Hans Zimmer Strings release

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hans Zimmer releases a fart. So what?! (as long as he wasn't standing too close of course).
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Call me old fashioned but, does this instrument sound good.

Jax Pok wrote:Call me old fashioned but, does this instrument sound good.
I thought the same and felt in love. One of the few things i really sure i will love and preordered. Well, i just hope the version 1.0 of Spitfire Audio´s own engine plug-in is bug free :o

Well I can't see how anyone can say that doesn't sound good. It sounds fuckin awesome.
I feel like that's the only thing you can hardly argue against (of course someone will, but that's ok).

I'm not a Spitfire customer nor a potential customer in the medium-to-short term (I'm on ComposerCloud which is way more than I actually deserve to have), but arguments against marketing and branding strategies, pricepoint, filesize, don't take anything away from how good this new library sounds.

Sounds incredible. :love:

Niowiad wrote:Well I can't see how anyone can say that doesn't sound good. It sounds fuckin awesome.
I feel like that's the only thing you can hardly argue against (of course someone will, but that's ok).
It does indeed sound lovely, especially the textures. But I will of course accept your challenge...

There are three main issues with HZ strings (well, three that don't involve resource use, price etc).

First, 60 cellos really doesn't sound very different from 20 cellos in day to day use, there's a law of diminishing returns at a certain point. Yes, it sounds huge, but other libraries can sound pretty much as huge with a fraction of the players. If you're feeling really fruity, you can even double a couple of libraries up - even there you'll notice it doesn't sound twice as big, but you get the idea. There's some kind of inverse logarithmic thing going on when it comes to scale.

Second, its not a library designed or conceived to play conventional orchestral material - its jut not set up that way. So its great for cinematic hybrid modern Hans Zimmery type stuff (funny that), but if you need anything to fit into a classic soundstage with other orchestral material, you might run into trouble. The demos that are least convincing are those that try to use it more classically, and they're made by the finest demo writers in the business.

Third, its a BRAND NEW SAMPLE PLAYER. Personally I wouldn't go near that until its put some miles on the clock and the wrinkles are ironed out. Cough PLAY cough.

Don't get me wrong, there's a huge amount to like about the library, and I may well get tempted in the future. Personally I'm hoping that further down the line they'll release a version that has just 3 mic positions rather than 80 gazillion, and that will massively reduce the file size and make it practical on a laptop too.

Most of all... I would like those soft, dreamy, feathery textures, cos they're really lovely.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Well, I listened to the 25 minute video and all I can say is this. Overkill without the over improvement over what's already out there.

As was pointed out above, law of diminishing returns. Sure, it sounds great. So does EWQL Hollywood Diamond Strings. And for doing basic stuff like I do, I don't need Hans Zimmer and his 30,000 mic positions and play techniques. I'm not going to be doing film scoring.

For somebody who IS doing film scoring, they're not using a sample library for the finished product. And you don't need something this over the top for a mock up.

Please don't get me wrong. It sounds great. But nothing that I heard blew me away to the point where I felt I needed to sell a crap load of stuff to be able to afford to buy this (I don't even know what the price is)

It's a niche product if ever I heard one.

And I am most definitely NOT in that niche.

noiseboyuk wrote:
Niowiad wrote:Well I can't see how anyone can say that doesn't sound good. It sounds fuckin awesome.
It does indeed sound lovely, especially the textures. But I will of course accept your challenge...

There are three main issues with HZ strings (well, three that don't involve resource use, price etc).

First, 60 cellos really doesn't sound very different from 20 cellos in day to day use, there's a law of diminishing returns at a certain point. Yes, it sounds huge, but other libraries can sound pretty much as huge with a fraction of the players. If you're feeling really fruity, you can even double a couple of libraries up - even there you'll notice it doesn't sound twice as big, but you get the idea. There's some kind of inverse logarithmic thing going on when it comes to scale.

Second, its not a library designed or conceived to play conventional orchestral material - its jut not set up that way. So its great for cinematic hybrid modern Hans Zimmery type stuff (funny that), but if you need anything to fit into a classic soundstage with other orchestral material, you might run into trouble. The demos that are least convincing are those that try to use it more classically, and they're made by the finest demo writers in the business.

Third, its a BRAND NEW SAMPLE PLAYER. Personally I wouldn't go near that until its put some miles on the clock and the wrinkles are ironed out. Cough PLAY cough.

Don't get me wrong, there's a huge amount to like about the library, and I may well get tempted in the future. Personally I'm hoping that further down the line they'll release a version that has just 3 mic positions rather than 80 gazillion, and that will massively reduce the file size and make it practical on a laptop too.

Most of all... I would like those soft, dreamy, feathery textures, cos they're really lovely.
I can perfectly agree on that, Absolutely.
I just said sound-quality is probably the only thing which really cannot be put in question, mainly referring to the two posts above mine. :wink:

wagtunes wrote:Well, I listened to the 25 minute video and all I can say is this. Overkill without the over improvement over what's already out there.

As was pointed out above, law of diminishing returns. Sure, it sounds great. So does EWQL Hollywood Diamond Strings. And for doing basic stuff like I do, I don't need Hans Zimmer and his 30,000 mic positions and play techniques. I'm not going to be doing film scoring.

For somebody who IS doing film scoring, they're not using a sample library for the finished product. And you don't need something this over the top for a mock up.

Please don't get me wrong. It sounds great. But nothing that I heard blew me away to the point where I felt I needed to sell a crap load of stuff to be able to afford to buy this (I don't even know what the price is)

Well, it was already used in Dunkirk :)
Like some other Spitfire libraries recorded at AIR studios it will go well along these.
Of course the up to 26 mics might be over the top but you can mix them up like you want and experiment with it...that´s exact what i like to do....even if i don´t score a blockbuster.
I also don´t think you can get the results by doubling just smaller ensembles.
I mean there are choices in this library from 20 players in different sections as well as 60 players.
I also think it´s for those soft articulations which never was recorded with this size yet.
I personally don´t have any large string libraries so it will fit my needs for sure and i don´t have much overlap.
It´s just a little dream for me come true to can play with these tools at an affordable price.
I mean it´s expensive, €599 intro and later even €799 and i had to save up and made a lot extra hours at work to can buy this. But it makes me happy....even before i have it in my hands.
I´m a fan of HZ in general but his name on the product does not influence me in any way to buy it. I listened to all the demos and walktroughs and read the manual and thought about what i want to do and it is worth it for me even when i´m just an hobbyist making no money with these tools.
We live in great times and everyone must know what he/she likes and if he/she gets value out of something.
I can´t wait to play with it (as well as with Albion V which i mainly got for the brass and winds content).

wagtunes wrote:For somebody who IS doing film scoring, they're not using a sample library for the finished product.
A lot of people who are doing game soundtracks will be using this (and other products like this) for the finished product.

I agree it doesn't sound that amazing when compared to what's already out there, however.

Guenon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:For somebody who IS doing film scoring, they're not using a sample library for the finished product.
A lot of people who are doing game soundtracks will be using this (and other products like this) for the finished product.

I agree it doesn't sound that amazing when compared to what's already out there, however.
A lot composers use both and layer also real samples with synths and virtual instruments anyway these days.
Just watch some of the JunkieXL you-tube videos.

Cinebient wrote: Well, it was already used in Dunkirk :)
Thats a good enough reason to not buy it. He ruined that film, and did a similar job with BR (tho the film itself was pretty poor)

AnX wrote:
Cinebient wrote: Well, it was already used in Dunkirk :)
Thats a good enough reason to not buy it. He ruined that film, and did a similar job with BR (tho the film itself was pretty poor)
That is of course your valid meaning. Doesn´t mean it´s a fact :wink:
Edit: I even don´t saw the film nor did i heard the soundtrack.
It was just an example. These tools get used (as part) of movies as well.
It´s not about sounding like HZ, it´s more to use these tools and make your own thing with it.
Like said, we live in great times.

Cinebient wrote:A lot composers use both and layer also real samples with synths and virtual instruments anyway these days.
Yes.

I mentioned games especially, because there are a lot of productions these days even in the mobile ecosystems where an absolutely professional "large" sound is needed, and the budget isn't going to budge for an actual symphonic booking.

wagtunes wrote:Well, I listened to the 25 minute video and all I can say is this. Overkill without the over improvement over what's already out there.

This thread is not about Wagtunes but Hans Zimmer strings, stay on topic please :)

But i agree, comparing to majority it is a niche product, but that niche is big enough to make profit imo :) definatly a release not a for a regular joe :)

As some one already pointed out, for video game soundtrack creators this will definatly gonna be useful :)

But man, that size library takes is wow, beyond me! :D

Return to “Instruments”