May Contest: Submissions "Chill Out"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chill Out

Harsh Words are spoken, promises are broken, old wounds are open and love walks out that door. But May is a new month and also a new contest theme!

The challenge this month is to write a chill-out song. The Wikipedia definition of the genre is pretty broad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill-out_music) so feel free to experiment and make it your own. Lounge, Classical, Pop, Ambient? No problem! Whatever fires up the old alpha waves. No time limit this month, really the only requirement is to just pop the top and chillll...

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - No time limit on your track this month!

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Monday, May 28, 2018.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1805_McChillenstein_CoolVibes.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, June 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to drapostrophex (that's me, Victor!) or ask in the gossip thread.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

My Submission

The Specs

Windows 7 64 Bit OS
Cubase 7.0.7 DAW

Instruments Used

Pianoteq 5
Kontakt Factory Jazz Drum Kit
MODO Bass
Session Horns Pro Tenor Sax
Synthmaster 2 Pad
Vocaloid 4 Avanna on vocals

FX used

Schepes Omni Channel Strip
Fabfilter Pro-Q 2
Fabfilter Pro-L Limiter
Fabfilter Pro-C Compressor
Fabfilter Pro-MB Compressor
REDD 17 Channel Strip
MTurboReverb
Vitamin
Abbey Road Vinyl

Composer - Steven Wagenheim
All Instruments Played By - Steven Wagenheim

Lyrics

Chill In The Air

There's a chill in the air
Every time you walk by
Just the touch of your hand
Brings a dead cold sigh

Every time you are near
And I can't hold it in
Those cold feelings I fear

You used to be so warm
You used to be so kind
We used to have such love
But now I'm going out of my mind

Every time that you smile
Nothing matters at all
Hasn't for a while

Repeat Bridge

Instrumental Break

One that won't go away
And things won't be the same
Then again maybe some day

http://wagsrfm.com/music/ChillInTheAir.mp3

What they referred to in the 90s as cool jazz. Or something like that.

Title: ChillStep

Well I didn't hit the Enya/Yanni target I had hoped for. Sigh.... This is way more chill than what I'm normally working on...plus it's got cello.
I bought Cubase 9 Pro last year and have really only used it for mixing and doing some live recording stuff. The last contest inspired me to get my midi in order, and I must say...things have Changed in 20 years. Wow. Have they ever.

No YouTube samples. I did want to but stopped myself.

Kontakt 5...finally got their 10 sounds to work and used a few. The Demo Synth Cello is so sick. I whipped out a quick solo before it timed-out.

I got heavy into Reaktor 5. There are some really cool things going on with that but it takes time to go through the presets and find what you want. There's instruments inside of that thing. I don't know what you call them but I used them.

Drums are a Groove Agent mess. Super Powerful progam with a nasty high learning curve. My beat making skills are suspect at this point...but I can see some posibilities.

The "escalator" thing got stuck in my head this whole time and that is what the last part is supposed to be...scales going up and down. Didn't get a chance to mix this (got stuck with midi sound with horrible pans and volume control)...sadly can't work on this anymore...flying out...no music, but those scales were supposed to be panned hard left and right for up and down movement. There's about 25 tracks I think...not including the drum kits I just left alone.

Here's the MP3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y9RV28 ... sp=sharing

Chillin' On My Rocket

https://soundcloud.com/jonny-632235726/ ... -my-rocket

Used Serum, Reaktor, Icarus, Genesis Children's Choir...

three Public Domain NASA recordings

a microphone

and cubase 9

Thanks for chillin' :phones:

You will listen to the bastard mandolin playing.... :P

Still in folkie wanker mode, (Lez Zep 3a?! -probably loads of 70s ripoffs in this..) Resisted the urge (tempting though it was) to inhale some Helium, wear tight pants and do the full Bob Plant, so you've got the usual crooning.

A song about just being contented and chilling, happy with your lot in a particular time and place, doing what you're doing with no care for time (maaaaan..), be it making or listening to music, reading, whatever. Hippy shit in other words.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/05- ... ishism.mp3

The bizzle;

Crappy 12 string acoustic guitar
Crappy 12 string electric guitar
Relatively better 6 string acoustic
Said cheap mandolin
'Drumloops' made from hitting the back of 6 string guitar (why I chose the better one...? :scared: )
More percussion bits made from hitting the Behringer microphone box
Even more percussion made from rubbing the drumsticks together for a sort of low quality guiro
Some clapping
Tambourine loop
Kontakt factory library ensemble strings
Kontakt factory library mellotron strings
Satantank 2 ebow patch
2 vocal tracks

Time to play some metel...

wrong forum... :roll:

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/44475 ... ACspQlXg2P
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/0518 ... f-the-moon
note : not for re-distribution
I've wanted to do a cover of this beautiful WaterBoys song circa 1985 for the longest time . . .
LIVE10
Basso Profundo GTR
Strato and Parker GTRs
Korg EPiano
MicroTonic Drums
WaveTable Bass
Operator FM Piano
Male Baritone Voice & Melodyne Essential v.4
LIVE efx (x mega)
Valhalla Vintage Verb & uberMod
EchoBode & EchoBoy
Trash
Little uShift
Ozone5
nothing says chill like a sexy bass gtr and a rhodes piano

more peace; not less
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Had a bit of writers block this month so have taken some elements from my previous 2 entries and created a new song:-
Icarus

DAW
Tracktion 7

Instruments
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums 2 & Keys
TAL Noisemaker & Reverb 2
Tracktion 4-Band EQ, Reverb, Chorus, Delay, Low/High Pass Filter & Phaser
TDR Nova & Feedback Compressor
PhreePhuzz
AmpleGuitar 2 Lite
OldSkoolVerb
mda EPiano
Kontakt 5 Demo
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

DrApostropheX wrote:Chill Out

Harsh Words are spoken, promises are broken, old wounds are open and love walks out that door. But May is a new month and also a new contest theme!

The challenge this month is to write a chill-out song. The Wikipedia definition of the genre is pretty broad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill-out_music) so feel free to experiment and make it your own. Lounge, Classical, Pop, Ambient? No problem! Whatever fires up the old alpha waves. No time limit this month, really the only requirement is to just pop the top and chillll...

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - No time limit on your track this month!

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Monday, May 28, 2018.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1805_McChillenstein_CoolVibes.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, June 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to drapostrophex (that's me, Victor!) or ask in the gossip thread.
So, what exactly is the reason, why the download-link via the Soundcloud won´t due?
If this works in the OSC, why not here?

Frozen Lake

HW:
Charvel guitar, Std-D DIY 'Swamp' strat, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, H&K Tubemeister 5, Alesis Nanoverb, Rocktron Chameleon, B-E-A-D 'Franken'-bass, Zoom MS-60B
SW :
Minimogue VA, NI Bandstand, NI Battery, NI B4, Trilogy, Truepianos, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field
Samples :
Loopmasters Lounge Chillout [Drums]

Song title: Let it Breathe

I recorded a friend of mine, Lady Zaza with her cool voice that fits nicely in the chillvibe.
Also baby Emy-Rose 2 years old in her 'no phase' had fun making some noizes in the microphone drenched in reverb. All Lyrics by Lady Zaza and Emy-Rose.

I think it became a cool track.

Hardware: AKG414 mic into a solo 610 preamp
Software:
Drums: SD3, Battery 4 and Absynth 5
Synths: Repro-1, Repro-5, Synthmaster 2.9, Hybrid 3
Kontakt: Cassetto, Maverick, Una Corda

Bunch of plugz: Breeze2, Blackhole, MJUC, DC8C2 SLickEQGE, H-Delay,
Manny Delay, SandmanPro, ReelADT, MXXX, Ubermod, MautodynamicEQ, MaagEQ2, VSC-2, C-6, Kclip3, BxLimiter, Graffio2, VPre-73, DBX160 and c165a.

Some tamtam loops from Home Grown Sounds complete 2010.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PK3cfW ... sp=sharing

https://soundcloud.com/user-211046344/1 ... etitbreath
Last edited by Boone777 on Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Specs:

Windows 10 32-bit
DAW: Cubase Essential 5

Instruments:

Bell Pad: ZynAddSubFx
Strings: Sample Tank 2.5 Free
Double Bass: Sample Tank 2.5 Free
Flute: Sample Tank 2.5 Free
Classical Guitar: Independence Free
Electric Guitar: Kontakt Player 5 Rock Guitar
Bass Guitar: OXE FM synth; settings by myself
Drums: GSCW drums imported to soft sampler Shortcircuit v.1.1.2

FX:

Reverb: Independece Free Fx
Guitar Overdrive: Voxengo Tube Amp
Bass guitar High cut filter AND Chorus: Independence Free
Limiter: Independence Free

Singing:

Myself

Lyrics (by myself): (Since I'm not American nor English I thought I'd better provide it, and if it's still incomprehensible I don't know what to do.)

I really do chill out
promises are broken
harsh words are spoken
wounds are open again
but may is here with a new commitment
to blur an ace
try to embrace
a place that can be toxic
unless you can beat them all

battlefields are often
a temptation, an allure
when you face lots of trouble, and get attacked
to flee into a rainstorm
and seek a shelter that is wet
may be another option
or maybe an adoption

of other people's plans
and their way of living
they use your kindness
how can they understand?
but may is here with a new commitment
to blur an ace
try to embrace
a place that can be toxic
unless you can beat them all

battlefields are often
a temptation, an allure
when you face lots of trouble and get attacked
to find your only way out
without a weapon in your hand
you only have to beat them
in terms of resolution

https://soundcloud.com/per_bellener/180 ... tochillout
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

Hello,
here is my track for may contest, and my any first track at KVR.

https://soundcloud.com/user-489583718/1 ... uechillout

As the name associates, it is somehow bluesy and melancholic, just instrumental.

I composed and played it with Cubase AI 7 under Windows.

These VSTi-Pugins were used for the instruments:
Drums : MT-Power-Drums
Bass: NI Scarbee Jay-Bass
EPiano: GSI Mr Ray 22
Synth-Brass-Sound: Synapse-Audio The Legend
Repeating High Note in Background: Uhe Diva
Lead-Synth: Moog Animoog for iPhone,
Organ: GSI VB3

Very big thanks to Andre Brust from Klangwerkstatt Bönen (Germany), who kindly produced the endmix of the track in a very long night session. I don't remember all the names of the VST-Effectplugin-s he used neither the names of the analog hardware for the mastertrack, but the result is very much better than I ever could have done it by myself. Thanks again for your patience and positive vibrations, Andre!

Martin

Here is my humble submission called "Tibetan Chilli"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7732e1rdqhh6 ... Chilli.mp3

Instruments:
4 different Tibetan bowles, a little bell, a shaker

Software:
Max/MSP running "Les Ondes Memorielles", recorded live into Bitwig, spiced with OrilRiver

Some contest filler material.
It's called Bolt, for reasons.

>> ogg vorbis Bolt << | >> mp3 Bolt <<

Sound sources: zynaddsubfx | drumatic | angelina | zebracm | xhip | obxd
Sound manipulators: tal-dub | tal-reverb | drowaudio-flanger
Keeping things in order: tracktion waveform

Return to “Music Cafe”