What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yellowmix wrote:A good filter plugin implements: * Good filters
After long consideration, I tend to agree here.

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:There's that itch again, I guess I'll buy this one soon :)
https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-filter3/
LFO tool on steroids..

I sometimes use heavy filtering followed by distortion for creating interesting (in my world) pads and drones.

SMH wrote:Envelope followers! :tu:
Pretty much this, if I remember right, you have a free effects plugin with uhe Zebra, that allowed you to use Envelope generators. Alchemy had it too, i'm yet to find more. Massive's ADSR is quite funky for filter modulation.

I love filters like the ones you get in Tone2's filterbank 3, Etch from FXpansion

I recently got Metafilter from Waves, which is pretty cool.

I used to have a couple from Christian Budde, that were really nice too. Can't remember their names tbh, I think they were just basic LP HP and BP filters, and a butterworth one.

Engineers filter was nice and surgical. Most were buggy in 64bit DAW's so I stopped using them and just used Bifilter2 from Tone2 for all surgical cuts.

Basically I love filters and the more you can modulate them, the more fun they are.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:
SMH wrote:Envelope followers! :tu:
Pretty much this, if I remember right, you have a free effects plugin with uhe Zebra, that allowed you to use Envelope generators. Alchemy had it too, i'm yet to find more. Massive's ADSR is quite funky for filter modulation.

I love filters like the ones you get in Tone2's filterbank 3, Etch from FXpansion

I recently got Metafilter from Waves, which is pretty cool.

I used to have a couple from Christian Budde, that were really nice too. Can't remember their names tbh, I think they were just basic LP HP and BP filters, and a butterworth one.

Engineers filter was nice and surgical. Most were buggy in 64bit DAW's so I stopped using them and just used Bifilter2 from Tone2 for all surgical cuts.

Basically I love filters and the more you can modulate them, the more fun they are.
I've been getting into Polyana FX lately. Came included with the Polyana synth. You can play it's filters with a keyboard to make 'filter organs'. Check out built in patch #2 'polyphonic comb'. And of course it has synth envelopes and LFOs too for lots of modulation possibilities and you can also make envelope followers of the input audio with it's mod mixer. Very powerful effect and great synth too!

Keytracking. I really like keytracking. The ability to track cutoff to MIDI notes just opens up so many possibilities. Cranking up the resonance, it's easy to produce some basic physical modeling or modal synthesis type sounds, but even if you're not pushing the filter into self-oscillation, it can be really nice to have a subtle resonant peak following along a few octaves above the fundamental of a melody or bassline. Or you can use it to play arpeggios or countermelodies or whatever you like, as long as the filtered signal has some harmonic content in the range you're trying to emphasize.

SMH wrote: I've been getting into Polyana FX lately. Came included with the Polyana synth. You can play it's filters with a keyboard to make 'filter organs'. Check out built in patch #2 'polyphonic comb'. And of course it has synth envelopes and LFOs too for lots of modulation possibilities and you can also make envelope followers of the input audio with it's mod mixer. Very powerful effect and great synth too!
Hmm, i didn't know that Polyana has FX instance, interestingly.

c_voltage wrote: Hmm, i didn't know that Polyana has FX instance, interestingly.
Sure does! :love: And of course it keytracks midi too. And it filters in polyphonic!

what do i want in a filter?
as i own zebra, i don't need anything more than zebrify, but what's important to me is envelope followers (including transient follower), and the ability to have multistage envelopes that are triggered by midi notes (especially if you are giving us combs and resonators).

it also needs to have a lot of low cpu filters included, if it's going to be my goto track insert.

if its going to have a multipoint lfo (like cableguys etc), then you will need optional snap to grid for the points, otherwise i wont want it

Zebrify, that was it.

Are there any other filters that have MSEG's ? That HY looks promising but maybe EG's more like MASSIVE, set shapes ?

LeVzi wrote:Zebrify, that was it.

Are there any other filters that have MSEG's ? That HY looks promising but maybe EG's more like MASSIVE, set shapes ?
In answer to my own question, Tal Filter2 does this, but it's limited in filter types. But it does work.

DiversionCM FX has it, but it's really bad for the GUI.

A complete filterbank with loads of filter types and modulation options would be awesome, if any devs are stuck for a project ! One with infinite MSEG and drawing methods, freehand, set patterns etc. (lol)

LeVzi wrote:Are there any other filters that have MSEG's? That HY looks promising but maybe EG's more like MASSIVE, set shapes?
Synthmaster can be used as an effect, and it has MSEGs as well as all sorts of other modulation options. I haven't played around with the effect version of SM much (there was a bug that kept it from working in my DAW until recently), but it definitely has all the makings of a really versatile filtering/mangling toolbox.

Modulation options. Audio fm. Highly configuarable gain staging between filter stages, input, output stages etc. Bizzare filter modes/ responses.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I really just want a modern Kjaerhus auto filter with more modulation options, and different filter models with adjustable slope.

The Chase wrote:I really just want a modern Kjaerhus auto filter with more modulation options, and different filter models with adjustable slope.
It would be amazing if someone were to revamp the VoS and Kjaerhus plugins. Make them 64-bit at a minimum, and maybe even add resizable interfaces.

(Hey, we can dream, right?)

Return to “Effects”