Mastering Stereo Imaging plugins

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Rik
KVRist
140 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Ottawa, Canada

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for stereo imaging plugins? I am searching for something that can do more than just multiband stereo enhancer in my mastering chain. I've been playing lately with the old AcousticX which has a "Virtual Surround" feature that is close to what I want and does significantly widen the mix and gets that AVB kind of sound. However, it only consists of one knob and I'd like to have more controls over frequencies and processing. (and yes I already own Ozone 7...). Any suggestions?

Erik.

Apratim
KVRian
555 posts since 29 Dec, 2016 from India

Re: Mastering Stereo Imaging plugins

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

M stereo processor from melda
a10 9600p,12gb ddr4,1TB SSD,Win 10 x64
Behringer UMC 202 HD,Behringer C-1.
REAPER,DS thorn, IL sytrus,Mpowersynth,Tal sampler,AAS string studio,MTotalfx bundle

dubguy99
KVRist
78 posts since 28 Jun, 2017

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Nugen Audio Stereoizer is what the professionals use.

imrae
KVRist
405 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 pm

It's not sold as a mastering tool, but I use Waves Doubler for this. If you set all the pitch stuff to zero, it's a one-stop-shop to a) swap L/R channels b) apply different delays to them c) invert polarity of one d) apply shelf eq to cut bass and maybe do something with highs e) gently mix it into the dry signal.

MogwaiBoy
KVRAF
2739 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Gonna go out on a limb here and say Fieldler Audio Stage. Psychoacoustically creates some great depth without reverb. There are some 'mastering' presets that are good starters for whole mix processing - ofcourse you have to be very gentle.

Usually with multiband stereo enhancers like the one in Ozone I initially think "wow, sounds great" - you know.. centre the low end a little, widen the top - what can go wrong? But I always seem to come back later and A/B it on/off, wondering what the hell was I thinking. I think the crossovers and/or some phase artifacts are audible in Ozone too.

Caine123
KVRAF
5251 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 pm

I learned NOT to stereo widen on master. Overall do the panning and using reverb instead of widening the mix. Otherwise it sounds too faked.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

imrae
KVRist
405 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Agreed in general. Nearly everything that happens in mastering can be done better in mixing... I only do it to match a narrower track to wider tracks in the same collection. Doing it with delay/reverb trickery is sometimes more natural than mid/side processing, sometimes less so.

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6148 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 am

Blue Cat MB7 can be good at this.

poshook
KVRian
675 posts since 31 Aug, 2004

Post Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 am

Best stereo widener plugin I have ever used is this one. IT works totally different than any other plugins. It introduces latency and higher CPU load but hey it preserves mono and front back depth beautifully.

http://www.quikquak.com/prod_UpStereoPro.html

pekbro
KVRAF
1981 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 am

I like this for stereo imaging:

mutantdog
KVRAF
1679 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from The Infinite Void

Post Thu May 17, 2018 3:09 am

Tokyo Dawn SlickEQ GE can be used as a side EQ, stick one of its saturation algorithms on and it can really complement a well balanced mixdown.

Harry_HH
KVRAF
2915 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 am

imrae wrote:Agreed in general. Nearly everything that happens in mastering can be done better in mixing... I only do it to match a narrower track to wider tracks in the same collection. Doing it with delay/reverb trickery is sometimes more natural than mid/side processing, sometimes less so.
Yes, and in mixing I use the iZotope Ozone 8 adv. stereo widening tool, with the Waves S1. The first one is published as a stripped version, too, which is super easy to use, and does the job.
Some S/M and L/R adjusting you can do, at the mixing stage, though.

LeVzi
KVRAF
1845 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from Cardiff, Wales, UK

Post Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 am

Vengeance Stereo Bundle is awesome tbh, has some nice presets for mastering too.

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/plugins. ... o%20Bundle

Gets a lot of use on projects tbh, other than on the stereo bus.
Forward ever, Backward never

soulone82
KVRian
857 posts since 16 Aug, 2010 from almost everywhere...

Post Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 am

dubguy99 wrote:Nugen Audio Stereoizer is what the professionals use.
Aha.

.jon
KVRAF
5484 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am

mutantdog wrote:Tokyo Dawn SlickEQ GE can be used as a side EQ, stick one of its saturation algorithms on and it can really complement a well balanced mixdown.
Their mastering eq is even better suited for stereo imaging duties with width and pan per frequency band. And it has more bands.

Return to “Effects”