New TC 2290 plugin and hardware controller...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robotmonkey wrote:This is next level retarded if the controller is meant as a copy protection measure.
Right !?! LOL!
I just see no value in such a combo, especially if the controller does not have a processing engine inside. This controller does not even see useful for anything else even if it worked as a generic midi controller.
Well, I can see the value of a dedicated controller, but this just seems to be a particularly lame controller that is leveraging the appeal of the U/I that was on the vintage interface. It would be like Yamaha releasing a TX81Z plugin with that godawful interface that had like six buttons on it.
There's just so many fantastic delays around that it's so easy to pass TC 2290 then.
Yes, and they're cheap, and I don't really care about having a dedicated hardware U/I for a delay.

Dullee wrote:
I'm pretty sure Uli knows exactly what he is doing.
If Behringer knew what they are doing, they would stop doing it.
Yes, because business is going so bad for them...

:roll: :dog:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

because business is going so bad for them
China has the biggest business in the world, what they produce is still garbage :hihi:

And since TC Electronic was bought out by Behringer, it's going down that trash route.

Once TC Electronic was boutique. Now it's Behringer.

It's a shame that once great companies are getting devoured by cheap crap manufacturers, because people like cheap crap more than ever.

Sadly, TC Electronic is not the first and the last company on that list.

Dullee wrote:
China has the biggest business in the world, what they produce is still garbage :hihi:

And since TC Electronic was bought out by Behringer, it's going down that trash route.

It's a shame that once great companies are getting devoured by cheap crap manufacturers, because people like cheap crap more than ever.

These exact type of complaints were also true when Fender was bought out by CBS and until they were sold again in the following decade or so. Nothing new. Not unique to modern times or one country. Just business as usual. I'm not even that old but I'm old enough to remember when the whole pro audio business was prohibitively expensive. Now there is great gear being made at just about every price point. If you don't like inexpensive Chinese gear, then there are plenty of boutique manufacturers to buy from. At least today you have a cornucopia of options.

Now there is great gear being made at just about every price point.
Is there, really? A really great gear at every price point?

The way I see it, a real high quality product still sells for a high price. If you really want THAT high quality, you have to pay.

And garbage and so-so, so-called "tolerable" quality is low to mid price range. Except now garbage products are often disguised as quality products with promises of heaven and what not.

No one will ever cancel the rule: "You get what you pay for". It's not charity, never was, never will be. And what you pay for, among the rest, is quality control. With low price, that quality control is either non-existent or could benefit from a bit of a quality itself :)

Dullee wrote:
Now there is great gear being made at just about every price point.
Is there, really? A really great gear at every price point?)
Is there anything you're looking for a bargain on and can't find? I'm sure between Gearslutz, YouTube videos, and Google, we can find you something. For example, I just got a Stam SA-2A for $800. That's a fantastic value and a great compressor. If I wanted to spend more, I could go for a UA, or vintage Teltronix. If I wanted an LA-2A there's lots of plugin options for much less money.

I was looking for a low wattage JCM type tone, and some research found the Laney AOR 30 combo amp, which is a modified JCM circuit and was only $300. Great, great amp. Should be selling for much more.

Neve preamp? I have a Stam SA-73 on order that should be shipping this week. Was like $500. Same as my Grace 101 way back in the day (different sound), which I continue to get a ton of mileage out of. The Warm Audio and Heritage Audio 1073's are about 1k each, which for a Neve preamp would've been unthinkable 20 years ago. The Warm Audio Tonebeast I have also sounds great and didn't break the bank. I have a buddy who got the FMR RNP years ago at like $250 per channel, and that thing sounds great.

Keyboards? I found a Wurlitzer 200 on Craigslist for $700. Great gear. Great price point. Looking for some microphones that punch above their price point? There's lots of companies doing that too. I love my 3U Audio GZ67.

Low cost? You can get everything from DI's, to used digital reverbs, to great hardware compressors (FMR RNC, or 3630 if you're a techno guy, or an Art VLA II) for less than some plugins.

Need free stuff? Lots of great plugins out there. Stuff that gets used in great sounding pro mixes.

Not everything needs to be U47's through BAE preamps into racks full of 1176's. Most studios don't have the wall to wall racks of gear that a guy like CLA has. Most pro studios don't own U47's. If you want to make great sounding records, yeah, you can totally do that on budget with gear choices at every price point. It may take some research and/or patience, but it's totally possible. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's never been a time with more active pro-audio companies, and you've got sites like Reverb, e-Bay and Craigslist to find deals on used gear with.

Dullee wrote:

You not linking what they do has NOTHING to do with whether they are successful in what they are doing or not.

Your said if they knew what they were doing they would not do it, which is of course

100% nonsense

You do the same as a lot of people do who are basically unable to have any kind of serious argument.

You switch the topic from one moment (one post to be exact) to the next.

MY "Uli knows what he is doing" was about successful business in reply to a post that was about successful (or not) business. Your run-off-the-mill anti-Behringer tantrum above is not at all, i.e. iit is 100% off topic. So first you post nonsense, then I reply accordingly, tnext you switch the subject in order to dump a dumb rant on us.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I don't get the advantage of using a controller like that to control a plugin (and I don't have room on my desk)...

I understand it would be harder to sell the controller without some artificial limitations (like those quoted in the thread about full editing and copy protection - I didn't check if they are true indeed), but it's quite hard to deal with them. Especially the copy protection: say the controller unfortunately breaks, then how can you expect to replace it? Can we expect the same level of support/avaibility as iLok?
If the controller is really needed for the full user experience, I think an approach like Maschine (sell the software only with the controller, but keep authorization strictly pc-related) would be more sensible.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

For the uninitiated can someone please explain why the original incarnation of the 2209 was so coveted??

Return to “Effects”