Getting a Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am getting a Minilogue to get some analog sounds in my songs. I will use it to do bass (layered with software), leads, brass, pads, strings, FX, and other stuff. I am going to program patches and put a demo for them on YouTube when I get it. These will be free patches, not really EDM though, more pop, 60’s-90’s analog style synth sounds, old school electro funk and rap, Asian instrument style patches (analog koto, analog sitar, analog rebab Indonesia, analog cross mod gamelan, etc.), and emulations of acoustic sounds.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Awesome! I've got a Minilogue and love it more than any other piece of gear I own. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do and I'm looking forward to your free patches!

That's great news. I recently got a Minilogue and haven't really been digging that much into it. Love to check out the patches in order to see what this beast can do. Much obliged :-)

I wanted to ask this question in new thread but since you own it, I kindly ask it here:

Is minilogue tru analog hardware synth or digital recreation of analog circuitry?

Thanks.

Minilogue is analog hardware with digital control and modulation (except sync/crossmod which are analog) and digital delay.

EvilDragon wrote:Minilogue is analog hardware with digital control and modulation (except sync/crossmod which are analog) and digital delay.
Thanks. Does it mean oscillators and filter section are analog and other sections such as lfo, sequencer, arpeggiator, envelopes, patch manager, visual display, etc. are managed digitally. So, we hear digitally controlled analog sound. Correct?

Well, not quite, digitally controlled analog would imply DCOs. Minilogue has VCOs. Modulation was done digitally on lots of vintage analog synths (i.e. Oberheims), so Minilogue is no different in that regard (I wouldn't exactly equate "digital modulation" with "digital control" personally). It's analog where it matters (VCOs, VCF, VCA).

Dee.P.Tree wrote:I wanted to ask this question in new thread but since you own it, I kindly ask it here:

Is minilogue tru analog hardware synth or digital recreation of analog circuitry?

Thanks.
It's an analogue synth that sounds less (way less) analogue than most of the good software emulations. :tu:

You're not really making any good points as (which was my point) software does it better. The Korg Mini/Monologue do not sound good, they are sold on price, not on quality. If I was the OP I'd go for much better analogue synths like SE-02, Dreadbox or Vermona stuff and leave the polyphony to something like a System 8 or other boutique emulations.

What you have shown in those demos can be covered by anything.

Here are some digital synths doing it better, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprp_lkShBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fgt4bMaPjg

If those two examples I posted don't sound good to you, I've nothing else to say. Minilogue definitely sounds very good.

I don't find any of the Korg synths to be sounding particularly exciting, but, that's just me.

tehlord wrote:The Korg Mini/Monologue do not sound good, they are sold on price, not on quality.
While the first seems to be entirely your opinion on which the great majority disagrees, have you actually checked the quality of components that are used on Minilogue's PCBs, that you can say with absolute certainty that they are not quality parts? Sure, meeting a price point is definitely a factor, but that doesn't automatically mean that the sound is shit. Because it isn't.

A $500 price point for an analog synth with digital control represents breakthrough pricing. Regardless, no matter what you think of the sound there is no evidence that the Minilogue is "sold on price, not on quality". Respectfully, that is nonsense. The build quality is very good and its sound has earned it many fans.

Find a new polyphonic $500.00 VA hardware synth that sounds better than the Minilogue (which is analog where it matters) and post some superior analog sound examples.

Once you've done this then I think your argument that "What you have shown in those demos can be covered by anything" will have some credibilty. A $2000 Nord is not just "anything.

EvilDragon wrote:
tehlord wrote:The Korg Mini/Monologue do not sound good, they are sold on price, not on quality.
While the first seems to be entirely your opinion on which the great majority disagrees, have you actually checked the quality of components that are used on Minilogue's PCBs, that you can say with absolute certainty that they are not quality parts? Sure, meeting a price point is definitely a factor, but that doesn't automatically mean that the sound is shit. Because it isn't.
I owned both the Mini and Monologue at the same time as owning 10-15 other digital and analogue synths. Synths ranging from Boutiques to Moogs to Dave Smith's and a Virus. In comparison, the Korg's sounded awful. Yes you can coax some decent sounds out of them, but with other synths I don't have to coax. The Korgs sell on price alone.

I have several sound designer pals who agree with my opinion, people who program synths and make sounds for a living, as I do. Now I'm well aware that this qualification doesn't entitle me to more valid opinion than other people, but I don't think it's a coincidence that every single person I know that programs sounds for a living, thinks they're undesirable.

I don't form opinions based on Youtube demo's anyway.

If you're starting out and just want something pretty to sit on your desk and a lot of functionality for the money, they're great.
Scotty wrote:
the Minilogue (which is analog where it matters)
What does that even mean?

'Analogue where it matters' means to me that it sounds analogue, that they should have that indefinable beef and girth. They do not succeed there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”