Waves TORQUE - really good or just nonsense?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the idea seems very nice, i mean when i wanted to have upper octaves of a drum sound i just timestretch it in fl studio itself but how well and clean is TORQUE?

just a gimmick tool?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:the idea seems very nice, i mean when i wanted to have upper octaves of a drum sound i just timestretch it in fl studio itself but how well and clean is TORQUE?

just a gimmick tool?
Do you start a topic for every thought you have? Try the demo and find out.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Caine123 wrote:the idea seems very nice, i mean when i wanted to have upper octaves of a drum sound i just timestretch it in fl studio itself but how well and clean is TORQUE?

just a gimmick tool?
yes im a philosophr and my demo is sadly old and unusable
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

just a gimmick tool?
yes im a philosophr and my demo is sadly old and unusable
If you email them they'll often extend your demo. Otherwise it's included in 3 bundles that you can demo.

Did you not try it the first demo period?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Do you start a topic for every thought you have?
At least for every plugin that is on sale.

:roll:

just a gimmick tool?
It's nice. At first I thought I'd be able to adjust the lower frequencies in a drum sound, but it only goes down to a low A. It's great at getting snares and toms to line up to the key your playing in. The algorithm is very clean and does better than many pitchshifters in the lower registers. I used it today to clean up some higher punchy kicks to blend better with some subby 808 kicks and it made a world,of,difference. It's definitely worth the sale price. The ability to not have to change the most promenant pitch of a sample without changing its overall tone by resampling is great. It's more of a mix tool than a fun sound design tool. I could see it being great for turning field recordings into drums. If you're looking to grab the Memorial Day deal then torque is definitely one of a kind.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Not useless...jeez. Just don't read the thread FFS. This is exactly what the forum is for.

...onto business, this looks like a really funky pitch shifter, setting threshold, speed(???) etc, after a few videos on youtube, I'm sold. Thanks for bringing it up, I'd never heard of it before. Nifty little doohickeys like this are lots of fun... might be just a resonant thing in fancy dress... provocative all the same

FWIW I used it to bring slap upright more in tune with the guitars. Shifted the harmonic not the fundamental (by about 10-15 cents). It worked well enough.

It is very good indeed. The a mistake that I’ve seen a few do is to try to use it on a drum stem and expect miracles.

It’s designed for single drum tracks and works very well in that context. It’s based on a new technology they have developed that isn’t based on the typical fourier transforms and so tends to have a unique sonic quality about it.

I’m pretty sure its just a frequency shifter. I’ve started using frequency shifters of percussion instead of pitch shifters. They can change the fundamental without doing too much damaging the harmonics. It was smart of them to add an analyzer so you can see the pitch.

The marketing video seems quite convincing.

I'd love to have it, but already I have too many plugins.

I can imagine some situations where it might be perfect (mastering/restoration/strictly if you use loops for everything) but otherwise if you need to re-tune an instrument it's best to go back to the mix and do it directly. You can kinda re-tune the sub boom of a kick in a full mix for example, but the midrange thud stays as it was... which ends up sounding weird and ironically out of tune.

I guess as a creative tool it could be worth a look too - and the price on sale is really good.

Just don't expect miracles is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Return to “Effects”