Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
captain lysergicacid
KVRist
33 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi!

I've searched before, but all i found was the wrong information and/or deadlinks.

My question is, is there a VST (in my case mac vst for ableton) where the VST puts the right midi into a midi track?

For example, i click C Minor, and it puts C minor in the midi editor?

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17198 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm

That is something that is supposed to be a DAW feature, not something a plugin can do. Plugin could only output notes but you'd have to record that in realtime.

User avatar
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5092 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 933-Scaler
Supports drag and drop into the DAW.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17198 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Yeah only d&d would work, but not a single click.

User avatar
Pytchblend
KVRian
533 posts since 4 Jul, 2011 from UK

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 am

Chordspace (not Chordspace Playa) - http://www.chordspace.com/ChordSpaceindex.htm

User avatar
captain lysergicacid
KVRist
33 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 am

Hi!
Thanks everybody!

I have found exactly what i was looking for:
http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85tHygqKq0

A great VST for FREE(!)

It helps me a charme with my new launchpad:
Image

User avatar
dangayle
KVRian
795 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Can't you do that with a combination of Ableton's Chord and Scale devices?

User avatar
bharris22
KVRian
1406 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Very interesting - the horizontal pads on the Launchpad all automatically trigger the corresponding chords in Tonespace? Did you need to do any special setup to get have Launchpad do this, or simply select Launchpad as the midi input device?

User avatar
risome
KVRAF
1980 posts since 30 Oct, 2006 from Australia, NSW

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:29 pm

http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for ACE,PREDATOR,SYNPLANT,SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and Ableton LIVE Packs
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

User avatar
captain lysergicacid
KVRist
33 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 pm

bharris22 wrote:Very interesting - the horizontal pads on the Launchpad all automatically trigger the corresponding chords in Tonespace? Did you need to do any special setup to get have Launchpad do this, or simply select Launchpad as the midi input device?
You mean like, if i press the bottom left knob on my launchpad (midi note c) that it automatically plays e.g. C Major?

Just select midi at "Trigger", then whatever button i press on my launchpad, it will play the set up chord (major, minor, minor 7th, minor 6th, and so on ......)

Romantique Tp
KVRist
266 posts since 2 Nov, 2015

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Cubase has this stuff built right into the piano roll/key editor, along with chord inversion, drop notes, and adding the highlighted notes to the chord track, which has a ton of different uses including scale correction and arpeggiation.

User avatar
bharris22
KVRian
1406 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:48 am

captain lysergicacid wrote:
bharris22 wrote:Very interesting - the horizontal pads on the Launchpad all automatically trigger the corresponding chords in Tonespace? Did you need to do any special setup to get have Launchpad do this, or simply select Launchpad as the midi input device?
You mean like, if i press the bottom left knob on my launchpad (midi note c) that it automatically plays e.g. C Major?

Just select midi at "Trigger", then whatever button i press on my launchpad, it will play the set up chord (major, minor, minor 7th, minor 6th, and so on ......)
That is what I mean, but when I press the leftmost button in the next row up (i.e., the leftmost button in the seventh row down), I don't get a C. I would love it if each row could repeat, such that the first seven buttons in each row of the Launchpad would simply match the chords shown in each row of the Tonespace screenshot above. If you can get yours to do this, would you mind helping me?

Thanks!

Trancit
KVRAF
1840 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 am

Romantique Tp wrote:Cubase has this stuff built right into the piano roll/key editor, along with chord inversion, drop notes, and adding the highlighted notes to the chord track, which has a ton of different uses including scale correction and arpeggiation.
As has Waveform 9...
I don´t know the implementation in Cubase, but in Waveform tracks can listen to each other or the chord track and follow changes in the chord progression...

Very nice implementation, which is quite useable and comes often in handy

User avatar
captain lysergicacid
KVRist
33 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:36 am

bharris22 wrote:
captain lysergicacid wrote:
bharris22 wrote:Very interesting - the horizontal pads on the Launchpad all automatically trigger the corresponding chords in Tonespace? Did you need to do any special setup to get have Launchpad do this, or simply select Launchpad as the midi input device?
You mean like, if i press the bottom left knob on my launchpad (midi note c) that it automatically plays e.g. C Major?

Just select midi at "Trigger", then whatever button i press on my launchpad, it will play the set up chord (major, minor, minor 7th, minor 6th, and so on ......)
That is what I mean, but when I press the leftmost button in the next row up (i.e., the leftmost button in the seventh row down), I don't get a C. I would love it if each row could repeat, such that the first seven buttons in each row of the Launchpad would simply match the chords shown in each row of the Tonespace screenshot above. If you can get yours to do this, would you mind helping me?

Thanks!
Eeeehm... so, let me get this straight one more time:

My setup is as following:
Image

So from left to right:
1 - C ; 2 - C# ; 3 - D ; 4 - D# ; 5 - E
Then one row up:
6 - F ; 7 - F# ; 8 - G

... and so on, and so on

So, if i have set up Major, and i will press button one it will play C major, if i press button 6, it will play F Major


And you want to arrange it like that:
Image

So, if i set up major, and press button one, it will play C major.
If i press the left button on top of button one, it will play C major, but one octave higher..


Right?


To be honest, i have no idea.. I am very new to this whole DAW / Launchpad thing...

But my guess would be MIDI Mapping..

I know there are other scripts you can use for the launchpad as well.. e.g. this one (Push script for the launchpad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIidvnGvZZY

Search for Midi mapping (or maybe this is wrong, then search for scripting or something like that)

But unfortunately i have absolutely no idea how to rearrange the midi notes

User avatar
bharris22
KVRian
1406 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Re: Is there a VST that puts the MIDI of Chords into ableton?

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:18 am

Thank you very much for your help. I actually figured out how to do what I was describing with J74 Iso Controllers (https://fabriziopoce.com/isocontrollers.html), which permits a large variety of Launchpad setups for DAWs other than Ableton (Ableton is included as well, though). Between J74 and Tonespace, I can now easily trigger individual chords with one push of a button in any selected key :).

Return to “Instruments”