Cubase and crap like that

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ever notice Cubase users have most issues with plugins? Might want to swap programs seems best bet

acousticglue wrote:Ever notice Cubase users have most issues with plugins?
No.

acousticglue wrote:Ever notice Cubase users have most issues with plugins? Might want to swap programs seems best bet
No. Certainly hasn't been my experience.

Seems this person is managing.

The desire here was to say that many users who use Cubase, which I have only demoed back in 1999 or thereabouts it seems, have more complaints of plugins that do not do something or crash Cubase. If you feel free to read those complaints (and maybe they are newbies who do not know what they are doing) or the program just doesn't like the coding that many other programs are fine with. I dont care how much of a cluttered multitrack you have. Is it that the programmers out there have to learn to put something in place so Cubase can be fine or is it that the programmers just aint worth a dime? Or is it Cubase? I just wish they wouldnt complain on here. No biggie and my last post on subject. It is always programmer adds new product and someone has to say Cubase doesnt work.

With Cubase's Blacklist functionality, I would argue that Cubase is probably more stable than the average DAW when working with poorly behaving plugins.

gotcha

No issues with plugins here. I do experience a lot of other bugs though.

Not a Cubase user but I don't notice any noticeable differences in reports of plugin instability. If anything, Waveform seems to have the most problems, but I'm a Waveform owner in the Tracktion forum so I'm probably exposing myself to it. Selection bias, you know? On the other hand I hardly hear any legit problems with plugins in Reaper. Besides automatic blacklisting on initial detect, there are several dedicated process options that limit the damage.

On that note, stability does seem to be more of a plugin issue than DAW issue. We're talking realtime CPU-melting programs so it's not surprising that plugins can crash, but some developers do seem more prone than others. Developing a plugin covers several programming domains that require expert levels of knowledge and experience, so it's not surprising someone could be, say good at DSP theory but not the GUI API for Windows or assembly optimization. Nevermind the sheer variability of configurations on a platform like Windows or Linux. But damn, does Kontakt crash a lot regardless of DAW or platform.

Mitigation is the name of the game here. A DAW must be able to isolate the process and not be brought down with the plugin.

I am guessing Cubase is pretty cracked ? It would be No. 1 DAW that appears for youth searching cracks online. That might account for some of it ? Cubase has not always been as stable as it is in its current incarnation. You also have to figure in thousands of PC hardware/soundcard driver combinations which for Logic for example does not even occur - being Mac only - but I still here plenty of people moaning about Logic and its updates overall. Win 10 in itself has better memory handling as far as I have understood, even Sylenth1 which is known as robust crashed Cubase on Win7 and it was down to some memory handling issue (API Hooking error). No such issues in W10.

We have to remember many Bridge and bridging if a fudge, a work around, don't rely on it. If it works, great for you but I see it for the unreliable mess it is. If you want a serious and dependable DAW system don't bridge. Bridging is not officially supported in v9 onwards, but being humans we tend to push things as far as we can and can then expect the problems that unsupported working methods bring with them.

Version 9 onwards has been working like a dream, 64 bit only here. I have had no crashes since v9 it has been plain sailing and smooth. The PC is Windows 10 but my cpu and motherboard is 5 years old, yet it is rock solid taking 100+ track projects in its stride. I could not be happier with it personally speaking.

From time to time I do get an Access Virus problem, but this seems to follow using a Virus like a cart follows the horse.

Never had an issue tbh, just with the error reporting was a bit more in depth for dev's of plugins.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Absolutely rock solid here and has been since SX1 in 2002.

If a plugin goes down it goes down in both Cubase and Live meaning it isn’t a DAW issue.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I started using this plugin years ago... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204964 . Never had any instability issues across multiple hosts or various operating systems. Rock solid and improved my love life. :love:

No issues here. But I'm not using obsolete technologies like 32bit plugins ;) Which seems to be the most problematic thing for Cubase users.
It would be funny if Steinberg, company that created VST would have more problems with their own technology than 3rd party companies don't ya think?

nocturnal owl wrote:I started using this plugin years ago... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204964 . Never had any instability issues across multiple hosts or various operating systems. Rock solid and improved my love life. :love:
Yeah I'm still saving to get it. Sold my eyes and both kidneys. Still not enough for this holy grail of plugins. One day, one day...

Return to “Effects”