Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
A3ntar
KVRAF
2017 posts since 6 Sep, 2005

Post Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Hey KVR, long time no see :)

Just thought I would share with you guys my latest discovery in guitar amp simulation, Waves PRS SuperModels.

These ampsims are a beast. Anything you throw at them sound gorgeous with little to no tweaking.

After having tried several amp sims during the last 15 years, I settled pretty much on S-Gear (big fan), TH3 and Revalver as my goto virtual amps, and I tried every single simulation pretty much that came out.

But after having tried the PRS Archon simulation, I am ready to dump all other ampsims (at least for amplification, might keep the TH3 and Revalver for effects).
Combined with a single coil, this amp cleans are so creamy you could melt, yet can do crunch and vintage pretty well. I am in love :)

Now mind you I don't do heavy nor high-gain, so I can only judge it's performance based on my style of playing and my needs, but for 49$, to me it is a steal.

Daimonicon
KVRist
291 posts since 30 Aug, 2012 from Sweden

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Havn't used ampsims since Kemper came out but after listening to PRS Supermodels they do sound much better than other ampsims. Oh, and forget Waves old ampsims. They sucked really bad when they came out against other ampsims,commercial or free. :lol:

A3ntar
KVRAF
2017 posts since 6 Sep, 2005

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Daimonicon wrote:Havn't used ampsims since Kemper came out but after listening to PRS Supermodels they do sound much better than other ampsims. Oh, and forget Waves old ampsims. They sucked really bad when they came out against other ampsims,commercial or free. :lol:
Agreed. The old GTR was definitely sub-par. Nothing to do with the new sims.

jens
KVRAF
18848 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I completely disagree - while I as well think the Supermodels are great, I also quite GTR and have no problems at all to get a good sound out of them.
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

bill45
KVRAF
2210 posts since 15 Jun, 2006

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Yeah Gtr 3 is great for clean and fx

jinotsuh
KVRist
303 posts since 31 May, 2008 from Australia

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:39 pm

I am a huge fan of Waves products, but in my opinion, I'm sorry to say overall the PRS Super Models pretty much suck, I own them, one of the few plugs in recent memory that I have had buyers remorse over, but they only cost me $29, so no real biggy. Comparing to other amp sims I have, and I own pretty much everything in the software realm, I really don't think much of them at all. PRS SM's don't even come close to my go to Amp Sims, I can't actually ever see me wanting to even try and use them. But that's just my opinion, doesn't make me right or wrong, and it is just that . . . an opinion.

acousticglue
KVRist
436 posts since 27 May, 2008

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:53 pm

If I had i7 8700 cpu wouldnt be issue and would be fine but using bx amps a lot lately. I like Kuassa, Fender 2 A4, Sgear and some Bias amps. If cpu comes down and $29 again maybe

A3ntar
KVRAF
2017 posts since 6 Sep, 2005

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:03 pm

jinotsuh wrote:I am a huge fan of Waves products, but in my opinion, I'm sorry to say overall the PRS Super Models pretty much suck, I own them, one of the few plugs in recent memory that I have had buyers remorse over, but they only cost me $29, so no real biggy. Comparing to other amp sims I have, and I own pretty much everything in the software realm, I really don't think much of them at all. PRS SM's don't even come close to my go to Amp Sims, I can't actually ever see me wanting to even try and use them. But that's just my opinion, doesn't make me right or wrong, and it is just that . . . an opinion.
Out of curiosity, which Supermodel amp do you own?

simon.a.billington
KVRian
1412 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Re: Waves PRS SuperModels Amps, they rock!

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:53 pm

jens wrote:I completely disagree - while I as well think the Supermodels are great, I also quite GTR and have no problems at all to get a good sound out of them.
Yeah I do quite like the old GTR too, I'll use them along side my Brainworx amps, the few IK ones I have or even Logic's own. While GTR can do with an overhaul, it is still quite capable.

Although the PRS Supermodels are a breath of fresh air.

People have got to be careful when comparing amp sims against amp sims. No two amps sound alike, the more vintage they are the more they deviate. Mics, the recording space, the recording gear are another factor too.

Check this out for a real life example...
https://youtu.be/HY3LB_e-8mM?t=6m57s

Return to “Effects”