What you think is missing on the today soft-synth market?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not much.

After quite some consideration: an Arp 2600 emulation with the quality of the repro engine. :party:

Edit: and a ms-20 emulation. :party:

One synth that does everything, and well.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I'd really like to see soft synths with a new type of user interface. Until now, most of the soft synths on the market have been designed with the typical hardware faders/knobs design. It's fine but I'd like to see UI that bring a new approach to modulation and sound creation.

Like a UI aimed at musicians/producers who are in the middle of their track (= who need a good sound quickly to keep the creative flow) which focuses more on immediacy, sound motion and with some type of randomise feature to get a new playable sound (something "usable"). Meanwhile to keep the possibility to have the full control of the engine on another page for example.

Good base example are from synths like Synplant, Aparillo's orbiter or the orb in Omnisphere. I like XY pads were you can throw modulations on it and then when you change the cursor position and you've got a smooth variation of your sound.

Soft Synths can be so much more intuitive and fun to use. For me the UI is 50% of the sound. If a synth has the best filters, oscillators, huge features, etc but a terrible UI I don't touch it.

Other than that, I always like poly-synth that feature independent voice modulations/filter/distortion/pan/tune... It makes sounds more organic!
Last edited by sinemotor on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

e@rs wrote:Synplant 2.

Good call.

Although I put it another thread, I'd still very much like to see a decent softsynth emulation of this (rather temperamental but great sounding) synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bte1wyaG9k

Then again, Diva may be in a similar ballpark for some of these thick sounds.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:That's an issue with most of our beloved "regular" VA synths as well. The only ones i know with proper analog modelled filters are Diversion and Dune 2 (even though i don't happen to like the filters in Dune 2 very much...). As much as i like the general character of the filters in Spire, for example, they really lack a bit when you crank up the resonance. It gets all whistle-y then. Still hope that they up their game with some new filters at some point, or introduce those in Spire 2.
What's the point of cranking up resonance, anyway? There is hardly any musical value in my view.
Nor do I know what it is supposed to sound like. Hardware synths did not sound all the same, either...
I love my resonance high and saturated. Adds wonderful harmonics.

One synth still missing - the perfect one :)
The one you can put every soundsource as osc or wavetable and use one or many parts you like through different synthesis,the one you can show what you want it to do - like AI Synth,the one you can absolutely intuitive create cool sound in seconds cuz is so nice and easy to work with you can't resist to play with :)

e@rs wrote:Synplant 2.
One of the best facets of Synplant (that I rarely see mentioned) is its ability to have a different sound for each key! That's a feature option I'd like to see further explored/developed!

I was listening to some Reaktor sequencers recently, and while the sounds appealed to me, the sequencers themselves got pretty monotonous, quickly. Even with the ability to change scenes to vary the beat, I still found these sequencers monotonous. I would love to see a good, multi-layered sequencer attached to a sampler/synth that allows you to create a beat on top and then enable you to create and weave various sub-rhythms in and out below the main beat—in addition to being able to change scenes.

If something like this already exists, please excuse my ignorance and point me toward the product. Thanks

chk071 wrote:That's an issue with most of our beloved "regular" VA synths as well. The only ones i know with proper analog modelled filters are Diversion and Dune 2 (even though i don't happen to like the filters in Dune 2 very much...). As much as i like the general character of the filters in Spire, for example, they really lack a bit when you crank up the resonance. It gets all whistle-y then. Still hope that they up their game with some new filters at some point, or introduce those in Spire 2.
What's the point of cranking up resonance, anyway? There is hardly any musical value in my view.
Nor do I know what it is supposed to sound like. Hardware synths did not sound all the same, either...
Different analog filter designs vary quite a bit in how they react at high resonance. Some of them produce pure sines, some squeal and shriek and growl and whine, some of them get quieter, some go unstable, some drift away from the cutoff frequency, some of them don't self-oscillate and remain completely tame. And indeed some "go all whistle-y."

There are musically useful applications for at least some, if not all, of those behaviors in a lot of people's view. Whether they're analog hardware or not.

I want a synth that i can connect to my brain, and it renders the sound exactly how i hear it in my head. And less than 100euros vat included.

A proper Ensoniq VFX emulation.
no, the UVI inspired rompler doesn't count. :pray:

also Ensoniq fizmo :idea:
Last edited by layzer on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Cinebient wrote:
I love my resonance high and saturated. Adds wonderful harmonics.
Indeed. It's also nice for fx sounds, and, filter FM can be a very musical thing (in terms of synthesizers) as well. If it was for me, every synth could have a analog modelled filter which sounds like Monark's e.g.

izonin wrote:Andromeda A6 emu
Me too :tu:
izonin wrote: JD-990 emu
It's coming to a Cloud near you :wink:
izonin wrote: V Synth emu...
Hopefully, when the Cloud will become less dense, they will turn to this one too. :pray:
Fernando (FMR)

Some very good emulation like doepfer dark energy 2 / arturia microbrute & minibrute / mfb 1:1 emulation / a 64 bit version of araldfx dks pro / the saturation from filterfreak in 1 plugin with only 2 know : in/out...

Brother Greg wrote:I was listening to some Reaktor sequencers recently, and while the sounds appealed to me, the sequencers themselves got pretty monotonous, quickly. Even with the ability to change scenes to vary the beat, I still found these sequencers monotonous. I would love to see a good, multi-layered sequencer attached to a sampler/synth that allows you to create a beat on top and then enable you to create and weave various sub-rhythms in and out below the main beat—in addition to being able to change scenes.

If something like this already exists, please excuse my ignorance and point me toward the product. Thanks

the very thing you where using does it :D

being modular, you can load up more of the sequencer module to attach to the instrument module.

Return to “Instruments”