A really, really good USB-hub?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a Macbook Pro user - you know what the score with Apple is on connections :dog:

It seems like I buy a new usb-hub every year or so, and they all end up in my big bag of computer peripherals that might be used one day (it's more like a graveyard of SCSI cables and other weird stuff).

What I'm after is a really solid USB 2 hub that can charge my phone, my headphones, being able to give enough power to run external 2.5 inch hard drives etc. If it will cost it will cost - I already spent a bloody fortune on hubs that suck.

What would you recommend?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

a) get a usb charger for equipment, fits in any outlet wall socket.

But try to replicate original charger that came with equipment.

Example
My original phone charger do 0.7A.
If you go 1A is quite ok.

But if you do 2A or more, you might charge too quickly and wear down batteries quicker, and also not delivering duration like on more normal charge for a longer time.

Normal usb 2.0 port is 0.5A ability, and usb 3.0 port 0.9A - so there is what equipment usually want.

b) get any usb hub where you actually need a computer connection

I use the HooToo 9 port hub(2 charging + 7 usb),been using it for 2 years no complaints.I think Anker do one too that did well on reviews

lfm wrote:a) get a usb charger for equipment, fits in any outlet wall socket.

But try to replicate original charger that came with equipment.

Example
My original phone charger do 0.7A.
If you go 1A is quite ok.

But if you do 2A or more, you might charge too quickly and wear down batteries quicker, and also not delivering duration like on more normal charge for a longer time.

Normal usb 2.0 port is 0.5A ability, and usb 3.0 port 0.9A - so there is what equipment usually want.

b) get any usb hub where you actually need a computer connection
I really really don't want to go that route. Not just because it would give me bloody wall-warts all over the place - but also because I often need to connect phones, tablets, hard drives that require usb energy - to the computer for sync and stuff. And that would make it look worse than today - cables everywhere.

@ere2learn Anker - I'm not too familiar with brands on usb hubs but I heard about them. They seem to have a reliable reputation.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

EXSYS USB 3.0 Metall EX-1188HMS HUB

I bought it on amazon. It’s made by a manufacturer of professional server rack equipment i especially like that each port is individually protected against all kinds of power spikes, grounding issues, etc.

I used to get sparks when connecting my old hub to a computer, i had a ground hum issue when connecting my drum computer via USB and the old hub would crap out with more than 3 external drives connected. All solved with the exsys.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”