Bass Master

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
hhuang9611
KVRist
380 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:51 am

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ass-Master
A new instrument from loopmaster. Any thoughts?

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10081 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Bass Master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 am

The truncated link shows ass master :shock:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

hhuang9611
KVRist
380 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 pm

:D Lmao... Probably PB precisely calculated this so that this link will appear more attractive here on kvr.
Mushy Mushy wrote:The truncated link shows ass master :shock:

e@rs
KVRAF
3686 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 am

IMHO, ass > bass.

simmo75
KVRian
995 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm

So not a synth, it’s samples.

sin night
KVRian
1181 posts since 1 Aug, 2006 from Italy

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:08 am

I can do the same with other tools (by using a sampler and/or more than one synth), but this looks like a nice and well thought tool. The "direct" option for the sub layer is a really nice idea, I often miss the possibility of keeping the lowend clean sp easily.

I think this plugin is closer to samplers than synths, but it's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.
Using samples for layering means that the phase relation between the layers will be the same for each note, so the result is more consistent (and this is important when layering bass). Otherwise you would probably need to layer some synths which can retrigger the oscillator phase at each note... I'm not saying you can't layer two vco-based synths, but it's easier to reach consistent and predictable results by using samples.
Of course it will sound... well... like samples? but you don't always need a vco bass... I guess you loose something and you gain something else...

This plugin is not the right tool for me (I like using my hardware synths, programming my own sounds, sampling them, etc), but I understand the reasons behind this tool... good "standard" sound + workflow improvement = winner (even if I won't buy it).

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7126 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Which clearly got your attention immediately.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:33 pm

BONES wrote:
Which clearly got your attention immediately.
Yes so clearly it hardly warrants mentioning.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7126 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:53 am

Yet here you are, mentioning it yet again.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:55 am

BONES wrote:Yet here you are, mentioning it yet again.
Clearly you’re bored.

DrReacto
KVRist
97 posts since 21 Apr, 2016 from US

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 pm

The sub layer on bass master is a great addition especially when you can set it to 'direct' to prevent any effects from changing it. While I can get great bass sounds from a number of my other VST synths, (especially Dune), I find that with Bass Master I'm using less track effects, usually none. The bass sounds already seem mix ready and I don't feel the need to 'enhance' them as I would with one of my other go to synths. EQ is usually right other than some subtractive eq to get it to fit in the mix.

Bass Master is like the easy button if I just want a great bass sound that works in my song so I can focus on composition and not tweaking settings. I recently discovered it can make a great lead synth as well just playing it up a few octaves. The NI TRK01 could have been a contender also but they didn't give it midi control???

Someone said it plays samples which seems about right. However software synths to me really blur the line of synthesis techniques as they are all so virtual anyways, unlike many of the synths from the 80s that had physical oscillator chips and very identifiable synthisis structures.

andymcbain
KVRist
182 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 am

I bought it - it's fun and it sounds good (nice tight envelopes). I don't find I need to do much further processing on the results either. It's a bit limited, but that appeals to me. I can knock up a decent sounding bass quickly and easily with this.

Would I pay more than the intro price for it though? Probably not.

Return to “Instruments”