Synth/Effect that can subtract spectrum A from B in real time?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,
Playing with ReaFir and enjoying building spectrums for eq:ing. Are there any vstis that can do the same thing, ie build/load a spectrum B and subtract B from other spectrum A. Any basic vst that can hold multiple spectrum B:s so one could choose/play different B:s to subtract from A? Sort of like an 'inverted' vocoder.
Anything similar of interest!
Regards,
/S

The thing about an impulse response is that it is effectively subtracting from the effected signal's spectrum. The way it basically works is that only the frequencies the IR and the signal have in common remain, the rest are lost. The ones that remain are 'multiplied', so the spectrum of the IR is 'superimposed' on the signal.

(The inverse of an IR would be [1-IRn] for each sample n of the IR, he says off the top of his head without thinking about it properly)

Not sure of which convolvers can switch IRs on the fly, its a heavy process so there's a latency involved. I guess one option is could stack up multiple convolvers in a host like Bidule, though, and change which one you're routing to on the fly.
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

Isn’t this simply a case of AM and automating the volume of osc 2?

EDIT: :dog: You're referring to EQ not synthesis.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Maybe Thorn by Dmitry Sches?
It has Harmonic Filter.

Well, unless you're dead-set on using FIR for EQing, consider the more CPU-friendly IIR method with something like Trackspacer from Wavesfactory.

Thanks fir ( :o ) the input. I'll look into the suggestions and see if they lead anywhere useful. I tried out the thorn synth for a one synth challenge and was impressed.
/S

A modular built vocoder should do it, you have to invert the spectrum which is applied to the carrier... Maybe in the reaktor library is something like that...

[quote="Tj Shredder"]A modular built vocoder should do it, you have to invert the spectrum which is applied to the carrier... Maybe in the reaktor library is something like that...[/quote]
So you would invert the modulator signal before feeding it to the vocoder? And the vocoder would need quite a few bands.

I believe the convolution mode in MPowersynth’s OSC will do this.

Do you mean something like WavesFactory Track Spacer? It functions like a multi-band EQ that removes the frequencies of a sidechain track from the track it's applied to.

snoddas wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:A modular built vocoder should do it, you have to invert the spectrum which is applied to the carrier... Maybe in the reaktor library is something like that...
So you would invert the modulator signal before feeding it to the vocoder? And the vocoder would need quite a few bands.
It has to be flipped around some arbitrary level, the places where a frequency would be boosted, you lower it and vice versa. This is something to experiment with. Basically you are asking for a filter controlled by a signal...
I think in Bitwig you could patch something like that together...

harmor
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Return to “Instruments”