April Contest: Submissions "Spring" / Free style

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRAF
2096 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from Nearish Detroit, MI

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:37 am

Spring

Granted, it's not Spring everywhere right now, but imagine that it were. And imagine if you could write a song about Spring in any genre. And what if you could submit that one song not only to the contest here, but also to a second, different, themed song contest?

The challenge this month is to write a song about Spring, in any musical style you wish (even in 3/4 time!). As an added bonus, this is also the theme of this month's Mix Challenge contest: http://mix-challenge.com/, so if you read the fine print there and that seems like something you'd want to participate in (note their earlier submission deadline), you can share your track there as well. 2x the contests, 2x the fun!

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - No time limit on your track this month!

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Friday, April 27, 2018.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1804_ReduxContest_SpringAgain.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, May 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to drapostrophex (that's me, Victor!) or ask in the gossip thread.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

KVRAF
20575 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:29 am

My Submission

Here are the specs

Windows 7 64 bit OS
DAW - Cubase 7.0.7

Instruments

Abbey Road 70s Drummer
MODO Bass
Real LPC Guitar
Vir2 Electri6ity 335 Guitar
VB3 Organ
Vir2 Electri6ity Lipstick Guitar
Legend VST
Real Eight Guitar
Pianoteq 5
EW Symphonic Orchestra Percussion
EW Hollywood Strings Diamond
EW Hollywood Brass Diamond
Chris Hein Solo Violin
Chris Hein Solo Cello
Vocaloid Dex Vocals

FX

Schepes Omni Channel Strip
FabFilter Pro Q2
FabFilter Pro C Compressor
FabFilter Pro L Limiter
FabFilter Pro MB Compressor
Guitar Rig 5
Revalver 4
Amplitube 4
Valhalla Plate
Valhalla Vintage Reverb
QL Spaces
MturboReverb
Kilohearts Multipass
Izotope Neutron
Abbey Road Vinyl

Composer: Steven Wagenheim
All virtual instruments programmed and played by myself

This is my first submission so if I've forgotten any required info, please don't disqualify my. Just tell me what's missing and I'll include it.

Lyrics

The Fall Of Spring

There's a chill in the air
And it means spring is here
Take a breath if you dare
Fall of spring soon is near
There's no stopping it now
There's no way there's no how
Spring is coming to end I vow

Link

http://wagsrfm.com/music/TheFallOfSpring.mp3

70s prog rock style

Boss Lovin' DR
9209 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:02 am

Spring, bah humbug. It rains loads, diseases spread, and twats like to walk around in shorts even though it's still only about 4 degrees.

On that note, and to be contradictory.....some semi folkie (3/4, or 6/8 perhaps, who knows? Not me..) indie miserable shite. May have ripped The Smiths off slightly :o ;

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/04- ... st-day.mp3

The stuff;

Epiphone acoustic guitar (probably should have changed that top string..)
Gear4music 12 string acoustic guitar (new :love: - must.. try.. to... stop... using it on everything)
Line 6 Variax electric guitar (probably should change all the strings.)
Amplesound AG12S
NI Electric Sunburst
Some random FL hi-hat and cymbal
Kick from NI Abbey Road Vintage kit
Guitar slap noise from Amplesound AGT
Some crooning miserbalism - special mention for 'OldComms', by Evil Turtle Productons for the middle bit - bloody marvellous effect.

Edit - Well, unusually I had no title for the song, so quickly thought, "hmm, First Day..that'll do". Of course one forgot about;
061212. 1st Day Ticket.JPG
I think I'll do, 'Off Peak Monthly Saver', next. :help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
5031 posts since 5 Aug, 2006 from UK - The Mudway Towns

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:25 pm

This is an ancient 'recovery' project. I lost the recording I made in 1992, and also had no hope of reclaiming the original hardware. However I did still have the MIDI file. So it was a case of dragging this into Rosegarden (which complained bitterly as the original sequencer put some non-standard stuff in there), then trying to sort out instrument patches.

As usual the whole thing is Yoshimi - yes even the percussion - and I've also changed some bits, and made a few additions. I think this works as a 'Spring' entry on several levels :lol:

So, here is A day in the Country
Arriving;
Morning;
Afternoon;
Going Home.

Voice patches in order of appearance:
DX Rhodes 4
Accordian
Steel Bass
Natural Drum Kit
Prophesy
Wet Brass
Rushes
Ethereal
Full Choir
Silver Bell
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)

KVRAF
2684 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/43029 ... ACspQlXg2P
The Return of Spring
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/mr-n ... -to-spring
LIVE 10 environment
Alchemy 1.55
DimensionPro
Sampler
DrumRack
Parker GTR
Gurian GTR
Vocal
EFX : mucho LIVE native efx - Little uShift - EchoBode - EchoBoy - TAL ChorusLX - Ozone 5
expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

KVRAF
6992 posts since 4 Apr, 2005 from here and there

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Blossom Dance

HW:
Swamp-strat guitar, Std-D DIY 'Fire' strat, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, H&K Tubemeister 5, Alesis Nanoverb, Rocktron Chameleon, George Dennis Wah, Soul/Food, Custom Jaath-bass, Zoom MS-60B, Rocktron Gainiac II, IMG Sta500 Power amp -> Custom 4x10 cabinet
SW :
NI Bandstand, NI Battery, NI B4, Lounge Lizard EP, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field

Banned
317 posts since 23 Oct, 2017

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Here is my first entry. Please correct me it I have made any errors

MP3 Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cXgQKx ... sp=sharing

Hopefully that has the Meta Data on it now. Used an online app... www.imgaid.com

File titled 2018April_Tbase2000_SpringFling

Fender Squire with Cubase Amp mod
SDGR Bass with Ampeg SVT Classic Head and cab mic/DI mixed with Cubase Amp mod
Vocal MXL 990 mic with minimal processessing.
Drums: Midi
Samples YouTube backup Female vocal. YouTube Sample beach track.

Cubase 9 Pro.

KVRist
402 posts since 6 May, 2005 from Somewhere In Scotland

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:41 am

Spring Spring Spring

DAW
Tracktion 7

Instruments
Peavey electric guitar
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums 2
TAL Noisemaker, Vocoder & Reverb 2
Tracktion 4-Band EQ, Reverb, Chorus, Delay & Pitch Shifter
TDR Nova & Feedback Compressor
PhreePhuzz
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

KVRAF
14516 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:45 am

I am terribly sorry if this is considered "not good form" in this thread - but I wanted to give you a friendly reminder, that:
  • the Deadline on Mix Challenge is the 24th April 2018 (as of this moment, 8 hours left to submit your production)
  • the Deadline on KVR Audio is early 27th April 2018 (3 days left to submit your production)

You can also submit your entry to both KVR Audio and mix-challenge.com - in fact all participants got a PM with that as reminder.

So don't be shy, hop over to the other place as well, and maybe even have a chance to score a free license. The overall rule set is the same and(!) you will get feedback to your production on top of your entry (mandatory during the voting process)
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

KVRian
556 posts since 28 Dec, 2004

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am

Now that Spring has sprung...

https://soundcloud.com/jonny-632235726/spring

made in Cubase
with Project Sam Symphobia
and
a child's xylophone

thanks for listening

KVRAF
1531 posts since 22 Oct, 2004 from Schmocation

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user-2508491/silent-spring

SILENT SPRING

DAW: Tracktion Waveform 9
OUTBOARD: BeyerDynamic 201 TG mic; Audient ID22 Audio Interface; Arturia Beatport Pro drum pads, Cakewalk/Roland A-300 keyboard
PHYSICAL INSTRUMENTS: Epiphone Sheraton II electric guitar; Epiphone Hummingbird Pro acoustic guitar; El Cheapo bass guitar
VSTi: EZDrummer 2 drums; Arturia Analog Lab Vox organ; Toontrack EZKeys Mellotoon vibraphone; Tracktion Collective Sampler percussion.
VST effects: EZMix2 vocal, bass and guitar patches; 2CAudio Breeze reverb; Trackion Daw Essentials compressor.

I'm satisfied with the the tracks' warm vintage vibe. I'm also relatively satisfied with the lyrics; they have many obvious weak points, but I managed to write something more or less meaningful about something I care about, with a certain poetic intent.
I had the intention of loosening up the structure of the track, but time and patience ran out, so it remains rigid and predictable.
As usual the vocals are rather wobbly, subdued and weak. I struggled to settle on a vocal melody, and I usually record at night when everyone else is sleeping, so I almost have to whisper.

[Edited to include SoundCloud link]

KVRist
63 posts since 14 May, 2006

Post Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:31 pm

https://soundcloud.com/yasha/our-may-queen

This is my first submission to the kvraudio monthly contests, and it seems to be about submission to the regal authority of the May Queen on May Day, accompanied by bursts of manic, grey-midi piano notes.

Vocals, prior to processing, are from the chapter 16 of the Librivox audiobook A Little Maid of Province Town by Alice Turner Curtis, as read by Arielle Lipshaw: https://librivox.org/a-little-maid-of-p ... er-curtis/ (Librivox recordings are in the public domain.)

"Our May-queen,
Queen of the May,
We’re ready to serve you
All this bright day."

This clip was processed in Numerology4 Pro using Melda MVocoder, Brainworx bx_stereomaker, and u-he Triple Cheese.

"Birds in the tree,
Humming of bees,
Wind singing over the sea.
Happy May-days,
Now do we praise,
As we dance gladly round the May tree."

These clips were processed in TwistedWave using Audiowish Octave Shifter 2.

Ableton Live 9 was used for sequencing. Drumming was done with midi files from OddGrooves Basic Drumming & OddGrooves Advanced Drumming (purchased), but mostly from the free sample pack OddGrooves Seven Eight Free Grooves. For a drum kit, I used the Ableton Drum Rack Core Heritage. Except for the intro, this piece is in 7/8 time.

The piano part started as a video of me noisily noodling on my Tocante Bistab (a portable touch-sensitive synth). The audio was extracted using QuickTime Pro 7 and converted to midi using Widi Audio-to-Midi VST, then quantized to the nearest 16th note by recording to a midi track in Ableton Live. The resulting midi file was processed using a couple instances of Numerology4 Pro VST to adjust the velocity using the original audio file and Numerology's envelope follower. This was fed into the sampler Plogue Sforzando using piano samples from Sampletekk's sfz version of Steiny D Close.

Return to “Music Cafe”