2.4 vid is out

Official support for: bitwig.com
mholloway
KVRian
956 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:02 pm

abique wrote:The step modulator can also advance by note on in 2.4.
Yeah, noticed that, excellent enhancement of the device!

Now I wonder, did they make it possible to draw steps freely (e.g. drawing a bunch of steps with one click and swipe) rather than being forced to set the levels one at a time, as it has always been, and which seriously kills workflow imho....
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6153 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: 2.4 vid is out

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm

abique wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Does sampler have the voice stacking that the synths have? I never used sampler before and have been computerless for a couple months so I can’t check. Hope so.
Yes it does. That gives you quite a lot of possibilities to play with granular stuff ;-)
Indeed. I was hoping this would be the case and had mentioned in a previous post that if sampler went granular, along with voice stacking, that would give it Falcon/Halion type multi-granular, since you can now trigger multiple grain streams with a single note, which are offset with voice modulation affecting the position etc. Sampler is going to be extremely powerful now.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5012 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm

... and I can finally retire most of my old controller scripts - hallelujah! :-) :party:
Really great job on that Midi Channel implementation! :tu:
That opens a lot of doors.

Fun!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there."
Rumi

ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6153 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Another thing they do need, at least for the mpe modulations, is an expression curve editor for the modulations. For example like Equator and Strobe have, which is very useful to delay the aftertouch signal for example when you also have velocity modulation.

I’m sure people would find other uses for modulation curves as well. Unless I’m missong a way to do that already.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

pdxindy
KVRAF
13888 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
abique wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Does sampler have the voice stacking that the synths have? I never used sampler before and have been computerless for a couple months so I can’t check. Hope so.
Yes it does. That gives you quite a lot of possibilities to play with granular stuff ;-)
Indeed. I was hoping this would be the case and had mentioned in a previous post that if sampler went granular, along with voice stacking, that would give it Falcon/Halion type multi-granular, since you can now trigger multiple grain streams with a single note, which are offset with voice modulation affecting the position etc. Sampler is going to be extremely powerful now.
I'll be retiring my various VST samplers and granular synths...

mholloway
KVRian
956 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Now if only this update would stop my iMac fan from running so fast & loud whenever I'm using BWS, then I'd truly be happy :|
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

krixa
KVRist
166 posts since 8 Apr, 2012

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Congrats to bitwig team for a good update. Congrats to the users with active update plans.

Many new features in last releases but I will stick with bitwig v1 until the GUI is fast as lightning :tu:
Need a 10% discount on Fabfilter plugins? Send me a PM, cheers!

Phil B
KVRist
35 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Great update. Love what they’re doing fostering creativity via DAW structure. The new midi devices have my head spinning with ideas. Sampler looks very cool

coltpeacemaker
KVRer
26 posts since 5 Jun, 2015 from Perth Australia

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Oh ya cycles does seem like it will be a better quality timestretch than granular for preserving the original character.
My guess is the high quality timestretch in Bitwig would be too cpu intensive for the sampler so the've done the Cycles as a way to accomplish the same thing... seems like an interesting and creative approach!
Possible ! But i doubt bitwig is going to hold off on high quality stretching to save cpu! Other DAWs manage it just fine, you need to move forward not sit back worrying will customers CPUs be able to handle the extra load. People have to at some point update older computers if they are to stay in the loop! I certainly don't want them to hold off on functions overs power issues....My 2 cents :tu:

coltpeacemaker
KVRer
26 posts since 5 Jun, 2015 from Perth Australia

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Quack Quack wrote:
rodanmusic wrote: I'm look for workflow improvements and useful features not new modulators and small instrument updates every time. I need updates for things I will use all the time not elements I will use once every few months. I need things like piano roll updates, GUI speed increases, project loading speed improvements, a better mixer, better help manual (currently barely relevant or useable. I have to search google to figure things out every time because the manual is such a mess), etc.
I agree, I would much prefer workflow tools and over all daw speed enhancements. I've been waiting for a velocity ramp tool forever. Bitwig is the only DAW that doesn't have this. Oh and an intuitive way to work with groove like most other daws have. Oh well I guess I can skip this update.
I agree too 100% The mixer fader is way too small and need to be enlarged like most DAWs!I find using the slider a pain sometimes, and i know i can input the value but i like to use the faders!

jarnold
KVRist
78 posts since 28 Feb, 2005 from Oz

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:11 pm

On the 2.4 page list of new features it does say "And more..." so there could be other enhancements/improvements they're not currently listing. I guess we'll see when the beta arrives...
MacPro 6,1 // Bitwig 2.4 // Reason 10 // Soundtoys // UAD // Vintage Hardware

Randall P. McMurphy
KVRer
27 posts since 24 May, 2007

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

mholloway wrote:Believe it or not I'm most excited about the two new modulators, Parseq-8 and Note Counter -
I just happen to love performative rather than time-based modulations, like the above (the panning is controlled by whenever you choose to play the keys, not by a locked time-grid such as every 1/4, etc).
Yep same here this is sick. I wrote them to ask if they could add a note based advance to Steps not too long ago. Really like the CV way of using gates to trigger events, this is a good way of approximating that in the digital world.

jbw
KVRist
247 posts since 31 Oct, 2013

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 pm

xbitz
KVRAF
1985 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm

"And more..." please, please, please ...
velocity ramp
together with note (pattern) brush with scale quantization

:pray: PR needs love too :hug:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

don_looney
KVRist
119 posts since 18 Oct, 2015 from Germany

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Cant wait for 2.4. Looks amazing. Activated my update plan in march to support the devs. For me Bitwig is far the best DAW on the market.
RME Babyface Pro / Moog SubPhatty / Maschine Studio / AE Modular
Bitwig / Cubase Pro 8

Return to “Bitwig”