New granular morph plotting sampler: Glitchmachines Palindrome

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought this plugin immediately and blindly because the GLITCHMACHINES stuff is really awesome...for sound designers who are willing to spend some amount of time figuring out everything.

GUI-SIZE:
yes it is small. Very small. But Ivo is aware of that and he wants to do something to change this - as I understood - for all his plugins. BUT we have to be patient. It is a complicated process and it will take time. If you buy now you will support him for his further visions and I am sure there are great things to come in the future.

SOUND:
don´t charge by the presets alone. GM plugins come with big sample libraries. These samples are mostly made ... by GM-plugins and sampled directly from the output. Very rough and mostly glitchy and metallic sounding stuff. One can easily get the image that all the GM-plugins sound the same...that is not the case. It seems like this because they are using their own samples in the presets and they sound similar to each other. Don´t be fooled by this.

The sample-based plugins really shine when you put your own field-recordings or your own instrument-samples through them. Sound quality is heavily based on the quality of your own stuff.

CPU-USAGE:
Great. Very low and thats astonishing because the GM-plugins have a veeeeery deep and complex modulation matrix and severeal output efxs on top.

IVO:
always there to help. Fast responses when writing emails to GM-support. Top!

COPY PROTECTION?:
nope! What is a absolutely fantastic and user friendly behavoir that I appreciate so much.

TOO PRICY?:
Definitely not. These plugins are deep, very deep and they are stable. All his earlier plugins got free updates already. There is future support when you buy now.

SALES?:
There are occasional from sales and big lower prices for bundles.

I wish you a joyful granular-glitching-modulating-time!

It looks good, I'll pick it up at some point in the nearish future. Very glad at least this one has (limited) polyphony, the mono limitation on Polygon really stunted it in many ways. I love glitchmachines plugs but I do wish their GUIs were less cryptic, you come back to one of their plugs after a break of a few months and deciphering what does is like trying to read Japanese.

Hi KVR, hi Ivo,
Played around whith it for about 4 hours now and I think it´s great. I think it would be a great revaluation if future updates would feature this elements:

- optional sample time-stretch

- grain count and choosable amount of triggered grains which are generatet within a certain choosable time (right now there is no possibility to generate a grain-cloud, or I couldn´t figure out how)

- more morph-options to choose from. At the moment the morphing sounds too tame and more like a blending over between the 4 samples and not like a real transformation between different sources.

- more efx like wave manipulation tools

- the possibility of manipulating one sample with another like "sync", "OSC-crossover" or "FM"

- the possibility to modulate each parameter with each parameter of the plugin.

I think PALINDROME is a already very good starting point into something which can become totally amazing one day. Spoiled by many fantastic sound sculpting I was a bit sobered by the fact that PALINDROME is not as deep as I thought it would be and everything is explored relatively fast. I clearly hoped for more, especially concerning the morph-option and the sound of the morph.

Don´t get me wrong, I like Palindrome for what it is right now. I got nice soundscapes and efx out of it using my recorded sounds and by changing some of the presets. Particularly the option to actually draw the 8 modulation envelops and drag their buttons onto the modulation destinations is a great idea. The layout of the plugin in generall is very cool and reminds me of 80th arcade hall games. I really hope there are plans by GLITCHMACHINES to invest further time in this dreamy plugin to make it more deep. Ivo I wish you and your team all the best and I would be pleased if you would say some words about future plans. I totally believe in your creativity and your care for your custumors and will support your projects further without sacrifying my critical (and hopefully constructive) thinking :) Cheers

Hi Guys!

Ivo here, from Glitchmachines. I don't come here often but wanted to log in to post a short response.

First off, thanks for the comments and feedback - all very helpful!

For all the technical suggestions/requests - some of these are totally doable, while others are simply beyond our technical capacity. I've logged everything we can reasonably achieve in our spreadsheet, which we'll review and discuss closely when it comes time for forthcoming updates.

To that end, I should note that we are always mindful of what else could be done - sometimes it simply comes down to what we can reasonably accomplish with our microscopic team - certain features or functions simply get pushed back until such a time when we can implement them, while we focus on the "bread & butter" features for the first build. Rest assured that we plan to evolve this plugin!

On the topic of UI size - yes, this is on my list but as another user noted, it's not a simple task and won't be possible for the time being. Resizeable UI have to be built with vector graphics and while this is totally possible, it will not be easy based on the nature of our plugins (with so many embedded tabs/panels, etc).

However, all that said and I still can't fully understand why the UI size is currently an issue - I'm writing from a new iMac Pro which has a 5K Retina screen and all of our plugins look totally legible and clean to me. Perhaps you've god the screen res cranked to max? But in that case, don't most of your plugins look tiny anyway? Regardless, we're aware of the need for this in order to future proof our software and we're actively pursuing out options.

Regarding pricing: I'm not sure I agree that $69 is that pricey - most people seem really happy with our pricing architecture and I should note that I put a lot of time and effort into keeping our prices super low and competitive.

One thing that was mentioned were the discounts for bundle owners and so on: I recognize that our current methods are less than ideal, but as was stated this is due to DPD. Yes, they offer coupons but it's not that simple - the administrative back end has to support this and it currently doesn't. There is simply no way for us to orchestrate an upgrade system manually either. Believe me when I say this is a topic of much frustration for me and I genuinely believe that I've found the best balance to keep customers happy in doing things they way we currently are - until such a time when DPD offers us more options or we migrate somewhere else.

Well, that's all for now - I'll check back here over the coming days/weeks in case I need to reply to a message or query.

A big thanks to those of you whom are supportive of our work!

Ivo

Glitchmachines wrote:Hi Guys!

Ivo here, from Glitchmachines. I don't come here often but wanted to log in to post a short response.

First off, thanks for the comments and feedback - all very helpful!

For all the technical suggestions/requests - some of these are totally doable, while others are simply beyond our technical capacity. I've logged everything we can reasonably achieve in our spreadsheet, which we'll review and discuss closely when it comes time for forthcoming updates.

To that end, I should note that we are always mindful of what else could be done - sometimes it simply comes down to what we can reasonably accomplish with our microscopic team - certain features or functions simply get pushed back until such a time when we can implement them, while we focus on the "bread & butter" features for the first build. Rest assured that we plan to evolve this plugin!

On the topic of UI size - yes, this is on my list but as another user noted, it's not a simple task and won't be possible for the time being. Resizeable UI have to be built with vector graphics and while this is totally possible, it will not be easy based on the nature of our plugins (with so many embedded tabs/panels, etc).

However, all that said and I still can't fully understand why the UI size is currently an issue - I'm writing from a new iMac Pro which has a 5K Retina screen and all of our plugins look totally legible and clean to me. Perhaps you've god the screen res cranked to max? But in that case, don't most of your plugins look tiny anyway? Regardless, we're aware of the need for this in order to future proof our software and we're actively pursuing out options.

Regarding pricing: I'm not sure I agree that $69 is that pricey - most people seem really happy with our pricing architecture and I should note that I put a lot of time and effort into keeping our prices super low and competitive.

One thing that was mentioned were the discounts for bundle owners and so on: I recognize that our current methods are less than ideal, but as was stated this is due to DPD. Yes, they offer coupons but it's not that simple - the administrative back end has to support this and it currently doesn't. There is simply no way for us to orchestrate an upgrade system manually either. Believe me when I say this is a topic of much frustration for me and I genuinely believe that I've found the best balance to keep customers happy in doing things they way we currently are - until such a time when DPD offers us more options or we migrate somewhere else.

Well, that's all for now - I'll check back here over the coming days/weeks in case I need to reply to a message or query.

A big thanks to those of you whom are supportive of our work!

Ivo
Hi Ivo,
I appreciate your visit and your statements and enjoyed reading. Nice to have direct insights from developers. I am looking forward for future updates and until then I just will have fun with PALINDROME :party:

Joyful programming and all the best for you and your team mates. Cheers.

Double post. Sorry.

Hi Ivo,

Luv the plugs, great that you're on KVR...I will bring up a couple of things here:

-I wouldn't call the GUIs all that small, but I think that the fonts are basically awful. They are what I would call "thin & weak". They just aren't clear & solid looking...they do not render nicely at all, or inspire confidence. Kind of blurry in places, and I have a pretty good monitor. Can you fix this?

Your plug-ins are as cool as they are unique. Very fresh! And they simply deserve better, bolder fonts. With so many choices available, this is disappointing, to say the least. :lol: Do you think progress could be made here, in upcoming versions?

Please? Okay, I'll say it: "pretty please"? :hihi:

-The other thing is that it would be really nice if users could have an account, and be able to access their plug-ins anytime, most companies have this type of system.

To conclude...a big thank you for these great products, GlitchMachines! Seriously. Also looking forward to see what Palindrome is all about, and your sample packs look pretty good too.

Hi Guys,

Just dropping by to respond to the latest comments.

We will be updating all of our plugins throughout the year and we'll take a close look at the situation with the fonts in order to find the most suitable solution.

For user accounts: this has always been the plan as it's obviously a more efficient system than what we're currently doing. However, the complexity of migrating all of our sales data to such a framework is somewhat daunting so it will take some time for us to get this right - but it's absolutely on the list of priorities.

I'll be posting some Palindrome videos this week in case you guys want to have a closer look.

Thanks again for your feedback and I'll keep checking back.

Cheers!

Ivo
Glitchmachines

Thank you for the information. Sounds great :) :tu:

Good to hear the older plugins will get some love. Do you plan to contact customers when updates are available? I've changed emails since buying from you (I have all of your vst's, and the old InearDisplay stuff). I was disappointed when no discount was offered on Palindrome to previous customers. Its not a cheap, no-brainer price imho. I haven't bought it.

@thecontrolcentre: Yes indeed; when we have an update, we generate an email to everyone that has purchased the relevant product. The email typically outlines the details of the update as well as provides the customer with a fresh download link. We also announce such updates via our social media channels (Twitter, FB, IG) so if your email has changed, you can keep an eye on these for news. Alternatively, you can always contact our support team to request an email update - they can help you change the contact email in our database.

As far as pricing goes, things like affordability are pretty subjective and I fully respect that $69 isn't a no brainer purchase for you. That said, I work very hard to find the right price points for our products and since this is our leading, flagship product at the moment, the $69 price point is not only logical but also very in tune with current industry standards. I often see similar plugins priced at $99 and above, so from our perspective, $69 is very fair.

As far as discounts go; I am definitely a fan of rewarding existing customers! However, this is where we're kind of stuck since DPD offers very little in terms of flexibility when it comes to offering upgrade paths and things of that nature. There simply isn't a functional way to give bundle owners discounts on future purchases, for example. Believe me when I say that I'm definitely frustrated with these limitations and I'm on the lookout for a viable long-term solution. Since DPD hasn't changed dramatically in the last 5 years, this is most likely going to necessitate the migration to a completely different merchant service - all of which is going to be difficult to execute. Rest assured that it's high on my priority list to solve this.

aww man, I thought it was going to be a software version of one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... indrometer

@ShawnG:
No, thats a complete different matter :hihi:

@Glitchmachines:
Hi and thank you again for the deep insights. Very informative and understandable. I think 69€ isn´t too much for a unique plugin (and you plugins are unique for me), always having in mind that you have been providing updates for existing plugins for free and regarding stability and quality. There are examples of companies charging much more for much less stability and content. Thinking in long terms I think GM plugins are a bargain.

Joy of sound and joy in life to all of you.

For the ones interested, Palindrome is on sale (as well as their other products).

Received that in my inbox this morning:
Save 35% on all purchases through Aug. 15th.
Code: GLTCHSUMMER

https://www.facebook.com/Glitchmachines/

This is my chance to finally dive in and grab that Palindrome! :hyper:

Haha. Yes I know. Now there is no reason to hesitate anymore. The prices are reasonable enough even without any discount. With 35% discount they are no-brainers. I highly recommend QUADRANT...but all the others too :)

A joyful modulation to you.

Return to “Instruments”