UNFILTER vs Freiraum etc.? what's your best choice?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i really love freiraum, it depends of course on your material how well it works, mostly on really well finished mixes i dial it also in only few percentages but it is not like GULFOSS analyzing in realtime, Gulfoss is mac only atm so i cannot test. i read about UNFILTER and test it atm, i dunno yet if it is something special or better? than freiraum, the realtime learning is a pro but freiraum gives nice features like adding more focus on vocals, instruments etc.

i also today demo'ed HORNET thirty one, VERY cheap plugin pricewise, the results werent my type though.

overall, anybody tested more and has some usages for specific plugins? any plugin which maybe overcomes another?

peeping @unfilter atm additionally.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Gulfoss is amazing imo. By far the best of the group of plugins you are mentioning. I also use Freiraum once in a while but it tends to be heavy on the CPU and the results vary. The fascinating thing about Gulfoss is that it makes almost anything sound better. Another plugin in that group would be Intensity. Have not been able to test that though.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I do love frei:raum but I prefer Unfilter, although mgw38 is right about that new Intensity from Zynaptiq. Test it, you’ll be amazed.

thx a lot, i think INTENSITY is a total different beast though, more like a compressor and more :).

i watched some videos and read opinions about GULLFOSS and wow, it would be really interesting to read what experiences are from MAC people who know GULLFOSS & UNFILTER?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Can't say that I have used either, but I have heard demos of Unfilter and it is on my "to get" list as soon as it comes on sale.

Although another one to look into is DSM by Plugin Alliance. It's a different type of plugin, but if you have a sound you can reference, it certainly has the ability filter out any resonant tone in a recording.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... er_v2.html

It ends up on sale often enough. Worth a look into.

Gullfoss and Unfilter both work wonders in my book. I’m amazed at how far plugins have come. May still understand why people love hardware emulations, but what FabFilter, SoundTheory and Zynaptiq do is next-level. The future is bright.

I've using Hornet Thirty-one following Gullfoss on the master bus and it somehow manages to make Gullfoss sound just a little bit better. Amazing combo.

I've got frei:raum and gullfoss, demoed unfilter a while back, out of them, gullfoss is the easiest to setup and learn and has nice touches like dragging one of the range bars passed the other to set up an exclusion zone, so you can target the lows and highs.

Frie:raum takes a little longer to learn, I use it more for the proximity eq to help bring things forwards or push them back, and the entropy eq to work on harmonics, use it a bit like a saturation plugin, quite handy for drums.

Unfilter has loads more options and I didn't have the time when demoing to concentrate and learn it's ins and out, but what I remember, it was quite handy but easy to over cook in the hands of a noob like myself.

Another option worth considering is the smart:eq by sonible, like a realtime frie:raum the eq part, zero latency, looks more like gullfoss, but doesn't seem to act quite as fluidly, not demoed it yet, as I'm more than happy with gullfoss, but might give it a try to see if it brings something different to my sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWREN9qwmU

mister-rz wrote:I've got frei:raum and gullfoss, demoed unfilter a while back, out of them, gullfoss is the easiest to setup and learn and has nice touches like dragging one of the range bars passed the other to set up an exclusion zone, so you can target the lows and highs.

Frie:raum takes a little longer to learn, I use it more for the proximity eq to help bring things forwards or push them back, and the entropy eq to work on harmonics, use it a bit like a saturation plugin, quite handy for drums.

Unfilter has loads more options and I didn't have the time when demoing to concentrate and learn it's ins and out, but what I remember, it was quite handy but easy to over cook in the hands of a noob like myself.

Another option worth considering is the smart:eq by sonible, like a realtime frie:raum the eq part, zero latency, looks more like gullfoss, but doesn't seem to act quite as fluidly, not demoed it yet, as I'm more than happy with gullfoss, but might give it a try to see if it brings something different to my sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWREN9qwmU
Thx alot. Yeah i wait for gullfoss win before i wanted to jump on smart eq :phones:

Have you looked at the new Blackbox? It's essentially automatic mastering for 75 euros.

It's standalone so there are no issues with hosts or the like. (I'll create a separate thread for it.)

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/nammick-r ... tool-42097
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “Effects”