Identifying EZDrummer Patterns Once They've Been Dragged To Your DAW?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Once I have dragged a midi pattern out of EZDrummer 2 onto a track in my DAW, is there any way to identify where in the EZDrummer library that pattern came from? I've tried to drag the midi pattern onto the "midi drop zone", but nothing happens. Isn't there some kind of tags embedded in these clips that can tell me what library it came from, what song title, what variation, etc.?

I asked this identical question several years ago. I believe you should be able to identify the midi pattern when dropped in the midi drop zone. So sorry, I can't remember the details, as I was just frustrated the same way you are.

As far as dragging it out of EZ into your DAW, I don't believe there is any way other than re-title it in a organized way where the name could help you navigate to the correct midi file.

I can't believe Toontrack doesn't simply label them. I've always preferred Addictive Drums for several reasons, and this loop identification is one that I can add to my list. When you drag a midi loop out of Addictive Drums, that loop is labeled telling you what library it's from and which variation you selected etc. This just feels like a common sense thing that everyone would want. Hard to believe Toontrack overlooked this.

Not at my DAW but I’m pretty sure Superior Drummer does identify where the midi files originate from but unfortunately EZD uses a more simple file description I.e. variation 1, variation 2 etc

I'm pretty sure this is a very recent change for both EZD2 and SD3. If you update to latest versions of either / both, you can drag a clip from your DAW to the midi drop zone and it automatically recognises it (this didn't work until I updated). What I'm not so sure about is whether or not this works on older clips - I'd have thought it does, it seems to do a scan from the midi you've dropped to match whatever is in the library. Very neat.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: you can drag a clip from your DAW to the midi drop zone and it automatically recognises it (this didn't work until I updated). What I'm not so sure about is whether or not this works on older clips - I'd have thought it does, it seems to do a scan from the midi you've dropped to match whatever is in the library. Very neat.
Dragging a original EZD2 drum pattern from your DAW to EZD2 and it recognizes the drum pattern? I never knew that. How would that work if you slightly alter the drum pattern in the DAW before dragging to EZD2? Is EZD2 going to recognize it?

For the OP if no one else chimes in with an answer, I would suggest asking Scott at the Toontrack forum. I did, and he explained it very well.... Being away from my studio is a real drag!

greggybud wrote:Dragging a original EZD2 drum pattern from your DAW to EZD2 and it recognizes the drum pattern? I never knew that. How would that work if you slightly alter the drum pattern in the DAW before dragging to EZD2? Is EZD2 going to recognize it?
I just tried it, dragging a groove back after I changed a snare and a kick in the pattern. It still came out as the top match in this example, with the match at 91%. So in other words, its not working on embedded metadata or anything, it treats it like any other groove and will find the closest match(es). If its unaltered, it would be a 100% match every time I guess.

Really nice feature imo.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I found my post in the Toontrack forum. The only way I think it could work from the DAW is as noiseboyup said above.

https://www.toontrack.com/forum/ezdrumm ... n-cubase8/

From Scott@Toontrack:

"I can tell that in Cubase 6.5, if you dragged a MIDI groove from the browser, the MIDI track would take the groove. It annoyed me. When I dragged another groove next to the first groove, the track name would change to the new groove name...and so on as I built my track. It ended up being useless for telling me what groove I had. This was EZD1 BTW.

Now, with EZD2, I drag my grooves to the Song Track. After assembling my drum track I drag the whole thing to Cubase. I leave all the MIDI in the Song Track however. I click the unsync button so I don't have a doubled sound. This way, if I want to edit in Cubase I can, but I also have the grooves I used in the Song Track as a reference. I can right click on any groove in the Song Track and see where it came from."

So I guess the only solution is to drag into the EZ2 song track, click unsync, and drag into the DAW. This way you still have a reference left in the Song track.

Return to “Instruments”