Tune kick to bass?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is very genre based too. It only really works well for "modal" music. As in music that is heavily written around one scale, with the "root" note, or bass, not changing much.

In this instance, a tuned kick can work out well.

As soon as you start changing the bass around too much, or making a modulation to another key, this is where it will fall apart. In which instance, its better to stick to "atonal" percussion.

simon.a.billington wrote:This is very genre based too. It only really works well for "modal" music. As in music that is heavily written around one scale, with the "root" note, or bass, not changing much.

In this instance, a tuned kick can work out well.

As soon as you start changing the bass around too much, or making a modulation to another key, this is where it will fall apart. In which instance, its better to stick to "atonal" percussion.
You can use several kicks with different tunings, or even have the kick as the bassline eg 808 kick.

You could, but when the kick changes like that it’s noticable and doesn’t ground your mix as well.

In this instances, the atonal approach still works best, in my opinion. Music survived decades without kicks being tuned, it survives in many genres without being tuned, I’m sure it can survive another song or two.

Since i start to make my own kicks with Synthmaster and Sylenth1 even don't think about that and use just pair of ears,
but before that it was serious issue for entire mix - tuning,wondering what is 'right' so on -
so i am gonna simplify it for everybody in the same situation - it's what i discover to work for me ,not scientifically proven :):):)
It's harmony that define the tonality not just bass or first chord note -
Example : Harmony Am-C-Dm-Am could use as key A(55hz) but also D2(73hz) or E1(41hz) its because the harmony of first two chords suggest it or Am-F-C-G will use A55HZ but not E41HZ ,
Am-Dm-G-C will be ok with D73hz and A55HZ
not 100% rule but works fine in my mix
- it could be some unidentified key with complex structure too,but only if harmonically is compatible ...
use your ears,that's my advice :):):)

Return to “Production Techniques”