

yeah id be interested.
it's still on my list :hihi:

went down the euro rabbit hole so pedals mostly got put back a bit, but now as that's nearing completion ill be looking to fill the floor with more toys :D

I was looking at this too.

Then I started to wonder about things like latency and phasing, and how much the cpu can handle before maxing out a patch. Supposedly the reverb algorithm pushes it pretty hard, but then reverb is a heavyweight effect. Empress know their reverb.

I wonder if it’s fun to program, or if it gets annoying, flipping through the mini pages. I dug pretty deep into SunVox last year and it looks like the Zoia could scratch a similar itch, but then it’s hard to know how that might go without having a go.

I’d definitely be interested to know what people make of it, so yes, please do share your experiences :)

colonel_mustard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 am I was looking at this too.

Then I started to wonder about things like latency and phasing, and how much the cpu can handle before maxing out a patch. Supposedly the reverb algorithm pushes it pretty hard, but then reverb is a heavyweight effect. Empress know their reverb.

I wonder if it’s fun to program, or if it gets annoying, flipping through the mini pages. I dug pretty deep into SunVox last year and it looks like the Zoia could scratch a similar itch, but then it’s hard to know how that might go without having a go.

I’d definitely be interested to know what people make of it, so yes, please do share your experiences :)
Interesting box, and if I were performing live it would be a godsend, but all those things put me off too. I'm just not willing to deal with some tiny display and lots of menus. Not anymore.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:23 am
colonel_mustard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 am I was looking at this too.

Interesting box, and if I were performing live it would be a godsend, but all those things put me off too. I'm just not willing to deal with some tiny display and lots of menus. Not anymore.
I wonder what the buttons feel like. Are they pleasingly springy? They look like they might be.

If Empress want to send me one, I'll review it. Right here ;)

This is my one which arrived yesterday: I'm still just scratching the surface of what can be done, but certainly it has a good range of FX - reverbs, delay, flanger, ringmod, bitcrusher etc - all of which sound very good to my ears.
As I'm sure you know, it also has some excellent generative music functions too.

In terms of size, it is just smaller than 6 x 4 x 2 inches.

It's silver 'big' knob feels sturdy and its rubber buttons feel springy - however, I do wonder how long they will last / stay on if not enough care is taken of them. For instance, I will be using the Zoia in my studio as FX for my synths so I reckon I will be okay, but I'm not sure whether a gigging guitarist might find that all of the buttons last as long on their Zoia as on mine?

The screen size (which is under my cover with the red label in that photo) is surprisingly readable - even more so given that my eyesight is getting worse.

Of course, there'll be a fair few music stores with these coming in during the next few weeks across America and Europe, so I'd recommend having a feel / play with this device close up if you're unsure.
For myself, the controls will be fine as I intend to be reasonably delicate with my operating of this Zoia device in my studio for my synths.
I'm just not convinced that the buttons will remain on if used a heavy-handed, or uncareful, musician to be honest.

nice. look forward to a bit more when you've had a play :tu:

vurt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:56 am nice. look forward to a bit more when you've had a play :tu:
:tu:
It's definitely one of those devices that I want to get to know inside out - particularly with the generative music features.

dark water wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:52 am This is my one which arrived yesterday: I'm still just scratching the surface of what can be done, but certainly it has a good range of FX - reverbs, delay, flanger, ringmod, bitcrusher etc - all of which sound very good to my ears.
As I'm sure you know, it also has some excellent generative music functions too.

In terms of size, it is just smaller than 6 x 4 x 2 inches.

It's silver 'big' knob feels sturdy and its rubber buttons feel springy - however, I do wonder how long they will last / stay on if not enough care is taken of them. For instance, I will be using the Zoia in my studio as FX for my synths so I reckon I will be okay, but I'm not sure whether a gigging guitarist might find that all of the buttons last as long on their Zoia as on mine?

The screen size (which is under my cover with the red label in that photo) is surprisingly readable - even more so given that my eyesight is getting worse.

Of course, there'll be a fair few music stores with these coming in during the next few weeks across America and Europe, so I'd recommend having a feel / play with this device close up if you're unsure.
For myself, the controls will be fine as I intend to be reasonably delicate with my operating of this Zoia device in my studio for my synths.
I'm just not convinced that the buttons will remain on if used a heavy-handed, or uncareful, musician to be honest.
Thanks for the first impression - It does look exciting. I want one to explore myself but I'm holding back for now. Maybe after I sell some gear. I hope you have a great time with it and become ultimate master of all that generative stuff, and the rest. Lots of potential here.

With no experience of the Zoia, and not having read the f***ing manual, I'll say that I want metamodules (i.e. save patches as modules to drop into other patches) and a full range of midi ins and outs and internals (which it might have?) and maybe a separate box of knobs to control cherry-picked macros via midi.

I'd hope for (expect, actually) a few updates along the way. Empress Effects has a good track record of looking after their wares after they've sold them - from what I've read about the echosystem and reverb at least - so I think this is just the beginning. Not to dismiss the significant development time ;)

Anyway, carry on. Exciting times these.

colonel_mustard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:57 pm Not to dismiss the significant development time ;).
i prefer that to buying something the devs weren't even happy with, that needed constant updates to get to their vision.
updates to add stuff later, fine, but better to wait for something that wows me than something that becomes a chore :hihi:

also pretty interested in this. i think it would pair really well with my deluge....and not just because of aesthetics. :wink:
ImageImageImage

Have just seen the (current) module list here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =729380617

By golly, I'm tempted. Still weighing up the time investment, which I expect would be significant. Can't buy anything for a bit, anyway.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”