.settings files

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
May I ask what is the purpose of the two "settings" files - one set located in the C:\ProgramData folder and another set located in the [user] folder. For example:

The C:\ProgramData folder
ValhallaPlate\ValhallaPlate.settings
ValhallaRoom\ValhallaRoom.settings
ValhallaVintageVerb\ValhallaVintageVerb.settings
~
ValhallaPlatePreferences\[none]
ValhallaRoomPreferences\ValhallaRoomPreferences.settings
ValhallaVintageVerbPreferences\ValhallaVintageVerbPreferences.settings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The User folder
ValhallaPlate\ValhallaPlate.settings
ValhallaRoom\ValhallaRoom.settings
ValhallaVintageVerb\ValhallaVintageVerb.settings
~
ValhallaPlatePreferences\[none]
ValhallaRoomPreferences\ValhallaRoomPreferences.settings
ValhallaVintageVerbPreferences\ValhallaVintageVerbPreferences.settings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am creating a backup-restore batch file and am wondering if these settings files should be backed up as well?

Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

The .settings files are where the copy protection for the plugins resides. If you don't have the .settings files, the plugins won't authorize (until you reauthorize them with your .vkeyfile).

The ones with "Preferences" in the name are the files that store the GUI preferences (i.e. which color scheme to use). If you don't move these, the plugin will create these files again the next time they are run.

As far as why they are installed in 2 locations, this is due to variations between OS revisions, as well as how people set up their systems (the former is more of an OSX thing, the latter more of a Windows thing).

Sean,
Thanks for the update.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”