Klevgrand’s DAW Cassette

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cool plug idea but that saturation aint a cassette. Sounds like a junk speaker to me. You guys hearin that? I cant be the only one...

Russell Grand wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I am actually really excited about this.

https://klevgrand.se/products/dawcassette/
Looks wicked, I'm looking forward to trying this! :love:
Me too! ;)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

interesting idea, but whats stopping one from sampling the noisefloor of a cassette deck, looping it seamlessly and putting it on a track? no plugin needed ffs. it can be used as a novelty effect like an old scratched record at the beginning of a song, but thats about it.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:interesting idea, but whats stopping one from sampling the noisefloor of a cassette deck, looping it seamlessly and putting it on a track? no plugin needed ffs. it can be used as a novelty effect like an old scratched record at the beginning of a song, but thats about it.
I think you have a point. It's kinda like when I was a kid, and it was 'de rigueur' to bend our Grifter mud-guards backwards so that they would vibrate as the wheels turned. It sounded like a motorbike...like, really!

To this day, I'll never understand why people would want to spend all that money on motorbikes, when it's much cheaper to do the old mud-guard trick on a cheap bike :shrug:

It's the same thing...like...really :tu:

Bought!

:love: :party: :hyper: :tu: :borg: :phones:

Hell, it's $20 and sounds great. I mean great in a "fatten and thicken and crunch it up a bit" sort of way. I'm old enough that all my music I bought back in the day was vinyl and compact cassette because that was all there was, and I don't think they intrinsically sound any better than CD or digital downloads. Actually, they don't - I certainly got fed up of the pops and crackles of vinyl, and the wow & flutter and degradation of tape. But... they had a quality that CDs lacked. When CDs came out, the holy grail was the DDD symbol - Digital recording, Digital mixing and Digital mastering, and they sounded kind of flat and sterile. Sure they were perfect, but perfect didn't mean a better experience. And I realised that it was the imperfections that made recordings of the day sound exciting and organic. Nobody set out to give vinyl its limitations, or compact cassette to sound like 8 bit recordings, it was just what it was. But as technically good as CDs were, they lacked... something.

So now, we use saturation, tape, vinyl and distortion plugins to give digital music that edge, that rawness that it implicitly lacks. And this plugin does it in spades - it makes things fatter, crunchier, beefier and more exciting (a little goes a long way of course, and you can use the mix dial to back it off even more). I love it. It's so over-the-top but it's just so much fun.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Sorry Klevgranders, as much as I appreciate what I have from you,
after Cassette demo I was very disapointed.

A loveless compilation of some noise, filter and lfo doesn`t make a cassette.
Grab a reaktor player and slap in VHS (free btw) and you`ll see what I mean.

Seems the vst world have to wait ...
i.e. I am missing emulation giving various speeds like originals.

Back to the atelier Klevgranders and give it another shot please,
the idea is very welcomed ...
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Omkar wrote:Grab a reaktor player and slap in VHS (free btw) and you`ll see what I mean.
Sssh! Don't tell everybody :wink:

Omkar wrote:Sorry Klevgranders, as much as I appreciate what I have from you,
after Cassette demo I was very disapointed.

A loveless compilation of some noise, filter and lfo doesn`t make a cassette.
Grab a reaktor player and slap in VHS (free btw) and you`ll see what I mean.

Seems the vst world have to wait ...
i.e. I am missing emulation giving various speeds like originals.

Back to the atelier Klevgranders and give it another shot please,
the idea is very welcomed ...
Does it work as an FX insert? I know Reaktor has an FX plug and I have used some Reaktor stuff this way, though in Cubase it's a royal PITA because of how it has to be routed.

I like it, the flange effect is super subtle as compared to anything else in its
price range, which don't even really offer that. IMHO the metallic tape has a
really nice sheen to it as well.

It pales in comparison to Ghz Wow Control, e.g. my favorite cassette sym,
but it is only $19 :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sssh! Don't tell everybody :wink:
Ooops :D
wagtunes wrote: Does it work as an FX insert? I know Reaktor has an FX plug and I have used some Reaktor stuff this way, though in Cubase it's a royal PITA because of how it has to be routed.
Yes, should appear in the vst section of your plugin folder (reaktor fx), just use it as a regular vst.
Surprisingly low cpu usage.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Omkar wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sssh! Don't tell everybody :wink:
Ooops :D
wagtunes wrote: Does it work as an FX insert? I know Reaktor has an FX plug and I have used some Reaktor stuff this way, though in Cubase it's a royal PITA because of how it has to be routed.
Yes, should appear in the vst section of your plugin folder (reaktor fx), just use it as a regular vst.
Surprisingly low cpu usage.
I'm assuming it's found in the user library online.

wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Why would anyone want their music to sound like it's on crappy Cassette tape ? Years ago I used a Teac 4 Track recorder and couldn't wait until digital recording became affordable for the masses. I can't see any reason whatsoever to go back. There is no magic. :shrug:
For some of us, it is magic.
I love cassette tape! I started out with cassette and put a lot of effort into getting decks that I could calibrate and that high quality resproduction - they are out there. Then I moved to 1/4" 4 track tape.

I really like Cupwise's cassette tape emulation library for Nebula 4. I use it a lot to colour tracks and sometimes complete mixes.

I gave it a try... it's kind of okay, but not a must-buy for me. I preferred the sound of Sonitex STX-1260, which was much more controllable and dynamic. Unfortunately a SynthEdit plugin stuck in 32 bit.

...and yeah, I went through the conversion to a 64 bit host only recently and set up jBridge for a few plugins; but I find I get more crackles and unpleasant DAW behavior when I run those. And STX-1260's GUI was always really slow for some reason too.

next will be a plugin that emulates the sound of field recording with an old boombox, complete with select-able number of people talking, pets, cars passing and birds tweeting in the background.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Effects”