Save as results in distortion

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed that even though a file will play undistorted in the program with meters above 0 ,when you save the file a lot of the time it is clipped and sounds digitally distorted. Surely what you hear in the app should reflect the result file. Not just based on meters thanks

Hi!
Tripper2 wrote:I noticed that even though a file will play undistorted in the program with meters above 0 ,when you save the file a lot of the time it is clipped and sounds digitally distorted. Surely what you hear in the app should reflect the result file. Not just based on meters thanks
Acoustica uses 32 bit floating point internally. During playback, any peaks above 0 dB should be clipped. You can save the file with peaks above 0 dB if you choose a floating point output format (e.g. Wave with 2 bit IEEE). If you save the file as 16 or 24 bit, Acoustica will clip anything above 0 dB.

Best,
Stian

A previos thread related to the present one, under the title "Acoustica Premium 7.0.56 - how Acoustica deals with clipping?", might perhaps interest Tripper2.

Mr. Stian, you could maybe include some explanation about this matter (clipping, ways of saving files with or without clipping) in the Help files. There seems to be no information about all that in the Help files. In the Index, a click on "Clipping" only provides information on the DeClip module.

Regards,

Paulo

Hi Stian, thanks ,its good to understand whats going on there but I still think although technically it makes sense,it doesnt make sense from a musical point of view..I dont think ive come across this in any audio daw before. That is,what you hear is not what is printed to the file. Thanks T

This is actually the way all major DAWs work as far as I know. The audio is processed in floating point internally and clipped if rendered to an integer format. The audio device should clip if the output values go outside the legal range, so the audio output should be the same. Only the meters will show different values.

We'll add a new warning system in v7.1 so that users get informed when the audio is clipped during saving. That's probably more effective than placing a warning in the help.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”