"Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:01 am

Greetings.

I'm a fan of experimental/neo-classical music and I really wish I could make some music close to Olafur Arnalds, but I didn't find all needed tools yet :D
I love the percussion sounds in this track :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kYc55bXJFI
but I really couldn't find any.
Which type of Sample library, VST is needed for that? (Or which type of process on normal percussion tracks is needed?)

Regards.

synaesthesia
KVRAF
2002 posts since 24 May, 2008 from London, UK

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 am

Apologies for the appalling self-promotion aspect of this, but...

I'm a big fan of Olafur Arnalds too and decided to make my own drum sample library in the same vein of his sound - crunchy, lo-fi, analogue vibe.

Anyway, take a listen and see what you think. Might be what you're looking for.

http://www.theunfinished.co.uk/shop/algorhythms-02/

:)

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:19 am

synaesthesia wrote:Apologies for the appalling self-promotion aspect of this, but...

I'm a big fan of Olafur Arnalds too and decided to make my own drum sample library in the same vein of his sound - crunchy, lo-fi, analogue vibe.

Anyway, take a listen and see what you think. Might be what you're looking for.

http://www.theunfinished.co.uk/shop/algorhythms-02/

:)
Thanks, I'll take a look :)

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 am

Any more suggestions/ideas?

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Someone suggested me "processing existing samples" is better, but I really can't find any good way to process my existing samples.
Is there any other suggestions?

Eauson
KVRian
836 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Haghiri75 wrote:Someone suggested me "processing existing samples" is better, but I really can't find any good way to process my existing samples.
Is there any other suggestions?
There are so many options that my finger would be tired writing them all :)
http://www.notam02.no/web/prosjekter/mammut/?lang=en

Interesting bit of kit this, have a play see what you think, I'm not sure what system you are using, this comes in all flavours.

Paulstretch, put samples in stretch, then audacity to slow down again, mix with your original samples.??

This is just a sample of what's out there, you could use effects or a sampler.

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/instru ... sts/newest
Check kvr software section and put in your preference, freeware, paid and see what comes out :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 am

Eauson wrote:
Haghiri75 wrote:Someone suggested me "processing existing samples" is better, but I really can't find any good way to process my existing samples.
Is there any other suggestions?
There are so many options that my finger would be tired writing them all :)
http://www.notam02.no/web/prosjekter/mammut/?lang=en

Interesting bit of kit this, have a play see what you think, I'm not sure what system you are using, this comes in all flavours.

Paulstretch, put samples in stretch, then audacity to slow down again, mix with your original samples.??

This is just a sample of what's out there, you could use effects or a sampler.

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/instru ... sts/newest
Check kvr software section and put in your preference, freeware, paid and see what comes out :D
Unfortunately Audacity fx couldn't help me process. Also, I have a bunch of delay/reverb fx on my computer (I use Windows 10 and FL Studio 12) and I really couldn't make that sound. I searched for toolkits like "Olafur Arnalds Compose Toolkit", but there's only Piano library and not percussions.

Stefken
KVRian
584 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:44 am

Probably me, but I don't regard the percussion in this track as very specific.
Processing should get you there; just tweak the sounds.

Personally I'm fond of Evolution from Wave Alchemy (on sale now); it has a lot of processing options.
Mind you: I didn't say Evolution is the answer to your question. I just say I like it and has a lot of possibilities; it is more oriented towards house and modern genres but has plenty of samples and processing options.

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 am

Stefken wrote:Probably me, but I don't regard the percussion in this track as very specific.
Processing should get you there; just tweak the sounds.

Personally I'm fond of Evolution from Wave Alchemy (on sale now); it has a lot of processing options.
Mind you: I didn't say Evolution is the answer to your question. I just say I like it and has a lot of possibilities; it is more oriented towards house and modern genres but has plenty of samples and processing options.
Nice. I added some delay/reverb on drums, but I couldn't get that exact tone. I also tried some EQ and Compression. But result was close, but not the same.

Stefken
KVRian
584 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm

The full version contains a LOT more samples to begin with.

And how many covers do you know that nail the sound exactely? I would focus on getting the style right.

(You can always take a look at synthesizing drummachines like Microtonic. Microtonic has a very broad range in the sounds it can produce. But as i said the sounds you're looking for are not that specific. )

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 am

Stefken wrote:The full version contains a LOT more samples to begin with.

And how many covers do you know that nail the sound exactely? I would focus on getting the style right.

(You can always take a look at synthesizing drummachines like Microtonic. Microtonic has a very broad range in the sounds it can produce. But as i said the sounds you're looking for are not that specific. )
I really don't want to "cover" that song, I may start a new project soon, and its style will be close to "Living Room Songs" by Olafur Arnalds, and this is why I asked here.

I'll take a look on "Microtonic", thanks.

User avatar
rod_zero
KVRAF
2900 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 am

The kind of sounds there are synthetic percussion, mostly analog like. He probably doesn't use HW, for kiasmos he uses mostly software.

So what to me stands out is that the percussion sounds are "dark", not much high end content.

I think I would start processing with something like XLn Rc20, it has different modules to degrade and saturate the sound. But just with a high pass filter and keeping volume down is a good start.
dedication to flying

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
2342 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Don‘t forget tasty distortion

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

Haghiri75
KVRer
26 posts since 20 Mar, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:23 am

Most of my problem solved. Lots of sounds could be found on Electronic/ Dream Pop expansions from EZDrummer. But, I still couldn't find this "shshhshshshs" type sound from 1:22 :

https://youtu.be/0kYc55bXJFI?t=1m22s

What is this? a snare drum processed?

User avatar
Delta Sign
KVRist
487 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Re: "Olafur Arnalds"-styled percussions

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 am

That's just filtered white noise with an LFO/envelope on the amp and a delay.

The drum sounds in that track are very simple. What makes them work is the mixing in the context of the track. You'd probably be surprised how boring and simple they'd sound on their own. The contrast between the acoustic sounds and the simple electronic drums is what makes it work.

Return to “Instruments”