Looking for high quality guitar vsts

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there! So i am currently studying cinematic music and my favorite composer happens to be Hiroyuki Sawano. I already have high quality orchestral stuff, pianos, drums, etc. I am really just missing high quality playable guitars. I have Scarbee M Bass and stuff from Komplete, and also a few session guitars which are pattern based but am looking for more and possibly better that are playable. I am looking for ease of use and quality.

Here is one of my favorites from Sawano to give an example of something i'd like to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwPcVALb73E

Orange Tree Samples, uses the free Kontakt Player. Great if you're using a keyboard to play it. Sounds great too.

Check out Heavier7Strings: http://www.threebodytech.com/

AmpleSound is my personal favorite, but I've heard good things about Heavier7Strings as well (if you're into metal)

http://www.amplesound.net/en/index.asp

Orange Tree Samples looks good, and the guitars have their own amps which i like. How's the quality of the built in amps? I have Guitar Rig 5 if i need to use a separate amp but i also really like when instruments are self sufficient. Which guitars would you recommend from them to start with?

Heavier7Strings looks really nice too, but more specialized. Also has it's own effects unit/amps which is great!

Amplesound looks good too but does it come with it's own built in effects/amps? And which guitars are good to start with?

Another example of something i'd like to do. Another favorite and more recent from the same composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqrL8JV5gs

SpiritHanyou wrote:Orange Tree Samples looks good, and the guitars have their own amps which i like. How's the quality of the built in amps? I have Guitar Rig 5 if i need to use a separate amp but i also really like when instruments are self sufficient. Which guitars would you recommend from them to start with?

Heavier7Strings looks really nice too, but more specialized. Also has it's own effects unit/amps which is great!

Amplesound looks good too but does it come with it's own built in effects/amps? And which guitars are good to start with?

Another example of something i'd like to do. Another favorite and more recent from the same composer.

Can't play that vid in the U.S.. because, youtube is weird. So, here: https://vimeo.com/264624945

Sounds like you need an all around guitar, that can range from Rock to Metal.. and maybe some less distorted, to clean stuff once in a while.

Just about any guitar library that is designed for Metal.. can handle almost any other genre.

But, libraries not designed for Metal.. generally don't work well for the heavier stuff. You need a lot more uncommon articulations, to pull-off the Metal thing well. Many palm mute variations, ghost notes, chukkas, etc...

Regarding built-in effects.. it's sorta hit & miss with a lot of guitar libraries. Kontakt libraries generally have pretty terrible guitar effects. Orange Tree has a few nice ones built in Kontakt, for most of their clean to semi-dirty guitars.. though anything heavier than your basic Rock-like FX stuff, tends to suck.

Generally, you're gonna want to own some sort of amp/cab/fx simulator, so you can design your own tones.. and just route the libraries dry D.I. guitar signal through it. So, you've got that covered already with Guitar Rig.

Another library you might want to look into is impactsoundworks Shreddage series: https://impactsoundworks.com/products/c ... itar-bass/

Vir2's Electri6ity and Guitar Rig are my go-to's for almost all my guitar needs.. but I also use Shreddage 2, Evolution Dracus and a variety of other guitar amp/cab FX as well.. once in a while.

Yes. I don't necessarily mind having multiple guitar instruments covering the ranges but if there is an all around quality guitar vst that can do more work on it's own and is easy to use then that sounds good to me.

So a Metal Guitar library like the Heavier7Strings can work for rock and more softer stuff as well, but another type of guitar like say a les paul wouldn't work as well for the heavier stuff?

Yea i am a big fan of self containing instruments. I have the Symphony Series Orchestral series by NI and that stuff is all self contained ready to go which i love. I do have Guitar Rig 5 if i need it though so im ok with using that when needed.

Gotta be honest ive looked at Shreddage and am not really digging it. There's another Instrument called Invictus which sounds better to me. Have you heard of it?

Electri6ity looks good and seems to cover a lot of different needs but it's expensive and i've heard it's not the easiest to learn. What are your opinions on it?

SpiritHanyou wrote:...but another type of guitar like say a les paul wouldn't work as well for the heavier stuff?...Gotta be honest ive looked at Shreddage and am not really digging it. There's another Instrument called Invictus which sounds better to me. Have you heard of it?

Electri6ity looks good and seems to cover a lot of different needs but it's expensive and i've heard it's not the easiest to learn. What are your opinions on it?
If the Les Paul has enough articulations to cover the stuff you need for heavier stuff.. then, yeah. Most libraries won't cover that stuff though.

Yeah, I really wasn't a fan of Shreddage 'til I picked up a bundle of all the S2 guitars. They go a lot deeper than those first few Shreddage 1 offerings, but still.. they have a 'sound'. Definitely not a fan of their baked in 'squeals' vibrato.. even though that's a signature thing for them.

Invictus breaks too far away from the typical guitar library IMO, in terms of scripting.. for my tastes anyway. Strangely.. it reminds me a LOT of how Shreddage handled its early libraries, with things like canned power chords.. and whatnot. It's like it's trying to do too much, of what I'd rather just be doing myself.

Electri6ity is very expensive.. but you get a lot for the money. You can also find it on sale once in a while.. sometimes for 1/2 price. Eight different guitars, all very deeply sampled. So deeply.. it even works for Extreme Metal, even though it's obvious that is not even close to it's originally intended purpose.

You can hear what I did with it on this album:

http://soundcloud.com/progtronic/sets/mortis-metallum

It's very complicated to learn, however. Took me a few months to wrap my head around the many pages of options it gives you to fully customize each guitar.

It's as if they considered almost every possible option you could ever imagine for a sampled guitar library.. and then added even more stuff on top of that, that you'd probably never even consider.. then gave you all the power to get into every nook and cranny, and set them up however you want.

There's really nothing else like it available anywhere else. Once you get the hang of it.. it's really hard to use anything else without feeling there's just a lot "missing", in other libraries. Definitely recommended, if you can pick it up on sale.. and have the time and patience to learn the ins & outs of all the possibilities it offers.

OrangeTreeSamples all the way :tu:

Alright good to know.

Oh yea, baked in sounds/additions that are just not needed right?

So you mean Invictus is trying to do too much on it's own versus you being able to script/sculpt?

Ah cool. So 8 deeply sampled guitars, that's nice! But takes months to learn!? Ouch! Yea i don't know man. I am still a bit of a rookie with making music and haven't yet put anything out but for these past couple years what i have learned about myself is that while in the beginning i wanted to do things the hard way and do sound design and all that, nowadays i prefer ease of use along with quality and the flexibility to dive deeper if desired. So i don't know if Electri6ity is the instrument for me. But i like that it's got 8 deeply sampled guitars, so that's what makes it tempting.

On another note i see a lot of people recommending Orange Tree Samples and or Amplesound. If possible i'd like to hear more opinions on those from people that have used them.

Another example of my favorite composer's music. I just love that fusion and it's something i really want to emulate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCzzAALlkKM

For all around guitar I would go Evolution rock standard
And evolution infinity

bill45 wrote:For all around guitar I would go Evolution rock standard
And evolution infinity
Agreed. Though, not great for Metal.. it'll cover just about everything else, really well. Their acoustic guitars are amazing as well.

Regarding Amplesound.. I haven't bought into any of their libraries myself, because of the tuning limitations. I need to be able to tune really freaking low.. and I can do that with just about any Kontakt based library, but not with Amplesounds custom player (apparently).

Also, the few people I know who have a few Amplesound libraries.. say it's actually kind of difficult to get the kind of realism you hear in their demos. Maybe someone else here, who owns any of their libraries.. can elaborate on whether that's really true or not.

That last Vid you posted is really cool BTW.. you might like this Cinematic Metal styled remix I did a few months ago. It features both Evolution Dracus and Electri6ity guitars:
https://www.indabamusic.com/opportuniti ... 23ec8b8f61

Yea those evolution guitars sound really good.

As for Amplesound yea from what i hear between them and Orange Tree Samples i think the latter may suit me better (built in amps ftw).

Nice man! Sounds a bit like something Celldweller would do.

I was checking out that Heavier7Strings vst and i really like the immediate sound quality. Would that instrument be able to handle rock and softer ballad rock as well?

Also while i do have the Scarbee m, is there another bass guitar anyone can recommend?

And having a playable acoustic would do nicely too. The Evolution Songwriter looks really nice.

SpiritHanyou wrote:...I was checking out that Heavier7Strings vst and i really like the immediate sound quality. Would that instrument be able to handle rock and softer ballad rock as well?

Also while i do have the Scarbee m, is there another bass guitar anyone can recommend?...
Heavier7Strings would probably handle mellower stuff ok.. but my main issue with it, is the price. Pretty expensive for just one guitar. Most other guitar libraries average around $100 a piece, or less.. with discount sales.

Regarding basses.. check out the Scarbee Rickenbacker bass. It may be the last pick bass you will ever need. I use in on almost all my productions. Used it on that last track I linked, as well.

IK Multimedia MODO Bass is currently the best bass you can get, there's no competition.
However, you may find some small and cheap metal bass sound libraries for Kontakt that just do the job.
For example ZomBass 4 which was free or it's still free.
https://www.wilkinsonaudio.com/product/ ... ee5050eeb7

Now, when it comes to guitar sound libraries, to me they are all trash because I play guitar, have guitars and have guitar amps,
same thing with all those amp emulations, Guitar rigs and shit...
When you have the real thing, everything else is shit...
But, let's put that aside, if you want heavy metal elements that sound library needs to be based on guitar that has humbuckers.
If you take sound library with Telecaster or Stratocaster, you won't make it to sound heavy metal, because those guitars don't use humbuckers, they can't produce that heavy chug-chug, needed in metal.
I mean, even you take some cheap guitar for beginners like Washburn WI14 it will sound more metal than Fender Stratocaster from which is like 10 times cheaper just because it has 2 humbuckers and when you just chug-chug on it, it's a night and day difference.
Actually, these 2 guitars were standing next to each other at one point in my room because my neighbor brought his cousin with Washburn for me to set it up, to lower down the action and change strings and shit, the kid just bought guitar and learning to play it.
I plugged them both in my Fender Stage 185 guitar amp and trying them, explaining to him the differences in guitars...

So, when you go to search for guitar sound library you eliminate all Stratocaster, Telecaster and that sort of sound libraries, they are for rock, blues, country music, you need to look for sound libraries which are based on guitar that has humbuckers.
I mean, even if you look at 02:39 in the video of that live performance, you can see it's Les Paul and Les Paul has 2 humbuckers.
It's not a rocket science....
The point is that you will use staccatos on strings all the time and you'll need chugging on guitar all the time for that kind of music.
Guitars with humbuckers are producing that fat, meaty, heavy chugging.
So, whatever sound library you start looking at, you can expect that if it's based on guitar with humbackers that sound will be heavier,
more useful for heavy metal related stuff.

For example, when you look at Les Paul guitar, that guitar is associated with Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin.
However, many people don't know that he was actually using in studio Telecaster all the time and recording with it, not Les Paul.
He was using Les Paul on concerts, but early on he was playing with Telecaster on concerts too. On some tracks you can clearly hear the "twang" which Telecaster produces, characteristic sound for Telecasters, but in people's heads is always Les Paul and they don't pay attention at all because Jimmy Page = Les Paul....
So, there is a reason why there are so many different guitars and why xyz guitar is used for this and not that.

Return to “Instruments”