Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

0degree wrote:@Aleksey - interesting, I always thought plugin devs compile on default compiler for the given platform - MSVC for win and Clang for osx. Is intel compiler really that faster?
For me, and the way I "think" when writing code, IntelC++ is faster, on Voxengo Soniformer plugin (very processing-intensive) compiled for x86 I get 8% more efficient code with IntelC++ than with gcc-c++ 7.3 (in MSYS2), in both cases SSE2 is enabled (can't check other instruction sets as SSE4 and AVX is not supported by 100% of user computers). That may not be considerable difference if you factor in compiler license cost.

I've also tested some other applications (high-quality image resizing, and gcc-c++ is even more behind - IntelC++ is 15% faster).

Well gcc/msys/mingw64 are kinda expected to be slower on win systems but I’ve heard some time ago Intel compiler really shines when it comes to numerical intensive code. I thought it was more like a myth but here we have some real world example.

0degree wrote:Well gcc/msys/mingw64 are kinda expected to be slower on win systems but I’ve heard some time ago Intel compiler really shines when it comes to numerical intensive code. I thought it was more like a myth but here we have some real world example.
The last time I had tried the intel compiler the cost of additional optimizations were painfully slow compilation time but that was 4-5 years ago. Maybe it has improved since then.
~stratum~

stratum wrote:
0degree wrote:Well gcc/msys/mingw64 are kinda expected to be slower on win systems but I’ve heard some time ago Intel compiler really shines when it comes to numerical intensive code. I thought it was more like a myth but here we have some real world example.
The last time I had tried the intel compiler the cost of additional optimizations were painfully slow compilation time but that was 4-5 years ago. Maybe it has improved since then.
From my experience gcc-c++ 7.3 mingw32 isn't much faster than Intel C++ 14 I use (pretty dated). gcc-c++ WAS a lot faster at version somewhere like 3.something. But its latest improvements came at cost.

Intel compiler really shines with just about any old code you can throw at it, to the point where it's not really even a matter of Intel being "better" but rather no other compiler really being able to compete in the same class.

Cool, thanks guys. I might give it a go some point in the future

I'm still fairly new to programming in C++ but I currently use IntelliJ CLion over other IDEs, frameworks like JUCE have beta support with it so that's always nice. I'm not sure if anyone has used WDL-OL with CLion. I'd love to know myself. Of course you can't go wrong with Visual Studio, that one will forever be a classic choice.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”