UltraAnalog seems underrated

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:I guess sometimes it's possible to overrate being underrated
And that quite naturally leads us to the apple-orange paradox: is discoDSP less or more underwhelming than UA is over or under rated?? :wheee:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I guess sometimes it's possible to overrate being underrated
And that quite naturally leads us to the apple-orange paradox: is discoDSP less or more underwhelming than UA is over or under rated?? :wheee:
I'm underwhelmed by how overwhelmed people are by underratedness being overrated.

chk071 wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: As far as underrated synths, I still think Corona is one of the most underrated.
Just my opinion, but, i find all the discoDSP synths quite underwhelming.
I find them pretty good actually. Just forget what they're supposed to emulate and take them as they are. Good stuff.

Distorted Horizon wrote:Just forget what they're supposed to emulate and take them as they are.
Imagine someone said that about Arturia's stuff. ;)

Well, OBXd is quite OK actually. I found Phantom pretty horrible, Discovery demo didn't start here at all, and Corona left me pretty unexcited. Dunno, just not my cup of tea. And, FWIW, most of them are over 10 years old.

I skipped breakfast this morning. Now I am under-ated :P

I remember coming across UA-1 for the first time and thinking "Well, this isn't particularly 'Ultra', but it's not shabby- decent bread-&-butter synth, I'm sure plenty of folks have gotten some useful sounds out of it."
Then when I saw UA-2's debut (its "I'm really different!" GUI), at first I thought "Hmm, maybe they've really got something new under the hood to woo fans of VAs like Loomer Aspect or DIVA."
I gave it a whirl, and was underwhelmed, as functionality/options seemed to have actually decreased, and my ears weren't finding anything new; if anything, UA-2 struck me as a step backward. Nothing against AAS's great achievements with things like Chromaphone and Tassman, but development taking a back seat to marketing never tempts me to reach for my wallet.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ccDuckett wrote:I gave it a whirl, and was underwhelmed
Understandably.
But if you gave it a wave, you would be overwhelmed.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

chk071 wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:Just forget what they're supposed to emulate and take them as they are.
Imagine someone said that about Arturia's stuff. ;)

Well, OBXd is quite OK actually. I found Phantom pretty horrible, Discovery demo didn't start here at all, and Corona left me pretty unexcited. Dunno, just not my cup of tea. And, FWIW, most of them are over 10 years old.
Same goes with Arturia :hihi:

The magic in Corona is in those different sub, add, cross etc etc modes in how osc 1 and 2 talk to each others. Can bring up some nice waveforms.

I revisited UA2 several times as I WAS intrigued by the ambient patches and eventually bought it second hand.
For me that was certainly a good deal. At full price... no. If you see that Zebra goes for 150$ and UA2 full price for 199$, that's way too pricey.

I find UA2 excellent for ambient stuff. It has pad and atmospheres with a very generative character.
Some of the generative patches are pretty amazing and have very much a modular/organic character to them.
You can build a full sound playing with just one patch actually.
So for me this is a excellent synth for ambient and soundtracks.

No too impressed with the bass patches but if you want e.g. a Juno Bass, we have Tal or U-he stuff for that.

I demoed UltraAnalog last year and I though it sounded great like angels singing or something. But I didn't like gui it's so grey and not sexy enough like somebodys first attemp to make vst in the year 1991 or earlier. It would have been better to release it maybe late 80's or early 90's and keep everything same so people would have liked it more. That is my marketing advice.

Oopi wrote:I demoed UltraAnalog last year and I though it sounded great like angels singing or something. But I didn't like gui it's so grey and not sexy enough like somebodys first attemp to make vst in the year 1991 or earlier. It would have been better to release it maybe late 80's or early 90's and keep everything same so people would have liked it more. That is my marketing advice.

Yeah, if you could have released a VSTi in the late eighties, you would have been incredibly successful. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Michael L wrote:
ccDuckett wrote:I gave it a whirl, and was underwhelmed
Understandably.
But if you gave it a wave, you would be overwhelmed.
Gave it nothin and Im just plain ol whelmed...

ghettosynth wrote:Their VA algorithms are old hat and it shows in Ultra Analog. I still feel like I spent $15 too much on the no-brainer buy back in 2010 or so.
i got it back then as well, one of the first VSTs i ever bought (anyone still using ReFX 'QuadraSID'?). i know i missed out on the (popular at the time) 'Xils3 LE' sale, i was really impressed with that when i tried it shortly after. Xils Lab (PolyKBII especially) is what "sold me" on softsynths after a few years of not being too impressed overall (bought 'Reaktor 5' shortly after buying Ableton in 2006).

never really used it at all, but i always remember feeling that the arpeggiator had a nice "musical" feel to the way it triggers. same with the Novation V-Station (had the K-Station synth years back). it's old and i never use it (got the Novation synths free a few years ago), but there's just something that i enjoy about it. sort of a pleasing rubber/plastic sound, similar to KarmaFX (maybe?).

i think i bought the whole AAS collection for $200 or so (??) at the beginning of the year, i was actually a bit surprised at how much i liked UltraAnalog when i installed it again. i really dig their other stuff (Chromaphone, String Studio, etc). oddly enough, i had Ableton Suite for years and never liked using the AAS versions inside of that. some sort of psychological bias or what?

[cripes, just told my whole life story. feeling a bit like someone we all know. at least i didn't mention Waves 'OneKnob Fatter'. that's a plus, i guess.
:hihi: ]

"version 3 of their amazing Ultra Analog virtual synth now renamed Ultra Analog VA-3.

This new version of Ultra Analog is now two-voice multitimbral, includes a completely redesigned browser, powerful tweaking with midi-controlled mappings, a library with more than 500 new sounds by renowned sound designers, and more..."

sacer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 pm "version 3 of their amazing Ultra Analog virtual synth now renamed Ultra Analog VA-3.

This new version of Ultra Analog is now two-voice multitimbral, includes a completely redesigned browser, powerful tweaking with midi-controlled mappings, a library with more than 500 new sounds by renowned sound designers, and more..."
i only saw the new synth in my don't crack email. On the AAS site, it isn't there. Nor there is a possible way to upgrade..weird

Return to “Instruments”