polyverse iWish - anything similar?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
woggle
KVRAF
1802 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Post Sat May 26, 2018 2:16 am

Polyverse iWish is on sale at the moment and it looks like a lot of fun. But I have no idea if the technique they are using is available elsewhere. Are there any similar plugins?
Here is link to its home page https://polyversemusic.com/products/i-wish/

woggle
KVRAF

Re: polyverse iWish - anything similar?

Post Sat May 26, 2018 3:03 pm

in particular I would like to hear something using field recordings or delicate work using iWish subtly. If at all possible :)

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2340 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Sat May 26, 2018 3:07 pm

NI the finger does pretty much anything that IWish does. So does Sugarbytes Artillary. The Manipulator plugin lets you get far weirder with your stuff. IWish is just a tuned stutter effect. Actually isotope stutter edit does all that stuff too.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

woggle
KVRAF

Post Sat May 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Ah_Dziz wrote:NI the finger does pretty much anything that IWish does. So does Sugarbytes Artillary. The Manipulator plugin lets you get far weirder with your stuff. IWish is just a tuned stutter effect. Actually isotope stutter edit does all that stuff too.
thanks - I will explore those

woggle
KVRAF

Post Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm

actually I cant see how they re the same at all - i cant find any way they select a fragment of the incoming audio and play it at the pitch of the midi note for example

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 4:27 am

There are a few finger presets with names like "tuned buffers" "tuned combs" those will get you there.

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 4:31 am

Then in artillery you can use the tonal looper effect with key tracking to do it. In stutter edit you can just select pitches for the stutter length instead of a note length.

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 4:32 am

The fun things with all these other three is that you will then be able to use the other effects in there on top of the tuned buffers.

woggle
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 5:02 am

Ah_Dziz wrote:There are a few finger presets with names like "tuned buffers" "tuned combs" those will get you there.
thanks - I cant get it to make a sound at all even following a couple of tutes on getting Finger to work in Reaper. Can get other ensembles to make a sound but not this one. I think I will forget it - really not worth my time to dick around testing out stuff that is too hard for me to get working when I can just buy something that is easy to use. My time is still worth money :)

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 am

I dunno how it would be set up in reaper. In cubase I just make a new midi track and send its output to the reaktor instance that the finger is loaded into. I Own IWish and it is a simple way of achieving that effect. Just wanted to point out some other methods of achieving it.

woggle
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 5:53 am

Ah_Dziz wrote:I dunno how it would be set up in reaper. In cubase I just make a new midi track and send its output to the reaktor instance that the finger is loaded into. I Own IWish and it is a simple way of achieving that effect. Just wanted to point out some other methods of achieving it.
thanks I really appreciate your time trying to help - no idea why I cant get that particular effect going - there is a specific Reaper tute for The Finger and even following that exactly gets me nowhere. Yet other ensembles I can work fine. It's a puzzle, but every so often that happens with Reaper for me - some setting or other has been switched by accident or maybe it will work after a reboot in the morning.

woggle
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 6:10 am

Ah_Dziz wrote:I dunno how it would be set up in reaper. In cubase I just make a new midi track and send its output to the reaktor instance that the finger is loaded into. I Own IWish and it is a simple way of achieving that effect. Just wanted to point out some other methods of achieving it.
and then I got it working :) Turned off Reaper for a while and after answering the last post I thought why not give it another go - given I have turned Reaper off and ... got it working straight away. As so often I have no idea why it would work this time but it did

thanks again

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 7:27 am

Good stuff. Play with that some before you spend money on a new plugin. I'm obsessed with midi controlled effects so I have tons of em. But the finger really can do pretty much everything that IWish does. Sometimes I'll use them both in series or parallel, and then into artillery.

woggle
KVRAF

Post Sun May 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Ah_Dziz wrote:Good stuff. Play with that some before you spend money on a new plugin. I'm obsessed with midi controlled effects so I have tons of em. But the finger really can do pretty much everything that IWish does. Sometimes I'll use them both in series or parallel, and then into artillery.
:tu: I would love to hear people using iWish /the others on non beat abstract music. One thing I do like about iWish (as much as I can tell) is the useability. I have Gatekeeper and it is very usable, I do like devices that do one thing with power and clarity, rather than lots of things requiring devotion from the user.

oh and Artillery - hmm I like SugarBytes stuff - they are interesting - Obscurium is good, I've used it hosting Kaivo which is interesting

Terrafractyl
KVRist
340 posts since 15 Nov, 2005 from Melbourne Australia

Post Sun May 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Hey there.
Been using and Lovig these types of plugs for ages too. I fell in love with the atomiser (from the virus ti) many moons ago and when I sold my virus I was unhappy with the lack of software options. (This was before iWish, or the finger had come out) Artillery seemed great but overkill, So I made my own realtor ensemble to do it.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/9291/

It's nothing in comparison to Sutter edit or artillery or any of these uber multi fsu FX but it's capable, has a few tricks up it's sleeve and it's free :)
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Return to “Effects”