Can I load a 16bit .wav into a 24bit project?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

might be a strange question, but from what I know you can't load different sample rates into one another (if you know what I mean by that), but I am quite uncertain about whether the same applies for files/settings of a differing bit depth.

Could anyone clarify? :ud: :?:

No problem doing that I'd say.
Internally audio files (or the rather the audio 'information' stored in them) get converted to 32 or 64 bit float anyway in most DAWs.

Thanks for the quick reply. :) kind of thought that since I had never heard of an issue arising with this, plus bit reduction can be done live with many effects. 8)

You can import 16-bit wav files no problem! Your DAW will likely be working internally at 32-bit "floating point" so will accept 16/24 as native. No conversion or loss of quality.

But... if you can source 24-bit versions instead then do so as they'll have a lower noisefloor and slightly more dynamic range from the get-go. Not a biggie though.

MogwaiBoy wrote:You can import 16-bit wav files no problem! Your DAW will likely be working internally at 32-bit "floating point" so will accept 16/24 as native. No conversion or loss of quality.

But... if you can source 24-bit versions instead then do so as they'll have a lower noisefloor and slightly more dynamic range from the get-go. Not a biggie though.

Thanks, I kind of guessed that one would have lower noisefloor and a little more dynamic range if the source file/s are 24bit to begin with. Since I'd be taking recordings off my mini kp2s, which natively records at 16bit 48khz, I don't really have that choice, though.

It's kind of strange - the mini kp2s has been on the market for a while, but there are not that many thorough reviews and from what I remember the reviews that do mention its recording format said it was 24bit 48khz, same as I use for my projects nowadays. As it turns out they are 16bit 48khz .wav files in actuality, though.

In Pro Tools yes you can load 16 bit into a 24 bit project and as long as the Sample Rate is the same - there is no conversion necessary.

No problem, word length of file will expand to DAWs native length as soon as you do anything to it.

Return to “Production Techniques”