Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4809 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm

I seem to be moving in a poppier direction with this song which includes backing vocals by the talented Aika Zabala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6EkRpZDwAU

https://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/falling

Synths: Repro-5, Monark, M-Tron Pro, Icarus, BFD3

The lyrics are on Soundcloud. Any feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Frantz on Sun May 20, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
5528 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm

the good: i said, i said, that was funky! it gets more catchy the more you play it.
the bad: that pop snare just didn't fit well, imo.. it was too loud and had too much of a low-midrange tone that really took over the mix when it was popping away. there was a part towards the end 3:03-3:52 where it was not present. I would have enjoyed the song with that snare tone from that section played throughout.

i dunno, prob just me. if no one else says anything about it, i'll stfu. lol
Last edited by layzer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

sjm
KVRAF
1698 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I really like the pre-chorus, it's very catchy. The chorus too, but it's the pre-chorus for me that does it. The verses are pretty tethered and then all of a suddenly we're going on a little journey.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

User avatar
ChamMusic
KVRian
887 posts since 12 Jun, 2006 from Birmingham, UK

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Love some of those synth sounds...great combos as usual...nicely judged.

What's the lead at 34 seconds? fascinating sound!

Strong vocal performance...very appropriate for the genre.

Backing vocals add a new dimension...they work in lifting it all that little bit further.

Love the contrasting section from 3min 05 secs.

Production is quite big and spacious, but suitably punchy as well.

Great retro track!

The snare that Layzer mentioned: I don't have a problem with the actual sound at all, but thought that it might be very slightly too high in the mix...did start to penetrate my head a little after a second listen.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music

fastlanephil
KVRian
586 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:16 pm

An all around great tune. Interesting lyrics that were easily understandable and a it had a good hook. From what songs with vocals I’ve heard on this site those sorts of things can be a weakness.

That singer does breath life into the song.

I would concure that the snare was a little high in the mix but maybe not for dance, just listening?

User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4670 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm

It's annoying how crippled SoundCloud is on mobile browsers. Not your fault. Just complaining because I wanted to see the lyrics without going to my desktop ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4809 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:08 pm

layzer wrote:the good: i said, i said, that was funky! it gets more catchy the more you play it.
the bad: that pop snare just didn't fit well, imo.. it was too loud and had too much of a low-midrange tone that really took over the mix when it was popping away. there was a part towards the end 3:03-3:52 where it was not present. I would have enjoyed the song with that snare tone from that section played throughout.
Glad you liked it. I appreciate feedback like this on the mix. I will take a look at the snare and probably make an adjustment. Thanks!

aaron aardvark
KVRian
1469 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Frantz,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: instrumentally, this kind of reminds me of Kraftwerk, which is good. Nice audio quality. This song has some of your better vocals (pitch accuracy is better than usual); I always liked the tone of your vocals. The background vocals definitely add something. The vocals during the chorus are probably the most full (multi-layered) I've heard from you. Nice synths and melodies. Overall, it sounds quite good! :) Did you use Icarus, or something else (copy & paste?) to trigger your quick repetition vocal sample? I got Icarus a few months ago myself.

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4809 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 pm

sjm wrote:I really like the pre-chorus, it's very catchy. The chorus too, but it's the pre-chorus for me that does it. The verses are pretty tethered and then all of a suddenly we're going on a little journey.
I like that observation about the pre-chorus. It's the point of lift off where things become un-tethered. Thanks for the feedback. :)

sjm
KVRAF
1698 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am

Frantz wrote:
sjm wrote:I really like the pre-chorus, it's very catchy. The chorus too, but it's the pre-chorus for me that does it. The verses are pretty tethered and then all of a suddenly we're going on a little journey.
I like that observation about the pre-chorus. It's the point of lift off where things become un-tethered.
Above all, it's very clever! You've taken the theme/title of the song, and puts it into a musical form. A baseline from which we then jump into weightlessness.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4809 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:20 pm

layzer wrote:the good: i said, i said, that was funky! it gets more catchy the more you play it.
the bad: that pop snare just didn't fit well, imo.. it was too loud and had too much of a low-midrange tone that really took over the mix when it was popping away. there was a part towards the end 3:03-3:52 where it was not present. I would have enjoyed the song with that snare tone from that section played throughout.
I did a new mix with the snare lowered a bit. The new mix is in both the MP3 and Soundcloud.

Hopefully, that sounds a bit better. Thanks again for your feedback. :)

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4809 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:51 pm

ChamMusic wrote:Love some of those synth sounds...great combos as usual...nicely judged.

What's the lead at 34 seconds? fascinating sound!

Strong vocal performance...very appropriate for the genre.

Backing vocals add a new dimension...they work in lifting it all that little bit further.

Love the contrasting section from 3min 05 secs.

Production is quite big and spacious, but suitably punchy as well.

Great retro track!

The snare that Layzer mentioned: I don't have a problem with the actual sound at all, but thought that it might be very slightly too high in the mix...did start to penetrate my head a little after a second listen.
Thank you Mark. I appreciate the detailed and encouraging feedback. The lead at 0:34 is u-he's Repro 5 - an amazing Prophet 5 emulation.

I posted a new mix with a lower snare today.

User avatar
ChamMusic
KVRian
887 posts since 12 Jun, 2006 from Birmingham, UK

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Frantz wrote: I posted a new mix with a lower snare today
Works for me!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
5528 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:49 pm

Frantz wrote: I posted a new mix with a lower snare today
better! doesn't distract as much from the vox as before :phones: :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
4809 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Jace-BeOS wrote:It's annoying how crippled SoundCloud is on mobile browsers. Not your fault. Just complaining because I wanted to see the lyrics without going to my desktop ;-)
You're in luck. Now there's a lyrics video you can watch on your phone. ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”