Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5958 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 pm Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

biomechanoid wrote:
Romantique Tp wrote:What was the issue? If you couldn't activate your license at all (which I've never seen happen with Halion) you could just have messaged asknet support and asked for a refund. No need to get PayPal involved.

I got the download links on their website at end of purchase process, but the purchase didn't show up in the existing Steinberg account I was logged into, and I didn't get any emails with authorisation info. Therefore I can't authorise as I have no codes to input. Emailed both Steinberg & Asknet asking politely for help multiple times, literally zero response. Asknet didn't respond to multiple messages via Paypal before I opened dispute either. :help: FWIW, there are others on Twitter reporting similar stories with Steinberg support at the moment.

Anyway, probably not the right thread for this.

This is the reason I won’t buy Halion. I love it’s sound and capabilities. But support has been atrocious. I’ve tried asking them technical questions about their product and they just don’t have a clue. Too much separation between the developers and support.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Romantique Tp
KVRist

266 posts since 2 Nov, 2015

Postby Romantique Tp; Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 pm Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

You could use the forums. The developers browse them, but there are few questions that couldn't be answered by another Halion user, unless you're having some obscure technical issue.
fmr
KVRAF

7139 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:18 am Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

biomechanoid wrote: I got the download links on their website at end of purchase process, but the purchase didn't show up in the existing Steinberg account I was logged into, and I didn't get any emails with authorisation info.

Something terribly wrong must have happened. You should have seen the activation code to download the license IMMEDIATELY at the purchase page, right after the payment have been confirmed. You don't need anything else.

With that code, you only have to open eLicenser Control Center and download the license to either a soft eLicenser (in your hard-drive) or to a physical eLicenser. I did many purchases at Steinberg and never had a single issue so far.

Sure, you also should have received the activation code by e-mail.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:42 am Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

Romantique Tp wrote:You could use the forums. The developers browse them, but there are few questions that couldn't be answered by another Halion user, unless you're having some obscure technical issue.

I tried the forum forever and got no answers, multiple posts. I was trying to find out how pitch bend is per note as per the VST3 spec, and aftertouch does not respond per channel. Also where is the brightness modulator that is part of the VST3 spec. Nobody would answer and support had no idea what I was talking about. In essence I was trying to figure out how to use it with MPE hardware outside of cubase. I went back and forth between bitwig and steinber with each kind of blaming the other it was annoying, but Steinberg would not answer simple questions.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
felis
KVRist

291 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Postby felis; Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:16 am Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

fmr wrote:
biomechanoid wrote: I got the download links on their website at end of purchase process, but the purchase didn't show up in the existing Steinberg account I was logged into, and I didn't get any emails with authorisation info.

Something terribly wrong must have happened. You should have seen the activation code to download the license IMMEDIATELY at the purchase page, right after the payment have been confirmed. You don't need anything else.

With that code, you only have to open eLicense Control Center and download the license to either a soft eLicenser (in your hard-drive) or to a physical eLicenser. I did many purchases at Steinberg and never had a single issue so far.

Sure, you also should have received the activation code by e-mail.

Yes - and make sure to print everything out. Easy to miss, and easy to forget stuff if you don't.

About support - I've never had good luck with support about more technical questions from any company.
At least there are forums now where you can ask stuff.
Years ago, I had to figure everything out on my own.

I recently contacted Alesis asking about if any of their controller boards had release velocity,
because their manuals don't have midi implementation charts anymore.

The response I got was that release velocity is aftertouch. :nutter:
:hihi:
:dog:
npg.org
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

felis wrote:
The response I got was that release velocity is aftertouch. :nutter:
:hihi:
:dog:

Just wow. I've gotten some pretty dumb answers from technical support of many companies where it's clear I know more about their product then they do, but I've never heard that one!
felis
KVRist

291 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Postby felis; Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 am Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

I got the impression that it might have been some young kid who was new on the job.

Even if he had no clue, he should have asked someone who did before responding.
Also, I wrote back again and never got another response.

But that's getting pretty far off-topic. I like Halion a lot. It can do most things I ask of it.
Sure, there's some stuff I'd like to see added, but I think it deserves a far greater audience than
it's getting.
I've also got Kontakt and like that one too. It's got greater support, but for me, it's not as flexible.
They both have their strengths.
npg.org
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5301 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 am Re: Steinberg HALion | Behind-the-Scenes Developer Interview

I still find distributable content creation very difficult in Halion. Which is weird since to me, it's way easier to make my own content than Kontakt or Falcon. But the steps to get the interface, scripts and distribution options for a well curated set of samples and patches are convoluted and twiddly. So, I'm not surprised that we haven't seen an influx of content. In contrast to Falcon which releases patch libraries regularly. Neither gets the instrument content that Kontakt does, but Falcon is at least getting some instrument based library content along with the preset/patch sets for the various engines.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments