Upcoming synths 2018?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Possibly Ichiro Toda will release Synth1 1.13 BETA4 for windows :)

+maybe Gforce will update their remaining synth with selectable GUI sizes (nowadays they were collecting feedback about this gui option)

We will possibly see more companies abandoning the sector than new releases. Guess the golden age of software has been over for a while already, and most people opt for hardware now that it is readily available again.

I just think it's been saturated. All the older classic synths have been emulated by numerous companies, and there have been so many cutting edge ones too.

After awhile they all start to sound the same. I guess what I mean is that it's hard to find a sound in 1 synth that can't be replicated in another. Once you build up a large collection it stifles creativity. Does the world really need another synth? I guess we all get bored and look for the next brand new shiny toy.

Madrona Labs SUMU

dune_rave wrote:Possibly Ichiro Toda will release Synth1 1.13 BETA4 for windows :)
Any source ? :)

punkfest2000 wrote:I just think it's been saturated. All the older classic synths have been emulated by numerous companies, and there have been so many cutting edge ones too.

After awhile they all start to sound the same. I guess what I mean is that it's hard to find a sound in 1 synth that can't be replicated in another. Once you build up a large collection it stifles creativity. Does the world really need another synth? I guess we all get bored and look for the next brand new shiny toy.
Well, all the classic analogue synths have been emulated, but the 00's digital synth territory (Virus, Nordlead, Roland, Waldorf and others) is still covered to much lesser extent. There is Viper doing 1/2 or Virus TI, Discovery trying to sound like Nord (people say it doesn't in fact), JP80x0 osc in Diva with filters souding nothing like the JP. Compared to numerous takes on 70's/80's analogues it's nothing.

But I agree about the market saturation thing. I'm afraid we are at the point where the efforts put into making better versions of what we already have just won't pay off. E.g. I have 2 synths doing the Moog sounds so I can't justify buying a third one even despite it might be doing the Moog sounds, say, 15% better. Probably the new versions (paid upgrades) of existing synths like Dune3, Zebra 3 (should this ever happen) is the area where we actually may expect some improvements/innovations - simply because people are more likely to pay for upgrades of the synths they already have and use than to buy new ones.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

dune_rave wrote:Possibly Ichiro Toda will release Synth1 1.13 BETA4 for windows :)

+maybe Gforce will update their remaining synth with selectable GUI sizes (nowadays they were collecting feedback about this gui option)
Maan i'd like to see synth1 1.2 - it will be like candy for a kid :)

recursive one wrote:
punkfest2000 wrote:I just think it's been saturated. All the older classic synths have been emulated by numerous companies, and there have been so many cutting edge ones too.

Well, all the classic analogue synths have been emulated, but the 00's digital synth territory (Virus, Nordlead, Roland, Waldorf and others) is still covered to much lesser extent. There is Viper doing 1/2 or Virus TI, Discovery trying to sound like Nord (people say it doesn't in fact), JP80x0 osc in Diva with filters souding nothing like the JP. Compared to numerous takes on 70's/80's analogues it's nothing.

But I agree about the market saturation thing. I'm afraid we are at the point where the efforts put into making better versions of what we already have just won't pay off. E.g. I have 2 synths doing the Moog sounds so I can't justify buying a third one even despite it might be doing the Moog sounds, say, 15% better. Probably the new versions (paid upgrades) of existing synths like Dune3, Zebra 3 (should this ever happen) is the area where we actually may expect some improvements/innovations - simply because people are more likely to pay for upgrades of the synths they already have and use than to buy new ones.
There is so many thinks to be add to existing synths or new stuff to be invented so there is room for more definitely - 150 years ago people thought that everything is already invented and the train can't go faster than 27 miles per hour or something ...well they weren't right i guess :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:
recursive one wrote:

There is so many thinks to be add to existing synths or new stuff to be invented so there is room for more definitely - 150 years ago people thought that everything is already invented and the train can't go faster than 27 miles per hour or something ...well they weren't right i guess :)
In fact I agree that there is (and perhaps always will be) a room for innovation as well as for sound quality/modelling accuracy/usability improvements. The question is how profitable such developments may be with so many synths being already available.

Ofc we can't discount people doing this just because they have a passion for it.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Nah not really , toy story 1 was great , now 20 years later cgi is still improving .
Same can be said for vst 's.
Analogue modelling in the dsp domain , compare the legend to something like g media minnimosta ...the introduction of zdf filter , near realtime spice/cirquit emulation ...a huge step forward .
I can totally relate that you don't need a gazillion vst' that do the same thing , therefore it's better to invest in something like reaktor + an all rounder like zebra /dune 2 and maybe 2 more that do authentic analog emulation verry well .
All the othe synthesis techniques ( including V.A.) can easily be done with reaktor .
My 2 cents
My 2 cents
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

.jon wrote:We will possibly see more companies abandoning the sector than new releases. Guess the golden age of software has been over for a while already, and most people opt for hardware now that it is readily available again.
Hm.. dunno about that. I'd rather think more and more opt for software, because of the obvious advantageous you have. People have more money to burn these days, yet many choose software.

dp

Although many were already modeled, there are certainly some that still were never modeled, and some that just have one emulation and could certainly improve.

Of the ones that were never modulated, I can mention the Korg PS series (although Full Bucket did some excellent recreations, he did not have the originals, so, we cannot be sure they are 100% accurate or near, even if they sound excellent), Korg Trident, Fender Rhodes (ARP) Chroma and Polaris, Alesis Andromeda A6, Novation Supernova, Virus (had an emulation once, but there isn't one right now), Waldorf Microwave/Wave, Buchla modulars (there is only the Buchla Easel from Arturia and one module for the Softube Modular), Eminent 310, ARP 2500...

These right out of my head. And, as I said, there are several others that only have one modulation, and certainly could improve.
Fernando (FMR)

Things will heat up on the synth front with Superbooth 2018 - we'll have something new there that's synth-related too

Return to “Instruments”