Oldest plugins you still actually use

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V-Station and Bass Station still get use from me.
Both are good for Bass.

It's a bit mind boggling to me now, but I actually paid for both the Sound Designer reverb and ES2 synth plugins which were made in-house by Emagic, who, at the time, owned Logic prior to Apple. I can't remember what I paid for the ES2, but the Sound Designer was around four hundred quid, which was a significant outlay for me then. I don't use the ES2 much these days but I do still use Sound Designer an awful lot. At the time (around 2003) it was positioned as a head-on competitor to Altiverb (released a year earlier), in what was then a pretty uncrowded marketplace of convolution reverbs. I still love its 'Large Spaces' folder, and the halls in particular are really very good, even now.

For third party stuff, I still have installed my (G-Media now G-Force) Oddity running alongside the Oddity 2. It is so modest in terms of cpu that I can run gazillions of them without ever approaching a problem. To my ears, there are very few soft synths that have come along that approach the musicality of the Oddity. Native Instrument's Monark has been the only plugin mono-synth that has grabbed me in the same way.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. It's great to be reminded of everything that has come, gone and stayed over the last 15-20 years.

Oldest one that I still use.. hmm

Waldorf Edition
:borg:

Absynth 2 - The modulation options keep it fresh-sounding. Or at least good-sounding. :D
A well-behaved signature.

Soundtoys bundle since about 2010 still my main effects.

Jax Pok wrote:Soundtoys bundle since about 2010 still my main effects.
Not very old but ok.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:
Not very old but ok.
Well, it is for those of us who have been using them since the TDM days. The first time I used Echoboy on a PTHD system was in 2006.

Sampletron, within Sampletank 3
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

justin3am wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
Not very old but ok.
Well, it is for those of us who have been using them since the TDM days. The first time I used Echoboy on a PTHD system was in 2006.
2006.. thats pretty old indeed. :D
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I just remembered I still use Spectra, by Kjaerhus Audio. I don't know what it is about it, but it always sits nicely in a mix.
PITA to program anything on purpose, but many happy accidents.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Zebra 2 - purchased at the pre-order price when v2 was first announced

Expert Sleepers' Meringue & Augustus Loop

Analog Warfare v1 and v3

Delay lama :clown:

Also:
Vanguard, Superwave TrancePro.

Got some more on my system still for legacy/opening old projects but I don't really use them on new projects anymore. (Variety of Sound stuff mostly)

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:ErsDrums by Andreas Ersson
Oh yes, and most things Andreas created really. I still have polyiblit installed, I think the sound is showing it's age (bit brittle?) but still has a place. And Lazysnake! What a versatile plugin, had such a nice low end I used it for bass a lot of the time.

Return to “Instruments”